Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heating taking time on 450H

As the weather is getting colder I have noticed that the heating is taking a long time to warm up the hybrid car compared to the other normal cars I have had in the past. 

It is taking approximately 10 mins after driving a bit as it doesnt look it will heat up on being idle. Both driver and passenger temperatures are at the highest and I don't use the Auto option.  I also don't have the Eco switched on.

Any tips on on making it heat faster? 

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Kopper said:

as it doesnt look it will heat up on being idle.

It should do.

When the screen is icy I leave my steering wheel lock in place but fire up the engine so that I can soon defrost the screen without having to use deicer, while I go back in the house to keep warm.

I always use the 'auto' function because it's climate control. You set the cabin temp that you want and the car does whatever it has to to keep that temp for you. As the engine heats up the air will start to blast out from the footwell area because hot air rises and this is the quickest way to achieve cabin temp.

As Peter said above, check the thermostat for correct operation.

• Thanks 1

Very surprised that the car doesn't warm up quickly. I drive off straight away from starting and car is warm within a quarter of a mile. 

My car is overnight in car port but I have to move it onto drive first thing to get the bosses fiat 500 out of the garage... ❄️❄️

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

It should do.

When the screen is icy I leave my steering wheel lock in place but fire up the engine so that I can soon defrost the screen without having to use deicer, while I go back in the house to keep warm.

I always use the 'auto' function because it's climate control. You set the cabin temp that you want and the car does whatever it has to to keep that temp for you. As the engine heats up the air will start to blast out from the footwell area because hot air rises and this is the quickest way to achieve cabin temp.

As Peter said above, check the thermostat for correct operation.

Yeah I tried the Auto a few times but getting a cold blast of air after starting is not a pleasant experience on a cold morning. 

Where do i find the thermostat? 

15 minutes ago, Kopper said:

Yeah I tried the Auto a few times but getting a cold blast of air after starting is not a pleasant experience on a cold morning. 

Where do i find the thermostat? 

This should help:

2019-11-18.thumb.png.6b3d8fe1d4b89bf0541a65029fbb8411.png1068602315_2019-11-18(1).thumb.png.83bb5d7fcdecec16aef0c7ad50555462.png

962799562_2019-11-18(2).thumb.png.c12511634604931158746f07040aa125.png1419668870_2019-11-18(3).thumb.png.d9d74a73736d5f84b4abe5640bcd63ce.png

1698908369_2019-11-18(4).thumb.png.e510adc01ce8c5afdb5f9b1bc85c621b.png946496067_2019-11-18(5).thumb.png.3480a7888a032fb388612f243f7d27a1.png946496067_2019-11-18(5).thumb.png.3480a7888a032fb388612f243f7d27a1.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Herbie said:

This should help:

I might take it back to the dealer as it has only been 2 months since I have bought it. 

The car does get heated eventually but 10 mins seems rather a long time

6 hours ago, Kopper said:

Any tips on on making it heat faster? 

Provided that hybrid cars have Atkinson high efficiency engines (better than Diesel ones), and so there is less thermal energy to use for heating, consider than in city traffic they are off half the time because of extensive use of electric engine. So, it's normal to reach proper temperature in much time compared to usual gasoline cars.

But Lexus has the solution: heated seats. 😉

Another trick , to warm up engine faster, is to set SPORT mode that forces engine to keep more time on.

Let AC system work setting it in Auto with the temperature you like, raising it to maximum value does not affect warming time.

My RC300h warms up remarkably quickly! Within 1 mile there is serious warmth coming from the vents. This is even faster than my 5.4ltr V8 could manage.

It definitely warms up more quickly when worked (driven) rather than leaving it idling.

When the a/c is set on Auto the system will not turn up the fans until there is heat available, so no icy blast.

The petrol engine will always run until up to operating temp. It's noticeable in these colder days that the engine will cut in irrespective of traction Battery level, just to supply heat to the cabin.

It will depend on the terrain which controls the speed that the engine warms up. I live 2/3rds of the way a reasonable hill. Going up the hill I have warm air within 1/4 of a mile, going down the hill and along the flat through town it takes a mile or so. And yes, that is longer than my old P38 Range Rover.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links