Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2021 Lexus UX 300e

Absolutely. If fact I have been considering a Tesla Model 3, although I'm waiting to see what Lexus are going to deliver in this area.

200 mile range would note be enough for me though.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Really been looking forwards to see what Lexus can do on the EV front. 

The UXe is clearly a first gen EV product, with a 50kWh Battery there is no way it'll do 250 miles, even 200 miles will be a struggle for it. But that will change with the next EV Lexus brings to market - hopefully with a bespoke EV platform. 

Our Tesla has needed this list of things fixing at 2 year old car and 30k.

1: Drivers side A pillar rebuilt 
2: New sun visors
3: New steering wheel
4: New door latches FWD
5: New door motor passenger side
6: New rear hatch latch 
7: New FWD sensors
8: New drivers seat
9: New front suspension links
10: New front drive shafts
11: New key fobs
12: New MCU screen
13: UV treatment for new MCU screen.

In addition, the driver door latch got stuck a few weeks ago and I couldn't close the door, and the front lower suspension links is now making a knocking noise!!

In contrast our IS300H has been faultless at nearly 5 years old, and if you open the bonnet its looks still brand new but just a covering of dust you would expect if you leave anything uncleaned for 5 years!!

44780161995_b87b151bf3_h.jpg 

We did have a Model 3 on order but cancelled it, am glad to see Lexus has finally joined the EV movement. We're happy to wait another few years and see how Lexus EVs develop, our IS300H will am sure go on and on and on, so no worries not that front with no rush to replace it. 

• Like 4

I too am glad to see Lexus/toyota finally produce an EV, but the UX300e is a pretty poor first attempt now. It's a 2014 kind of performance with a 2018 sized Battery

It's some EV bits shoehorned into an ICE platform, so it does not realise the various packaging benefits that EVs offer - purpose built EVs offer more interior space for less exterior size than ICE cars - the UX300e does not. Even the regular UX250h has been heavily criticised for offering poor passenger and boot space compared to its competitors. 

It is FWD. Now I'm not some raving "Give me RWD or give me death" lunatic - I understand the reasons and benefits of FWD, just as I do RWD. The thing about an electric car is that it can deploy torque instantly, and FWD platforms simply can not cope with it - you just get wheelspin. Even my 80kW Leaf could struggle, and the UX300e is 150kW - similar to the Kia e-Niro and Hyundai Kona EV, both of which have huge problems in this regard also. In engineering a car platform, if you're developing it as an EV from the ground up then it will be RWD as a default (see VW MEB platform, Honda E, Ford Mustang Mach E, Teslas) - FWD only exists because of the packaging benefits it offers for ICE drivetrains. Once they've gone away in an EV then FWD is just a problem. 

Battery capacity is fine - the vast majority of people massively over-estimate what they need on a day to day basis. As ganzoom said, it won't do 250 miles, I'd estimate it will range between 120 and 200 depending on weather etc. The problem that they have is that a smaller Battery capacity is fine IF it comes with decent charging capability, and this is where it all falls apart. This vehicle offers "up to 50kW" charging - that's the same as a 2011 Nissan Leaf. The Kia e-Niro and Hyundai Kona offer up to 77kW, and my Model 3 offers up to 170kW (pending 2019.40.x software update to enable - currently 100kW). 

However, all of that said, there's a really strong use case for the UX300e. If you're a 2-Lexus family with an RX450hL or something as the "main" car then this is the ideal second car. Second cars rarely if ever go on long motorway trips. They do the school run, go to the shops, to and from work. Being able to fill up on your driveway overnight means that charging is simply a non-issue. 

I suspect that this is a vehicle that is going to struggle in the face of competition. VW's iD4 and Audi Q4 etron will be on the market by the time this comes out, and the Tesla model Y will be looming large over the whole compact SUV sector (but I do accept that it is a size class above the UX). And, of course, the Volvo XC40R is already launched in that space (but admittedly at a high price - Volvo need to get it down and quick). 

Again, as ganzoom said, Lexus/Toyota need a bespoke EV platform!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, i-s said:

I suspect that this is a vehicle that is going to struggle in the face of competition.

I doubt Lexus are expecting high sales, but its a good step in the right direction. Showed my wife today and if hopefully the next IS will also be an EV, which I think she will happily swap into.

Good to see Toyota and Lexus finally making the leap to full EV, but hard to see the UX300e being more than a niche model unless it gets more range. I thought the TNGA platform on which the UX and ES are based was designed from the outset to accommodate a range of drivetrains. But is seems there's a specific e-TNGA platform in the offing:

https://www.electrive.com/2019/10/21/toyota-introduces-their-e-tnga-platform/

• 2 weeks later...

@ganzoomSorry to hear about the problems with your car. Unfortunately it seems consistent with the build quality of other US car brands. Packed to the rafters with gadgets to help while away hours of highway driving at 55 mph, but low-rent interiors of very patchy quality. I wonder whether the Model 3 will fare better.

