Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Isf new owner

I finally have my hands on to my MY2010 stock isf

Having been driving hybrids in the past 2 years, prius, nx and gs450h, it is something quite fresh for me. I definitely needs time to adjust from my pulse driving style.

First thing to say, the car is well built. The interior is what I expect from a lexus. The materials have hold up well for its age. The seats are in just as good shape and condition as the 63 plate GS which I have sold recently. The engine sounds epic. Thank god not another CVT.

The GS obviously offers a better environment when driving sedately. This brings me onto the SUSPENSION. It is harsh and I was expecting this coming from the GS. It is bearable for now, may look at kwv3 or 2013 set up in the near future. It is worse than my 2010 prius, almost like the FK2 Type R. 

It makes me smile though just to switch the car on and hear the sound, which is what matters.

I will update in a few months time, and perhaps talking about how it differs from my GS450h in terms of driving and usability which might be of interest to someone as I once ask the same question.

barry

• Like 3

You should have a look at the Tein EDFC coilover system I believe a member here has done it. I've fitted it to my hot Mini Clubvan and it is night and day ride wise.

• Like 2

Hi Barry, thanks for the initial comparison as I've often considered changing my GS for a fruity v8 Lexus. So I'll be very interested to hear your long term thoughts.

Regarding the harsh suspension...are the tyres low on tread, are the tyres rated with a firm sidewall/runflats, wearing unevenly (feathering) or just plain old tyres? I found my GS was getting horrid on the rough UK roads but changing the tyres (had plenty of tread left) made a big difference to the ride.

although the KW V3 are extremely good dampers they come with very low spring rates (11/8 kg I believe) and as the fronts are conical springs extremely hard to get alternatives, my assumption that they are so low would be that they are not specific to the ISF bat cater for the full IS family, if you are looking to retain stock ride height the spring rates are not ideal, although not the end of the world you will loose a but of that dynamic feel,

If you are however planning to to reduce the ride height remember this will change the roll centres and will need to be stiffer sprung, a minimal drop you in my opinion need a 14/10 setup, bigger drops a 16/12 setup (I run a 16/12 setup)

If you do go down the coilover route, whichever brand you go for make sure you have them professionally setup on corner weights as they generally come with only enough preload to stop the spring coming loose during shipping, the whole point of being able to adjust the preload and to a certain extent the height is that you can match the weight on each corner as close as possible, when you see people slating coilovers of any brand this is generally because they have not had them setup correctly.

• Like 3

Welcome to the club @Cactus

Bilstein do replacement shocks that are compatible with OEM springs.

One of the chaps on here used to run them.  Can't remember who though.

They may be worth a look as they are cheaper than most colivers.

If you do go coilover route...  As @Twellsie says...  Get them setup properly.  If you have something that has 10 different settings then you have a 9/10 chance of getting it wrong if you are just going at it with a ride height adjusting tool 😉

2 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Welcome to the club @Cactus

Bilstein do replacement shocks that are compatible with OEM springs.

One of the chaps on here used to run them.  Can't remember who though.

They may be worth a look as they are cheaper than most colivers.

If you do go coilover route...  As @Twellsie says...  Get them setup properly.  If you have something that has 10 different settings then you have a 9/10 chance of getting it wrong if you are just going at it with a ride height adjusting tool 😉

it was me that ran the Bilsteins and they ride pretty good, I do however prefer my BC Racing coilovers with 16/12 springs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Farqui said:

Hi Barry, thanks for the initial comparison as I've often considered changing my GS for a fruity v8 Lexus. So I'll be very interested to hear your long term thoughts.

Regarding the harsh suspension...are the tyres low on tread, are the tyres rated with a firm sidewall/runflats, wearing unevenly (feathering) or just plain old tyres? I found my GS was getting horrid on the rough UK roads but changing the tyres (had plenty of tread left) made a big difference to the ride.

I have not had a chance to check it yet. I do know its running on bridgestone. I am looking to stick a new set of upsized MPSS or Vredestein once i am settled in with the car.

Will let you know then.  GS also has its charm and is much more peaceful, I do miss it alot still. I woulda kept it and px the NX if It wasnt for my wife preferring the nx lighter steering and ride height -.-“

@Cactus - I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 'S' in the upsized fitting.

My rears are only just down to 3mm as of today after completing approx. 25k miles including some track work.

Incredible tyres so far and will be swapping them out for the same.

Fronts are down to 5mm having covered same distance 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twellsie said:

although the KW V3 are extremely good dampers they come with very low spring rates (11/8 kg I believe) and as the fronts are conical springs extremely hard to get alternatives, my assumption that they are so low would be that they are not specific to the ISF bat cater for the full IS family, if you are looking to retain stock ride height the spring rates are not ideal, although not the end of the world you will loose a but of that dynamic feel,

If you are however planning to to reduce the ride height remember this will change the roll centres and will need to be stiffer sprung, a minimal drop you in my opinion need a 14/10 setup, bigger drops a 16/12 setup (I run a 16/12 setup)

If you do go down the coilover route, whichever brand you go for make sure you have them professionally setup on corner weights as they generally come with only enough preload to stop the spring coming loose during shipping, the whole point of being able to adjust the preload and to a certain extent the height is that you can match the weight on each corner as close as possible, when you see people slating coilovers of any brand this is generally because they have not had them setup correctly.

Thanks for the advice. I am very new to installing aftermarket parts, so any advice is appreciated. 

I rmb one of the member Peter (the one with the supercharged ISF), mentions something about BC BR with swift springs. This is the one you are referring to right in your second post? I am struggling to find out how you can source them. 

