Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Used RX Buying Advice

Hi All,

I’m on the lookout for an RX and am pondering going to view the one in the link below. It has had the cambelt changed, FSH with a recent service, looks in nice condition (but need to view) and the trader has told me they have swapped out the air suspension for normal suspension. They also told me they are one of the biggest breakers of Lexus cars in the country, so have good knowledge and many spares.

Does anyone have experience of them or opinion on the car?

Cheers Jules

https://www.stellarmotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-rx-300-3-0-se-5dr-bolton-201911224644992

30 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

At that mileage I'd be looking for evidence of a proper transmission service (not a flush).

Thanks for the advice so will ask and check. What does a transmission service involve over and above changing the oil? Seal etc?

That aside any comment about the suspension? It’s been 9 years since I last owned an RX so am guessing replacing the air suspension for the standard coil over is merely for cost effectiveness given the value of the car at this age? So makes sense.

Run it up to temperature then remove the pan, let the fluid drain out, replace the filter assembly and refill with the correct fluid. Ideally should be done every 50k or so but manufacturers like to claim their units are "sealed for life". This is technically true, because when the fluid's all burned up that's the end of its life 🙂 but most people would prefer the life was as long as possible. A transmission *flush* is not the same thing, they typically don't remove the pan or replace the filter assembly.

• Thanks 1

It's less than 3k buy it rag it ,if anything goes wrong throw it back at them within 30days buy it on your credit card this gives you buyer protection through your card company  any warranty offered is not worth the paper it's written on .if keeping it after 30 days have a full service done 

Appreciate the responses.

Aside from the MOT history advisories and service history info, which should give some indication of the cars condition. What are the other problematic areas that could be costly if undetected? The suspension has been sorted, wear items such as pads, discs and tyres can be checked on viewing, so what else is worth checking?

Cheers.

Appreciate the response but at 15 years old it’s unlikely to have dealer branded parts fitted?

Tyres wise are we just talking avoid budget brands?

Oil filters - some aftermarket are as good as OEM, so what should I be aware of?

Similar with the Battery - surely the brand can’t be a major issue, but if the amps rating etc is correct then should be fine.

What do you think the PPI could uncover that I wouldn’t, that could present a risk?

Cheers Jules

Just do a check for outstanding credit which a dealer normally does .drive the car for a decent amount of time on mixed roads no stereo on or sales knob talking in your ear ,does it pull well ,no pulling on steering side to side no abnormal noises does it pull up straight is the engine quiet and no smoking etc pull out dipstick colour and smell of oil freshness coolant levels ,check rad for signs of leaks and corrosion .pull up boot carpet and trim no water ingress or signs of crash damage .really the usual stuff get your overalls on and check the rear subframe and body lower seals for rot rust . Lastly check everything works inside take your time.

• Like 1

An OEM oil filter is around £12, there's really no reason to use anything else unless you're running a car on a shoestring budget. Sure there may be aftermarket filters that are as good or even better, but how are you going to know when the company gets sold and the new owner suddenly starts cutting costs by having all the parts made as cheaply as possible? The OEM filter may not be the "best filter" but it probably is the best chance you have of consistently *not* getting a bad filter.

Anyway that's a side discussion, it's more about looking at the overall picture and those things are clues as to how the car has been treated. If they're all brands you recognise or can find good information about - great. If they have no branding or are the cheapest stuff available online, mismatched budget tyres and a dodgy-looking Battery, I'd walk away from that car.

• Like 1

Great info and exactly what I’d do on an inspection.

I’ve noted from the MOT history that in 2015 rear subframe and suspension components corroded, so suspect this has now been dealt with give no more advisories or MOT fails. Will check though to be sure.

I’ve posted in the wanted section for an RX300 hoping a forum member may be selling, but no luck so far.

Cheers Jules.

4 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

An OEM oil filter is around £12, there's really no reason to use anything else unless you're running a car on a shoestring budget. Sure there may be aftermarket filters that are as good or even better, but how are you going to know when the company gets sold and the new owner suddenly starts cutting costs by having all the parts made as cheaply as possible? The OEM filter may not be the "best filter" but it probably is the best chance you have of consistently *not* getting a bad filter.

Anyway that's a side discussion, it's more about looking at the overall picture and those things are clues as to how the car has been treated. If they're all brands you recognise or can find good information about - great. If they have no branding or are the cheapest stuff available online, mismatched budget tyres and a dodgy-looking battery, I'd walk away from that car.

Cheers Mark, good advice. I’ll check.

With the tyres then I agree about having different brands on different wheels and this does put me off. Possibly not a deal breaker at this price range as decent cars like these can get into the wrong hands. 

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Hi All,

I’m on the lookout for an RX and am pondering going to view the one in the link below. It has had the cambelt changed, FSH with a recent service, looks in nice condition (but need to view) and the trader has told me they have swapped out the air suspension for normal suspension. They also told me they are one of the biggest breakers of Lexus cars in the country, so have good knowledge and many spares.

Does anyone have experience of them or opinion on the car?

Cheers Jules

https://www.stellarmotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-rx-300-3-0-se-5dr-bolton-201911224644992

Read these reviews. They relate to Mosesgate which changed its name to Stellar Motor Company. Buyer beware!

https://www.cardealerreviews.co.uk/dealership/moses-gate-car-sales-bolton-lancashire-england

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Read these reviews. They relate to Mosesgate which changed its name to Stellar Motor Company. Buyer beware!

https://www.cardealerreviews.co.uk/dealership/moses-gate-car-sales-bolton-lancashire-england

Great info and much appreciated. Are you sure they are the same company?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Great info and much appreciated. Are you sure they are the same company?

Stellar took over the Moses Gate stock of cars, I cannot be sure of anything going forward, but looking back, it seems pretty obvious.

We had a member on this Forum, I might be wrong,but I think it was a John from the Gloucester area, who bought an LS from them. If he reads this thread he might chip in with appropriate comments.

As I said Jules, it is buyer beware.

Great stuff and appreciate the buyer beware. Their reviews now as Stellar are very good, but that could be contrived. Shame as the car looks decent, but don’t want to be travelling there from Nottingham if it’s a waste of time. I normally buy second hand cars privately, but there aren’t many RX300’s available privately.

Cheers Jules

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Great stuff and appreciate the buyer beware. Their reviews now as Stellar are very good, but that could be contrived. Shame as the car looks decent, but don’t want to be travelling there from Nottingham if it’s a waste of time. I normally buy second hand cars privately, but there aren’t many RX300’s available privately.

Cheers Jules

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

Just noticed it did have a tow bar fitted and now doesn't. That would make me wary. If it's been used for towing alot, that has put a lot of stress on the auto box and transfer box...

• Like 1

A regular comment on the MOT history is on suspension bushes, front and rear. Is it a straight forward job on the RX?

• Offside front lower suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))