I will probably buy something like the UX300e, depending on range

I am afraid the range advertised by every EV car manufacturer is misleading. When cold and AC, heated seats and steering wheel etc activated, expect half if not less from the advertised range.

I have the 225XE, advertised electric range 30miles, usually it's about 17, today ( pretty cold outside) started with 19 miles predicted and   after 5 miles of driving EV mode  it showed 8 miles left in the Battery.

I understand that other EV vehicles are  quite similar.

Roughly the same size Battery as a Renault Zoe 50 (53 KW usable on the Zoe, 54 (is that total or usable) on the UX) yet a heavier car.  Renault reckon 245 WLTP during the summer - expectations are closer to 220 in the summer and 180 in the winter, so I don't see how the UX could get close to 250.

Also seen else where - no CSS charging on a post 2017/8 design ... worse still it will be AC one side and the Japan only spec on the other.  Rest of the world (aside from Tesla outside of Europe) are going CSS for a good reason - global standardisation.

To me this feels like a 'we need something ASAP before we miss the boat' attempt rather than a serious, ground up design.  Hopefully the next one will address that.

• 1 month later...

Re the Tesla build quality issues:  I test drove a Model X about 18 months ago and on the dealer demonstrator one of the (in my view excessively complex) rear doors didn’t work. A shame as it was a nice drive and there is clearly less mechanical stuff to go wrong but the build does seem patchy. The Model S in the showroom had some scary panel gaps. 

4 hours ago, Macscrooge said:

Re the Tesla build quality issues:  I test drove a Model X about 18 months ago and on the dealer demonstrator one of the (in my view excessively complex) rear doors didn’t work. A shame as it was a nice drive and there is clearly less mechanical stuff to go wrong but the build does seem patchy. The Model S in the showroom had some scary panel gaps. 

Same outside the showroom - I work just down the road from their main offices in West Drayton and when walking past I'm reminded a bit of De Tomaso Panteras - no two are quite alike (I have a picture of the last two RHD panteras parked up at Goodwood when I was doing a track day there and you'd think they were different build periods).  Just as the Model 3 was coming out over here I tried the one in the not-a-show-room (as they do not have those any more).  Putting aside as a short arse (5 foot 4) I could barely get in or out of it, when I commented about Tesla no longer giving free charges the not-a-sales-droid quipped that they used to give free for life charging to make up for the crap build quality (and yes he did say crap) - hoping he was not in ear shot of his colleague as the guy actually was a real petrol head at heart and we had a decent petrol header's chat.

• 6 months later...

The Kia E-Niro and Hyundai twins have shown the world that we can get a small, practical crossover with a realistic 200-250 mile range for just over £30k. I'm happy paying a bit more for a luxury car like a Lexus if the interior and driving experience are a step above, but I am going to need that range. I want to be able to get at least 3-4 hours' motorway driving in before I stop for a serious break, and motorway range is often far lower than even the most pessimistic manufacturer estimates...

Your move, Lexus. Impress us.

Nick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the same price as a Tesla model 3.
Sure, build quality may not be the same, but you get a while lot of car, range, space, performance and tech for the money.

I think the price of the UX is very hard to justify... Even for a Lexus fan.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

Oof, that's steep. It's the option packs that kill it - if they were able to get feature parity with a top-spec F-Sport +Takumi Pack 250h then there'd be plenty of people stroking their chins thoughtfully. Still, early adopters and all that - I daresay the next-generation model will be cheaper with more range, and in ten years' time there will likely be little justification to choose the petrol model.

Baby steps!

I have been thinking that my next car would be the UX 300e. When I saw the indicated prices about a week ago I changed my mind as I can't see the value when compared to vehicles like the Kia E-Niro.

If I stay with Lexus next time it will have to be another Hybrid.

Does anyone buy these things as a private buyer anyway?

100% FYA makes it a bargain - think about £11k off in taxes taking into account 20% personal use. 

Only 50 coming to the UK

I have spoken to a few people with Tesla Model 3s and they all say they got them on the company to take advantage of the tax break. I din't like to ask if they would have got them without the incentive but I suppose that is what incentives are for. (To make Elon Musk richer).

BTW, i'll let you know of my impressions when it arrives 😉

Its going to replace the IS300h and will only cost me £30k for a brand new car so theoretically could trade it in after a year and make a profit. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, rayaans said:

BTW, i'll let you know of my impressions when it arrives 😉

Its going to replace the IS300h and will only cost me £30k for a brand new car so theoretically could trade it in after a year and make a profit. 

Model 3 or UXe? 

3 hours ago, F.A. said:

Model 3 or UXe? 

UX300e

Although I suppose the trade in argument is applicable to both. Both are £30k cars brand new if your accountant knows what he's doing

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, rayaans said:

except that when you dispose of that asset, you will be balanced charged for the full amount you sell it for which will be added to your taxable profits.