Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking caps required! 93 Remote Key

Care to help me with some head scratching please?

When I purchased my LS it came with the valet key and the skeleton key. I've had a master key cut from the skeleton key onto a new blade from the USA so that I can get into the boot without needing both keys. The remote key was lost sometime in it's 27 years. Maybe when the previous owner passed away.

I soon figured out that the ignition barrel does not link to the immobiliser? You can start the car with the valet key and the metal blade from the skeleton key. Neither has a chip.

So I'm thinking here that the alarm and immobiliser only arm from the physical action of the key in the door turning? The light comes on at this point.

When it comes to the remote key, does the remote key arm the immobiliser or is it again the action of the key locking the door which does this?

I've recently purchased another 1993 LS for some bits I wanted. Low and behold it came with the remote key (Most seem to be missing it or the system has failed). I replaced the Battery and it works!!

I'm thinking now, how do I incorporate this key into my system?

Do I need to swap the control unit the key talks to between the cars and hey presto? As the immobiliser seems independent. Then swap the blade in the key.

Do I need to swap all the locks, ignition barrel and control unit over to make it work?

Can I just recode my current unit to the key I now have and swap the blade with one for my locks as there is no chip at work?

Seems several possible ways and wondered if you lot have any previous experience or ideas?

I'm on the long road to making my car perfect and to reinstate the factory locking would be great! It's a neat feature with the beep and the control dial for volume and I'd like to restore the functionality!

Also on a side note. The donor car has an issue where opening the passenger door with the key sets the alarm off. There's an invoice regarding work on the lock and I'm wondering if they maybe wired it up wrong? Seems a bit odd when the driver's door works fine and does open and unlock the passenger door. It also unlocks remotely.

Thanks!

Alexander. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The central locking control ECU is located in the boot, left side behind the carpet, more or less opposite the boot lid hinge.

If you remove this ECU and open it up you will find an 8 pin integrated circuit chip plugged into a socket on the board, this is programmed to the key you have.

If you replace the chip in you car’s central locking ECU with the one from the donor it should then work with the key you have in your car.

Or just fit the donor car ECU in your car but check to make sure the part numbers of both ECUs are the same.

Which ever method you chose be sure to disconnect the Battery first.

Changing the key blade is difficult as it is bonded into the housing and there is a wire soldered to it for the aerial, if you do open the fob be careful to avoid the push button and spring flying out, never to be seen again!

The usual cause of the alarm triggering when opening doors is a dodgy door light switch, a good dose of contact cleaner usually proves effective.

If you want any help and a trip to Derbyshire let me know.

I've had a look Steve and it doesn't look like you can separate the blade at all sadly! I'd have to use 2 keys or hope that if I get the new key I've seen it comes with the ROM card. As I can't find programming notes for a 1993. b10535d3492f068e180bf4cd3080710e.jpgd7b28cdb2c00bc1f306d20d820a7743a.jpg

You don’t need to reprogram, the key and the chip are factory matched.
And do they always come together as a set? As I mean if I get a replacement key from the USA it won't match the chip in my car currently?

If you can still get them from Lexus they come as a set, normally 2 keys and the chip, I’ll take a look for you.
Thank you. I've seen them at 2 places online myself but they haven't responded to the query!

From Amayama a 2 key and chip set is £432.00 plus shipping, this may also attract import duties and VAT on top!
This might beat it as my friend from the USA can bring them over for me at Christmas. Look right to you? Finding Amayama can't seem to supply half the things they claim to have stock of...2c4acfbf7df1b674718e9d617f79f62b.jpg

This might beat it as my friend from the USA can bring them over for me at Christmas. Look right to you? Finding Amayama can't seem to supply half the things they claim to have stock of...2c4acfbf7df1b674718e9d617f79f62b.jpg&key=d5ba896196282b3d517770c298f7b88af64d89f9f8e2e8902703006c4cc55343

This was from Longo Lexus.

That part number doesn’t match anything on Toyodiy?
I called them and turns out it needs RK not BL on the end which means the blade will come precut for the vehicle. 50946 for one key. 50947 for two keys and 50948 for three keys. They come with the chip so Longo recommended buying a multi set so the chip and key set doesn't need buying again in the future. They can't supply without proof of ownership so might have to get Lexus Chester to order it on my behalf through the network.

The remote key was lost sometime in it's 27 years. Maybe when the previous owner passed away.

Not sure if you are suggesting that the Boot can be remotely opened with a key?

Not to my knowledge or I've been missing a trick. 

Won't open when car running from interior lever and I doubt it possible using a seperate key.  Or am I talking twaddle?

The remote key was lost sometime in it's 27 years. Maybe when the previous owner passed away.
Not sure if you are suggesting that the Boot can be remotely opened with a key?
Not to my knowledge or I've been missing a trick. 
Won't open when car running from interior lever and I doubt it possible using a seperate key.  Or am I talking twaddle?

No, the boot on a 93 can't be remotely opened with a key. It only has one button for the doors. Just the key in the lock and the lever inside with the ignition off will do it.

Lexus UK are going to provide keys for me!

• Like 1