Barry

13 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

@Cactus - I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 'S' in the upsized fitting.

My rears are only just down to 3mm as of today after completing approx. 25k miles including some track work.

Incredible tyres so far and will be swapping them out for the same.

Fronts are down to 5mm having covered same distance 🙂

@FTBBCVoodooWill do. I think they are on discount at coscto

Just to double check, that is 245/35 front and 275/30 rear or 265/35 rear?

9 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Will do. I think they are on discount at coscto

Just to double check, that is 245/35 front and 275/30 rear or 265/35 rear?

I have 245/45 front and 275/30 rear.

Double check Costco.  I think they will only fit tyre sizes as specified by manufacturer.  Not sure if this is a nationwide policy but I do remember someone on here having Costco refuse to fit them.

14 hours ago, Cactus said:

Thanks for the advice. I am very new to installing aftermarket parts, so any advice is appreciated. 

I rmb one of the member Peter (the one with the supercharged ISF), mentions something about BC BR with swift springs. This is the one you are referring to right in your second post? I am struggling to find out how you can source them. 

Barry

yes, those are the ones, I got mine through Corby motorsport, you can specify the spring rates and the dampers are valved accordingly 

14 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

I have 245/45 front and 275/30 rear.

Double check Costco.  I think they will only fit tyre sizes as specified by manufacturer.  Not sure if this is a nationwide policy but I do remember someone on here having Costco refuse to fit them.

I wanted the larger 4S fitted to my ISF, when they were on offer at Costco. Said they could only fit the manufacturer width spec tyres to the car - company policy.

Had to prove to them, by going through the owners handbook, that the rears on my s2000 were wider that the fronts. Wouldn’t change them until I showed them the documents. Don’t have a problem with that, offer a good service and price.

As an American company guess they’ve got to cover their backsides every which way due to the litigious nature of life there, and the corporate policy extends to all sites.

• Like 2

Congratulations, great car. I ran both of mine alongside my LS400 and obviously there was a difference in the ride but never unbearable in the ISF and obviously any issues were more than compensated by the sound 😀 - enjoy your new toy.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, B1RMA said:

You should have a look at the Tein EDFC coilover system I believe a member here has done it. I've fitted it to my hot Mini Clubvan and it is night and day ride wise.

That'll be,definitely the best mod ive done super smooth for cruising and in an instant changed for spirited driving.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, Twellsie said:

Some great advice there.

Welcome to the club!! They are great cars and you'll have loads of fun. @Twellsie has had the most experience with the various shocks on the ISF and gives some great advice above. 

I went from standard shocks to lowering springs on the front (Tein) in a few weeks and the difference was vast. Much more forgiving ride (but without losing any of the great handling) and a lower stance to boot. I've still got a full set of Tein H-Tech springs (fronts with 20k on, rears unused) for the car if you are interested. Let me know. 

I then went to the furthest extreme and fitted Airlift 3P a few months back. Best decision I ever made, albeit an expensive option! 

IMG_20190911_095100_175.thumb.jpg.59dbb2530c6913a64c5c302f63f6abd8.jpg

The above is aired out but normal drive height is about where I was with my lowering springs. Rides like a magic carpet but still handles like an F1 car. 

• Like 1

@Northern isf Hi. Thanks for your input 🙂 Was your Tein set up with EDFC II or did you go for active or active pro? I am trying to get my head around what the differences between them are. Have you had any issues since you have fitted them?

barry

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cactus said:

@Northern isf Hi. Thanks for your input 🙂 Was your Tein set up with EDFC II or did you go for active or active pro? I am trying to get my head around what the differences between them are. Have you had any issues since you have fitted them?

barry

Hey Barry

I went for the edfc 2 active pro with gps,you get A LOT more adjustment on this setup ive still not mastered everything without looking in the manual,it'd take me probably an hour to type the features up but thats mainly because I'm using an Xbox to type at the mo(computer issues) i love everything about it the gps function is pretty trick it maps out your chosen settings on your favourite routes and dials them in as you enter each diffrent section. On the softest setting it glides like a Rolls Royce but the more dialled in you go it becomes sharp and precise once youve worked the settings out obviously.

• Like 1

@NothernDan Thanks for the offer. Let me have a think/ I am still looking at the different options/ availability at a moment. If nothing comes up, i might opt for the lowering springs for the time being as I do drive it as a daily. Or i might go with bilstein shocks

I am aware that you get what you pay for regarding coilovers. The KWV3 is over 2k. I think the Tein set up with EDFC would be just under 1.5k?

I am still waiting to hear on the BC BR with swift spring.

I guess my other questions would be 1) which of these are easier to find replacement parts? 2) how do they compare with the 2013 ISF suspension set up? As it is about 2k to have them fitted in my local lexus dealer.

thanks

barry

1 hour ago, Northern isf said:

It was 2.5k all in fitted @ Fensport.

It's worth every penny of that cost, although mine is installed in my Mini Clubvan I have to say it has been faultless, as you say it's so comprehensive with regards to setting etc. If it is ever available for the RCF it would be essential for pre AVS cars

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

It's worth every penny of that cost, although mine is installed in my Mini Clubvan I have to say it has been faultless, as you say it's so comprehensive with regards to setting etc. If it is ever available for the RCF it would be essential for pre AVS cars

Definitely,was a bit sceptical at first as tein havnt got the best record but after a lot of reseach and finding a few ISFs in japan fitted with the same i read their experience and finally bit the bullet.

Any pix of the mini

always loved them.