Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service - 50K : advice

BGC

So I’ve had the CT for around 3 months and love it. 
I totally agree that the experience of owning and driving far exceeds the ratings given from test drives. 
I now need brake pads and my SatNav etc updated. I see the big service with Lexus IS roughly £500 without the brake pads I know I need. I use an independent garage I really trust (Marshall Autocare) normally but don’t expect they can do the software update. 

can anyone give me some advice about what options I have in order to keep servicing costs to a minimum. 

Also wondered if there were any service plans I ought to consider by way of long term saving. 

• Like 1

The 50,000 mile service is only an intermediate service "the smallest" basically an oil, and filter change. At 60,000 miles a major service is done that includes spark plugs. The dealer should be able to do a software update at the intermediate service if one is required. Satnav updates are expensive for what they are, and in my opinion not worth it unless you rely on the satnav on a regular basis.
Check on line at the Lexus web site as things like brake pads changing are at fixed prices "something not all dealers tell you about", but pad change at 50,000 miles sounds very early for the CT as most of the braking is done by regeneration. A 100,000 miles plus is not unusual for the smaller hybrids. There is nothing special about the brake pad change, and any garage should be able to do this for you.

John.

• Like 1

Cheers John. Problem is previous owner didn’t do the 40k one so would prefer to get the big one done if I’m doing it. 
think you’re suggesting going locally for the brakes but Lexus for the service. 

30 minutes ago, BGC said:

Cheers John. Problem is previous owner didn’t do the 40k one so would prefer to get the big one done if I’m doing it. 
think you’re suggesting going locally for the brakes but Lexus for the service. 

Before going ahead look carefully at the two services "intermediate, and full" and note the difference. You will find there is precious little difference between the two in work actually done, and if you have an MOT done this covers all the extras in greater depth. 
The engine, and cabin air filters you can change yourself without getting your hands dirty in minutes, and buying them online will save a considerable sum on what the dealer will charge you for them.

There are Three levels of service on the CT:- 

Intermediate.     Basically an oil, and filter change with some cursory checks or what I call look sees. These are done at 10k, 30k, 50k, 70k, 90k, 110k, miles
Full.      Still basically an oil, and filter change with a few more look sees. Anything found that needs doing is an extra charge. These are done at 20k, 40k, 80k, 100k, miles.
Major.      Oil, and filter change, plug change, brake fluid flush, and at 120k only coolant change plus the usual checks.

The car has to be MOTd every year, and this covers in greater detail all the checks carried out in the services so in effect you pay for the checks to be carried out twice with no gains. Having only the intermediate service with a hybrid system check "this is free with any service and extends the HV Battery guarantee by 1 year or 10k miles" will still get the service book stamped, and the MOT will cover all the checks. You must ask for the hybrid check with the service, but it is free with any service.

Obviously the major services should be carried out at 60k, and 120k miles. 

As said previously brake pads tend to last for very high millage's, and dealers will often tell you they need changing when they do not. Also check on the Lexus web site as a lot of standard repairs are at a fixed price that the dealer does not always tell you about. This is for things like pads, discs, coolant pumps and such.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi in relation to the sat nav update I usually pay £40-£50 for my sd cards on eBay. If you look on lexus eu website it tells you the latest version and you copy the new model on eBay and you will get a bargain. As for our car we get 10% off for additional service items as we have a service plan.  I do agree 50k for new brakes is a bit alarming. We had a 50k service and they said to us that breaks are fine. But we do about 4-5k miles a year. The latest version is pz445 us335 0t

2 hours ago, BGC said:

Sorry folks. It’s 60k. Not 50k. My error. 

The 60k service is a major service at a fixed price of £475. Below is a list of things that should be done, but read the "at first glance" impressive list, and note that a  great majority of items are check only, and some do not relate in any way to your car.
Note the bottom two lines. Additional charges apply if extra work is carried out. All checks, and inspections are visual no dismantling of components is carried out. In other words they do not even take the wheels off.
There is an important item missing from the service, and that is re-greasing the brake caliper slide pins that are known to seize, and cause braking problems as many will testify here on LOC.
I do not in any way see this service as value for money.

http://l1-movies.lexus-europe.com/media/downloads/GBEN/Lexus - Service Table 0418.pdf

John.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, Britprius said:

pad change at 50,000 miles sounds very early for the CT as most of the braking is done by regeneration. A 100,000 miles plus is not unusual for the smaller hybrids.

I'd agree with that. Have you got a figure for what the brake pad measurements are?

On an IS, front pads were worn from 12mm when new, to 9mm at 45,000 miles. The rear pads were worn from 10mm to 8mm. On that basis, I'd say they still have another 100,000 miles in them! I don't know what is considered a safe margin to wear them down to. But if you can safely change them at 3mm, which I've read somewhere, then 3mm wear so far on the fronts is just one-third of the total  likely wear.

If you haven't got a measurement for the pads, I'd be inclined to get one and find out precisely what the situation is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

I'd agree with that. Have you got a figure for what the brake pad measurements are?

On an IS, front pads were worn from 12mm when new, to 9mm at 45,000 miles. The rear pads were worn from 10mm to 8mm. On that basis, I'd say they still have another 100,000 miles in them! I don't know what is considered a safe margin to wear them down to. But if you can safely change them at 3mm, which I've read somewhere, then 3mm wear so far on the fronts is just one-third of the total  likely wear.

If you haven't got a measurement for the pads, I'd be inclined to get one and find out precisely what the situation is.

In actual fact William the Lexus figure fore minimum thickness of pads is 1 mm while the MOT failure figure is 2 mm.

John.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Britprius said:

the Lexus figure fore minimum thickness of pads is 1 mm while the MOT failure figure is 2 mm

Thanks for that. I knew there was some reason I'd stored 3mm in my memory - a bit of a safety margin and it leaves plenty of time to get the pads changed. I also aim to change tyres around 3mm even though they're legal down to 1.6mm. I think I've also read that around 2mm tyre grip in the wet starts to deteriorate significantly, so I plan for around 3mm.

Am I right in assuming there would be a warning message on the dashboard if the pads got too low? If so, which wheels have the sensors, assuming there aren't sensors on each wheel?

1 minute ago, Thackeray said:

Thanks for that. I knew there was some reason I'd stored 3mm in my memory - a bit of a safety margin and it leaves plenty of time to get the pads changed. I also aim to change tyres around 3mm even though they're legal down to 1.6mm. I think I've also read that around 2mm tyre grip in the wet starts to deteriorate significantly, so I plan for around 3mm.

Am I right in assuming there would be a warning message on the dashboard if the pads got too low? If so, which wheels have the sensors, assuming there aren't sensors on each wheel?

Some cars have sensors on all wheels some only on one pad on each axle, and even then they maybe electrically operated dash warnings or just tuning fork type mechanical noise makers. With the Toyota/Lexus range of vehicles "it also applies to other manufacturers" if the caliper slide pins seize due to lack of servicing "even though it is not considered a service item witch is ludicrous" them the pad on one side of the caliper can ware at a rate fare exceeding the other pad. This worn pad may not have a sensor on it since the manufacturers believe the pads will ware evenly. This renders the warning device useless 

I agree totally with your tyre replacement strategy at 3 mm as at below that depth the water clearing capability of the tyres becomes drastically reduced.

John.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links