Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car, broken down already.

I’m feeling bad as I’m the one that suggested Lexus too and it’s unfortunate it’s happened. 
lovely car, very comfortable, all the tech you could want for, a really enjoyable drive home from the dealership even if we could not work out the high beam on the way home. 
I’ve just a small 15 year old VW Caddy as I’m a Gardener by trade and well it’s a van and does it’s job and has just about every creepy insect you could think about making a habitat inside 😊

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think its appalling from Lexus and the AA.  If Lexus are using the AA as their recovery company Lexus should be ultimately responsible for the situation..I'd be bending their ear big time and onto the dealer principal.  

Compare this to Mini / BMW. My wife had a simple engine management light come on and a message to contact a dealer ASAP. She drove a few miles home, within 30 minutes recovery was at home, was unable to determine the problem, the car was recovered to our local Mini dealership and a Enterprise Hire car dropped off at the house. 

It turns out the car needed a software update and was sorted the next day..Thats what you expect from owning a new car, under warranty. Not what we're reading here

Now I know its unusual for a Lexus to break down and perhaps that half the problem .

It’s a March 2019 NX with 6000 on the clock. Sorry my description should have been better.

to be fair Lexus did drop off a courtesy car the next day within an hour of phoning and the Sunday it broke down they were shut as it was after office hours.

I remember back when I worked hard and picked up a nice BMW 318is from my local BMW dealer and at the time I had a old Mini 1275gt which was not really a standard mini by any means and within 2 weeks that was on a trailer after the head gasket failed. Then the windows packed up and after that the engine management failed, all under warranty but back then I never had a courtesy car. 
I think cars are always a gamble no matter what and sometimes unlucky stuff happens. 

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The car was new to them.

There is more to this than meets the eye.

We shall wait and see.

What’s running through my mind is have the AA damaged the car hence the delay and why is it in a secure lockup which does not make sense. I find it strange why they did not run it over to the dealership as they said they would.

2 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

Am I right in saying that Lexus Breakdown Service wasn't engaged for this (I know they're the same thing), but that you went through 'normal' AA procedures? If so that may have had a play in this.

Yes she used her AA membership and I did say she should have used theirs but she was flustered at the time. That did not help I’m sure so technically it’s not Lexus recovery used.

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

What’s running through my mind is have the AA damaged the car hence the delay and why is it in a secure lockup which does not make sense. I find it strange why they did not run it over to the dealership as they said they would.

Like I said Stu.....let`s wait and see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Hmm.... I take it they DO know they can't tow it?! 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alpine said:

6k  / brand new shouldn't make a difference - its the same cover. However I guess Lexus have a get out clause if recovery was requested independently so hold off blasting the dealer principal :wink3: 

I'm Intrigued as to why they just didn't take it to Lexus unless there was something in his good lady's AA policy that said otherwise ?.

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

6k  / brand new shouldn't make a difference - its the same cover. However I guess Lexus have a get out clause if recovery was requested independently so hold off blasting the dealer principal :wink3: 

I'm Intrigued as to why they just didn't take it to Lexus unless there was something in his good lady's AA policy that said otherwise ?.

Probably never read the Handbook and accompanying explanatory literature ?

• Haha 1

It was to be taken to the nearest dealership as per her cover and the AA chap confirmed it and it was due to be taken there Sunday night and that’s when it ended up elsewhere. She’s been chasing them up daily.

lets see what tomorrow brings, touch wood it finally arrives at the dealership. 

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

I think its appalling from Lexus and the AA.  If Lexus are using the AA as their recovery company Lexus should be ultimately responsible for the situation..I'd be bending their ear big time and onto the dealer principal.  

Compare this to Mini / BMW. My wife had a simple engine management light come on and a message to contact a dealer ASAP. She drove a few miles home, within 30 minutes recovery was at home, was unable to determine the problem, the car was recovered to our local Mini dealership and a Enterprise Hire car dropped off at the house. 

It turns out the car needed a software update and was sorted the next day..Thats what you expect from owning a new car, under warranty. Not what we're reading here

Now I know its unusual for a Lexus to break down and perhaps that half the problem .

You were lucky then, in 2015 I had horrendous problems with a brand new mini and their recovery service Allianz. Recovered it incorrectly and damaged the body. BMW customer service was awful and not interested. 

38 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

You were lucky then, in 2015 I had horrendous problems with a brand new mini and their recovery service Allianz. Recovered it incorrectly and damaged the body. BMW customer service was awful and not interested. 

Yes I believe you told us about your horror show with Mini - not good. We've been fortunate with two. Lets hope Newfies good lady doesn't think this story is normal with Lexus and gets put off the brand.

It will be Interesting to see what the issue is as new car breakdowns on this forum are as rare as rocking horse poo. 

5 minutes ago, Newfie said:

March 2019

Should be OK if it's used regularly. I think the auxiliary Battery is the achilles heel of the Lexus hybrids if they aren't used a lot. I had to call the AA out about a year after I bought my IS300h,  new 12miles on the clock when delivered. Just wouldn't start. AA man jump started it but it happened a couple more times. I just don't use them enough to keep the Battery charged. Now I use a Battery conditioner to keep it going OK.

• Like 1

Well a nice deep breath but my companion managed to put Diesel in even after I questioned her. 
the damage is 2 fold, £1000 to have the engine and tank cleaned out and she Loses warranty on the petrol side of the car or £6000 to have all the parts replaced and keeps the warranty on the petrol side.

shes following their recommendations by having it cleaned out and will lose the warranty on the petrol side so if anything happens i.e. I guess injectors and so on she would have to put up with a replacement costs.

i’m mighty surprised she even managed to get the diesel nozzle into the car but then again she obviously managed to do it. I’ve told a lessons learned and that she should take more notice when filling up.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Well a nice deep breath but my companion managed to put Diesel in even after I questioned her. 
the damage is 2 fold, £1000 to have the engine and tank cleaned out and she Loses warranty on the petrol side of the car or £6000 to have all the parts replaced and keeps the warranty on the petrol side.

shes following their recommendations by having it cleaned out and will lose the warranty on the petrol side so if anything happens i.e. I guess injectors and so on she would have to put up with a replacement costs.

i’m mighty surprised she even managed to get the diesel nozzle into the car but then again she obviously managed to do it. I’ve told a lessons learned and that she should take more notice when filling up.

I am so pleased to learn that the car did not break down.

An expensive lesson, but it can happen to us all.

• Like 2

What a costly mistake to make on a new car. Hope it never happens again! Hope it's fixed totally for 1k. Is Lexus charging for loan car as not their fault, or not charging for it as having them do the work?

James.

• Like 1