Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I listed my IS 220D on eBay and sold it for £463.00.

Thought list it before it overheated and then only realistic option would of been scrap it, if stranded, and probably get nothing for it.

I had 19 months use and 13,000 miles out of it. I paid too much for it at the time of £1,475.00

It has been loosing coolant for the last 10 weeks, so suspect head gasket. Runs well, with no oil mixing or overheating and I liked the build quality, shape and colour. Didn't like the turbo lag or gearbox lag in 6th.

Once my funds have cleared the buyer is collecting and  its being transported off to Poland for parts.

I'm going to have just my 1996 Volvo 940 for now and may buy another Lexus or Toyota in the new year, but automatic. Budget probably 5k

James.

IS 1.jpg

IS 2.jpg

IS 3.jpg

IS 4.jpg

IS 5.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe we should start a national countdown to see how many is220d’s are being scrapped lol. Mine an 07 plate getting rid before next mot due next July. Like yourself enjoyed the is as a car but fed up with mine too esp the vsc eml lightshow, otherwise car runs great no oil, coolant loss. Been a comfortable 3yrs in it but time to move on to newer Lexus for me before bills mount up.

£463 seems low but I got offered £125 for mine from ac. Bloody tyres and Battery worth more than the car lol

12 hours ago, Scouselexus said:

Maybe we should start a national countdown to see how many is220d’s are being scrapped lol. Mine an 07 plate getting rid before next mot due next July. Like yourself enjoyed the is as a car but fed up with mine too esp the vsc eml lightshow, otherwise car runs great no oil, coolant loss. Been a comfortable 3yrs in it but time to move on to newer Lexus for me before bills mount up.

£463 seems low but I got offered £125 for mine from ac. Bloody tyres and battery worth more than the car lol

It's such a shame as the body is rust free, just the engine on mine a major disappointment. Surely when they drove it thought the gearing wasn't good and the turbo lag too much. Love the safety, comfort, radio, build quality. A bit more R&D by Lexus and auto it could of been a great drive.

Thing is there are lots of IS 220D for sale and for 1k can get a fully working one. I would never pay 3.4,5k for a 220d as not the best. I quite like the GS450H but worried about big bills on a 10 year old Lexus. Also like the IS 250.

What are GS 300's like reliability wise? Quite fancy something a bid bigger in the rear leg room than the IS. If something will do 30mpg, then happy as my 2.3 litre petrol Volvo auto does that.

In the time I have had my IS, I bought a full size used matching alloy and tyre. I replaced the Ac condenser (nissens £150) 2x regas £60 each and 4x new Avon ZV7's 3 months ago! £234.00 Plus oil/ service and a few odds and ends. 

What Lexus are you thinking of?

The lack of my 23 year old Volvo 940 auto 2.3 petrol, giving me big bills is the reason I keep it as it just goes and goes and being self employed in property maintenance a great work horse. Just replace the service items and add fuel. Large engine bay so easy access.

I'm looking for similar in a Lexus.

James.

A real shame that you were disappointed in it. But good to see that you haven't lost all faith in the brand. £5k will get you a very nice car when you're ready and then you'll finally get to see what everyone else is banging on about! I've been on here about two and a half years and if I've taken one thing from the various reliability threads it's to avoid the oil burners. 

• Thanks 1

Hi James, had same idea as you, saw an 09 gs300 near me, Mesa red cream leather, 50k immaculate for just under 6k. Bloody went before could see it. Only thing put me off at time was £500+ved and probably big insurance bill.

Now I’ve had a taste of Lexus will be getting another. Don’t know if it will be an is250, a gs non hybrid maybe an Rx. Decisions eh. 

May even break bank and get a later plate car. Just like the old ones interior wise over the more modern say 3gen models. Roll on June 2020 when have to bite the bullet and find a Lexus in whatever form it takes.

