Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just put a deposit down on a GS 300h premier 2017 from a Lexus dealer and they have offered me a GardX protection treatment on the interior and paintwork for half price. Anybody had any experience of this treatment and if so do they think it is worth it?

You don't say how much they're charging - almost certainly a lot!

You can buy the kit eg here: for £30 or probably less if you search a bit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDX-CAR-PAINT-INTERIOR-PROTECTION-KIT-GX-01-GDU-11-IN-CASE/133205002437?hash=item1f03a308c5:g:fOcAAOSw3sZc8V1x

So - is it worth the difference to have some junior apprentice apply it, or diy?

I thought Lexus dealers generally offer Gen3 Glasscoat at some enormous cost (in excess of £500). I rather think my car was treated with that when new and I must say it seems very effective and still has great gloss and rain resistance after 5 years. But most of these paint sealants only last a few months at full effectiveness. A good polish followed by wax every three months is really all you need.

Or most local mobile valeters offer a paint sealant service - you could get some quotes. I think you could save a lot. But I guess you're paying in the high twenties for the car, so maybe pennies (or even pounds) aren't too important!🙂

I wouldnt waste your money on paying for it as mentioned it's a very average product at £30 let alone what they are offering. Like most products it requires the correct preparation and dealerships are not the place to get that.

For what they are charging as mentioned get it valeted or do it yourself, there are so many easy to use products now that offer very good protection for months.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Many thanks for your comments I will defo knock it on the head and stick with a good shampoo and polish.  ( they were offering interior and exterior for £299). As it has ivory upholstery I thought it would be good to keep the interior from getting stained.

Leather protection is indeed a good idea but there are plenty of leather protection / sealant Scotchgard type products available in a can for a tenner or so.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

Many thanks for your comments I will defo knock it on the head and stick with a good shampoo and polish.  ( they were offering interior and exterior for £299). As it has ivory upholstery I thought it would be good to keep the interior from getting stained.
There are so many spray sealants nowadays as such good prices and are so very easy to use I'd stick with that. Leather treatments from somewhere like colour lock are very effective for interiors and will reduce dye transfer.

When I picked up my car they said they would do the guardx treatment as a gift, but little did they know I was just going straight home to remove it.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

On 11/20/2019 at 5:06 PM, westo3 said:

I had it done or a similar product on a Ford Capri in 1987 one of the last ones it didnt seem to be as good as when I had self treated the light grey seats in my previous Fiesta Xr2 Mk 1 with I think a water protection flouraspar based (Like scotchguard). I know I am really old but the products were a similar sell even 30 and a bit years ago.

My suspicion was least that the dealer hadn't done the job properly on the Capri and it was just a way of getting a little more profit on the deal. Unfortunately, the Capri refused to go around corners in the wet, so I can't really say if it would have worked in the long run.

Incidentally I did have a second hand car that had it and when I had the door painted, it didn't seem much different to the existing paint in either appearance or performance.

The leather sealant I am again sceptical particularly on analine or semi analline as it will do the opposite of what abalone leather should be by sealing it. Gliptone do a spray to seal leather though so if you did want to do it that would be a cheaper route and possibly more effective as their stuff is 😊  

On 11/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, johnatg said:

Leather protection is indeed a good idea but there are plenty of leather protection / sealant Scotchgard type products available in a can for a tenner or so.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

Exactly and easy to follow instructions

On 11/20/2019 at 5:06 PM, westo3 said:

Buy the gardx leather protectant from eBay. Use a chemical guys fabric stain guard on the carpets. Chemical guys blackllight is my polish of choice and after washing I use their hypno 7 spritzer to lock in the shine. All easy tand will cost you probably £40 quid max. The cream leather of my 61000 mile 2015 RX450 still looks great. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links