Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warming up in the mornings. Car defrosting....

Guys is there a way to start the car and let it warm up? Tried it this morning and couldn't lock the car despite the car being in my pocket... What do people do on these frosty mornings?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

I keep the steering lock on and go back in the house while it defrosts and gets nice and warm [emoji106]

IMG_20190120_193536.thumb.jpg.b4842dfcde3c91221fc5350f3523de70.jpg
Haha yeah that's one way to do it! I wondered whether lexus had thought about this, like my mates BMW i3, he can warm it up from using his phone!

The deletion of the electrically heated windscreen on the current IS was, IMO, a poor show for the UK market. One option I had on all my X5s and the Range Rover was Parked Car Heating. This was worth every penny as you could look out of your bedroom window on an icy day, press the remote and by the time you had showered the car was defrosted and warm. Why can't I opt for this on all modern Lexus cars?

20 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Don't forget that Hybrids are supposed to be about saving fuel. Leaving the car to warm up with the engine running is not good for the environment or fuel economy.

You could always wear a coat.

It's more about having a clear windscreen for me, being able to see and be safe. That's worth far more than fuel efficiency for me.

I'm interested in clearing the condensation inside. Outside, I can scrape.

It's nothing to do with being cold! It's about defrosting.

24 minutes ago, matt8 said:

It's more about having a clear windscreen for me, being able to see and be safe. That's worth far more than fuel efficiency for me.

I'm interested in clearing the condensation inside. Outside, I can scrape.

It's nothing to do with being cold! It's about defrosting.

How about fitting one of these? Condition the Battery at the same time..

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-uk/product-overview/product/show/ethermo-top-eco/

Or the more usual petrol version, operable anywhere (outside)..

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-uk/product-overview/product/show/thermo-top-evo-1/

• Like 2

The Webasto Diesel unit was the one fitted to my Range Rover ex-works. It is quite a big job to fit as an aftermarket unit as heater pipes and the climate control software has to be updated. However, it did work well. 

i leave home at 6.15 am and i just get in and go, your car will warm up quicker being on the move rather than just idling

and the sooner the cars warmed up the sooner you can be back in Ev mode.

to help keep the windscreen clear i dont have a hot drink before i leave on cold mornings

if i do when i breathe out the windscreen fogs up very quickly.

3 hours ago, 200h said:

i leave home at 6.15 am and i just get in and go, your car will warm up quicker being on the move rather than just idling

to help keep the windscreen clear i dont have a hot drink before i leave on cold mornings

"Just get in and go" is arguably, "driving without due care and attention" is it not  Mark?

11 hours ago, 200h said:

Presumably your car is garaged overnight or you use another method of removing the ice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inazone said:

Is there any way to lock the car while it's warming up? Perhaps turning off the smart entry feature on tech stream?

use your key element in the drivers door lock

16 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

"Just get in and go" is arguably, "driving without due care and attention" is it not  Mark?

erm No john ...

if the glass needs clearing then clear it and drive carefully like you would on any other day of the year

where is the "driving without due care and attention" in that ????

you could arguably leave your car running for 15 minutes get into a nice warm car and then drive like a ****

and i'm not saying that at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 200h said:

20 hours ago, 200h said:

That certainly gives the impression that you don't take the time to clear the screen of ice or snow before you drive off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 200h said:

erm No john ...

if the glass needs clearing then clear it and drive carefully like you would on any other day of the year

you could arguably leave your car running for 15 minutes get into a nice warm car and then drive like a ****

and i'm not saying that at all.

Mark,

If you need more to write more than 5 words to explain what you mean, then please do so.

What you actually wrote, does amount to what I said.

The term "driving without due care and attention" is an umbrella term to cover a host of misdemeanours.

I posted this on another thread regarding winter morning starts.

My winter routine..

Open car, start engine, switch on heated seats (and now I can also switch on the heated steering wheel 😎) switch on the heated rear screen and door mirrors.

Scrape windscreen and side windows clear

Get back in and drive away.

Car is pushing out warm air within 1 mile, seats are toasty warm...

Unless you are parked on private land (driveway) it is an offence to leave a car unattended with the engine running.

• Like 1

I don't have a drive way, if I do I will stick a fan heater in the car via extension leads and then proceed to clear the outer screens. By the time the outside is finished, the inside should be cleared and warm!

Right next task is to get a house with a driveway! 

• Like 2