Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible heater problems

LS460. Please could anyone shed any light on my problem. The heating set on full heat starts hot then goes cold. Turn it off and on again it goes hot, then warm them cold. And so on. Could this big bucks to put right. Any advice please help and thank you

Tom

Gawd, variable heat at this time of year is bad.

Have you recently had the coolant changed? If so, then maybe you have an air lock?

Is your engine temperature gauge stable and in it's usual position?

Are you able to hook up an OBD reader to check the engine temp and confirm the thermostat is okay?

Aren't water pumps prone to need replacing every 100k miles? Has yours ever been changed?

Can you check both the the heater lines are warm/hot on the firewall?

Once you are sure the cooling system is okay, then I'd look at the heater servos but they're fiddly to work on. But do you hear any odd noises from the center console/heater?

Hi thank you for everyone’s advise. It started to overheat. Which could throw up a catalog of problems. So I sold it. I have not got the time to deal with this. So I will get the LS600. Thanks again for being so helpful 

It was no easy decision to sell. I have always known that in general these cars last forever. Until they go wrong. I am speaking from experience in the past. They can turn into money pits. In 30,000 miles no problems. 

1 hour ago, Angel123 said:

It was no easy decision to sell. I have always known that in general these cars last forever. Until they go wrong. I am speaking from experience in the past. They can turn into money pits. In 30,000 miles no problems. 

You're right of course, any luxury car can be like playing Russia roulette, often we dodge the bullet but when it hits it hurts!

I wonder if there will ever be an exodus back to the old fashioned, reliable and simple technology of the Ls400   :no2:

Often car buyers do seem to relish the prospect of spending their money on significant car repairs in order to have a " new ", to them,  car

Malc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malc said:

I wonder if there will ever be an exodus back to the old fashioned, reliable and simple technology of the Ls400   :no2:

Often car buyers do seem to relish the prospect of spending their money on significant car repairs in order to have a " new ", to them,  car

Malc

But, back in 1989 when the LS first arrived it was looked upon as being , absolutely, the very latest (and complicated) technology. Having said that, I do think that modern cars have a plethora of electronics - just because it's possible.

Last time I had my car serviced they gave me an ES as a loan car. Nearly all the ancillary bits and pieces were selected via, either, 16 buttons on the steering boss or by a scratch pad on the centre console.  Bloody awful...…..and I found the reason why it had Lane Keeping and Distance Keeping - to keep you safe while you're trying to select a radio station!

• Like 1