Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car, broken down already.

10 minutes ago, JamesIS220 said:

What a costly mistake to make on a new car. Hope it never happens again! Hope it's fixed totally for 1k. Is Lexus charging for loan car as not their fault, or not charging for it as having them do the work?

James.

There’s no mention of loan car charge but I would think that may be in the final invoice.

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I am so pleased to learn that the car did not break down.

An expensive lesson, but it can happen to us all.

Yes she’s learnt. She has to take it on the chin, hopefully it’s just a clean out required and no real damage done. 

I did say To her if you struggle with the nozzle when filling it was telling you something but hey ho it’s done now.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, Newfie said:

She had filled before her trip and I asked if she had put diesel in by mistake and to check her receipt

On 11/18/2019 at 11:18 PM, Newfie said:

Yes she confirmed it’s petrol, I did dig a bit just in case.

Did you or she manage to check the receipt?

I expect the diagnosis is correct, unfortunately, but it would be good if you'd seen the documentary evidence on the filling station receipt. You probably don't want to spend a lot of money without being absolutely sure of the problem.

• Like 2

Yes I’m sure she did see the receipt which was just the card paying details according to her so I even asked her to contact the garage and I hope she was honest with her replies to me. 
really they should charge her for the loan car she knows she has to foot the bill. I’m her companion, no type of relationship, just good friends so I can’t say what’s on my mind being on the polite side. 

1 minute ago, Newfie said:

Yes I’m sure she did see the receipt which was just the card paying details

I've checked a couple of card receipts I've still got from different filling stations and they both say "Unleaded" on them. Then quantity, pump number, price etc. If she's got the receipt, there's a good chance it would confirm one way or another whether it was diesel.

• Like 1

Just now, Thackeray said:

I've checked a couple of card receipts I've still got from different filling stations and they both say "Unleaded" on them. Then quantity, pump number, price etc. If she's got the receipt, there's a good chance it would confirm one way or another whether it was diesel.

I’m sure it did but being a Gentleman I can’t say too much to her. 

Putting diesel into a petrol car doesn't usually do much apart from making lots of smoke as it burns. Doing it the other way, petrol into diesel can be quite catastrophic for the diesel engine.

Given the above I'm quite surprised that the car actually broke down in the first place, although I suppose it depends on how much petrol was in the tank when she put the diesel in.

• Like 1

I think that the £1K "fix" may well be OK. If you put petrol in a Diesel then there is insufficient lubrication of the high pressure fuel system from the petrol and pump failures may occur. Putting Diesel in a petrol car will just cause it to not run as the fuel will not vaporise as it emerges from the injectors. A good clean out may well be "good enough".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Putting diesel into a petrol car doesn't usually do much apart from making lots of smoke as it burns. Doing it the other way, petrol into diesel can be quite catastrophic for the diesel engine.

Given the above I'm quite surprised that the car actually broke down in the first place, although I suppose it depends on how much petrol was in the tank when she put the diesel in.

When I was in it on the way home from the dealer she put half a tank of petrol so it was roughly just over half a tank when she filled it to the rim. I would like to know the warning on the dash that came up. 

she drove it around 2.5 miles before parking it up. not knowing too much about the system it could be maybe it ran on Battery for part of that trip too.

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Hells teeth

I'm not sure I've ever seen such a tale of woe on here.

We got there in the end.

its unfortunate she did this and in a strange way as I had recommended the car I’m happy it was not mechanical or electrical and a mistake on her part because I was feeling bad .

all but this forums I visited on various cars had issues here and there, and when I read this forum it was just the odd squeak here and there and mpg. I thought great just like all those rating were Lexus are in or just below the top in ratings, she could not go wrong with one.

hopefully after this she will start to enjoy the car but I don’t think I’ll let her loose with my van 😂

Originally We looked at electric, Tesla’s, the Porsche Taycan, Merc EQC but it’s still a tad early but the Porsche was very nice but she found it far too low in the sitting position. 

The RX was too large, just like the Tesla X but the NX was just right but she is worried about all the modern stuff and as she has no computer, no internet, is quite old fashioned in many ways I hope she can grasp the car. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Newfie said:

but she is worried about all the modern stuff and as she has no computer, no internet, is quite old fashioned in many ways I hope she can grasp the car. 

If she has the will to do so, she will.

I repair computers for a living and also do some basic computer tuition. One of my customers is a lady of 83 and she's as bright as a button and really looks forward to our tuition sessions. She's a quick learner and loves it.