Not ruling out a hybrid Just don’t want extra bills on top of looking after an older car but to be fair my is has only cost me tyres,battery,services, mot, so not ruling out an older model plus this forum great for info

• Thanks 1

Thanks for replies.

Yes want cheap VED. Prius of 2007 vintage seem £10 a year!! Seems a change in 2017 to a flat rate.

Anyway I asked the buyer to cancel his Paypal payment as he had arranged to collect the  car before the payment had cleared into my account, as on hold. Or bring cash, as transporter collecting. Didn't want to release car without full cleared funds.

On a google search it seems a buyer could collect or get collected the car or other posted goods and then say it never arrived or cancel the payment while its pending. Or if you cant prove postage/ the buyer receiving it, it will be refunded by Paypal out of your money.

He got a refund and I keep the car.

James

paypal is no way geared up in favour of the seller only the buyer so steer well clear of any payments for vehicles ( especially if they say it’s going abroad...alarm bells should be ringing!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.confused.com/sell-my-car/guides/avoiding-online-car-selling-scams

Very common scam, I had a call for every car I sold on autotrader.

"I am abroad .... I will send money via paypal and someone will collect it"

So there is no proof of collection by the buyer.

One more tip when you buy japanese cars or even toyota never buy diesel go for petrol. Best choice for japanese cars and no turbo problems or dual mass flywheel .

• Thanks 1

Thumbs up to hellrider. My last car I had before the lexus was a Toyota Corolla. Had it from 05-17 cracking car. Didn’t like the Auris so got the is cos cheap lol. Must say like the look of the new corolla. Saw the new Camry in car park, it’s bloody huge but looks nice. But at the mo i❤️Lexus

• Thanks 1

At some point ALL is220d need a new head gasket or new engine. If you get there fast enough you can get it repaired for 2.5-3k. But if head or block is damaged its game over. Reconditioned factory engine block used to be around 5k.

New improved gasket. Head will be skimmed for some mircons, because the place where gasket fails has a very small defect after. New rubber engine seals, intake and egr clean etc. They will remove the engine and have your car for a week.

If you car is perfect otherwise and you keep it later it makes sense to fix it.

European scrap yards are full on UK is220d-s. People are buying only engines from there to fix their broken one but only get scammed every time. Scrap UK bare block is around 500 EUR here. Its tempting, this vs 3k fix from dealer.

21 hours ago, daisellex said:

At some point ALL is220d need a new head gasket or new engine. If you get there fast enough you can get it repaired for 2.5-3k. But if head or block is damaged its game over. Reconditioned factory engine block used to be around 5k.

New improved gasket. Head will be skimmed for some mircons, because the place where gasket fails has a very small defect after. New rubber engine seals, intake and egr clean etc. They will remove the engine and have your car for a week.

If you car is perfect otherwise and you keep it later it makes sense to fix it.

European scrap yards are full on UK is220d-s. People are buying only engines from there to fix their broken one but only get scammed every time. Scrap UK bare block is around 500 EUR here. Its tempting, this vs 3k fix from dealer.

I certainly wouldn't replace the head gasket due to costs. IS 220's are cheap on eBay UK. Should of bought an IS250.

My first buyer I cancelled the sale and second buyer hasn't responded to my messages yet! Probably read the stories of the IS220D issues! Worst case it goes for scrap!

My next car I'll try a Toyota prius Hybrid.

James.

• 2 weeks later...

Second listing sold it for £490 Buyer didn't pay or collect it.

3rd time listed it at £375.00 classified and sold it same day, yesterday for £350. Paid and collected this evening! I am now Lexus less! Going to be used for spares then scrapped.

Like Lexus as a brand and may buy a Prius. May look round dealers up to 10k max if newer in the new year. At the moment I'm enjoying the cost of running one car. Quite like the skoda Octavia petrol or Toyota avensis petrol or a Auris Hybrid estate.

Thanks for everyone's advice over the 19 months of ownership.

James