The flip side is a guy of about 45 who really has no interest in computers but thinks he should learn as "everything seems to be on the Internet these days". Consequently he really struggles with the most basic of things.

Your friend's fate and future with the car is in her own hands.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

If she has the will to do so, she will.

I repair computers for a living and also do some basic computer tuition. One of my customers is a lady of 83 and she's as bright as a button and really looks forward to our tuition sessions. She's a quick learner and loves it.

The flip side is a guy of about 45 who really has no interest in computers but thinks he should learn as "everything seems to be on the Internet these days". Consequently he really struggles with the most basic of things.

Your friend's fate and future with the car is in her own hands.

I need to take her out for the day and go through all the various bits and bobs. I know how she managed to put Diesel in, flustered and stressed with too much on her mind which is why I mentioned it on the first page of this thread. 
I’ll take her into a garage on a fill and show her why it’s hard to put the nozzle in when it’s incorrect size wise and I might try and find a sticker so it never happens again.

That was one of the draw backs to some of the electric cars, she would need to push forward and be up to date with her phone and networking and understanding how they work and different chargers and so on. I think it would have been a tad too much in one go.

On about fuel, I run a lot of gardening equipment and the standard unleaded with its ethanol has wrecked several carbs on my Stihl equipment so I now have to use Esso premium as it’s clear of the stuff. 

• Like 1

We had our car serviced at Lexus Edgware today (GS 250). We were quite impressed with them actually, compared to other brands I have used for servicing, they seemed much better. Whist there and as the car had  clean bill of health I decided to take the additional two year warranty as seemed a good cost compared to other extended warranties available. Additionally, it covers Lexus actually doing the work rather than the low labour cost allowance on most of the others we have taken in the past.

Perhaps I am over cautious?

1 hour ago, Chris JJ said:

We had our car serviced at Lexus Edgware today (GS 250). We were quite impressed with them actually, compared to other brands I have used for servicing, they seemed much better. Whist there and as the car had  clean bill of health I decided to take the additional two year warranty as seemed a good cost compared to other extended warranties available. Additionally, it covers Lexus actually doing the work rather than the low labour cost allowance on most of the others we have taken in the past.

Perhaps I am over cautious?

A good decision Chris. One can never be OVER cautious !

1 hour ago, Chris JJ said:

Thanks! 

Perhaps I also considered what Mrs J would say if I had to pay a big bill after convincing her Lexus was more reliable than the BMW she fancied. O Hum!

Any published set of Reliability Statistics for the last 15 years would have convinced her, me thinks.

Yea I do agree the stats are very good and scientific, but sometimes life is just no so scientific when you've bought something that perhaps wasn't your other halves 'first choice'. That shiny Red BMW did look nice!

So best to consider all eventuallities to CYA.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this tale of woe. Fingers crossed no damage has been caused.

Even 'professionals' can misfuel cars. When I bought an Avensis petrol last year the salesman sent his driver off to put some fuel in it for me, unfortunately he put diesel in it.

Mum and stepdad use a small village garage where they have attendant service. He put petrol into their diesel Focus.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Sorry to hear this tale of woe. Fingers crossed no damage has been caused.

Even 'professionals' can misfuel cars. When I bought an Avensis petrol last year the salesman sent his driver off to put some fuel in it for me, unfortunately he put diesel in it.

Mum and stepdad use a small village garage where they have attendant service. He put petrol into their diesel Focus.

Thanks Nigel. It’s easy done and I can’t say anything to her but to chalk it down as a lesson.

I’ve been over there today to see her and she’s fine. She’s decided now to have the 6k work done to keep the warranty. They have to order in some parts and I will be interested to see what’s changed. 

She was worried if she sold it on with no warranty on the engine it will create an issue.

A while ago at our local asda someone managed to put petrol in the wrong flap of their smart car. Got in the car and started it and it turned into a fireball. It was only by the quick actions of someone to get them out that they survived. Better signage on cars required maybe?

Sorry to hear of the drama Stuart, at least now you know the facts you can deal with it.

She should take some consolidation in the fact this happens every day across the country.  She isn't the first and won't be the last to make the same mistake.

Might be worth checking with her insurance in case the policy has misfuelling cover on it.  We would see this in work and sometimes the customers can claim some/all of the costs back as an insurance claim.  Could be an easy resolution for the sake of a phone call.  Really wouldn't like anyone to get hit with a 6k bill this close to Xmas! 

• Like 2