Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Front Caliper Knock/Rattle

Hello all!

After changing all my brake pads and freeing up seized up guide pins on my calipers there is now a rattle out of my front caliper..

While removing the seized guide pins on the front, one of my longer pins was not worth saving (luckily i had a spare) so i had to do with 2 of the shorter guide pins on the one caliper.

I wonder if this is why there is now a metal knock/rattle (bumping on top of brake pads i think) because i don't have the longer pin, but what is the purpose of having them different lengths?

I don't believe its the brake pad hardware, i can grab the caliper and move it up and down slightly for it to make the noise while poking my hand through the alloy.

Also.. How on earth do you install the rubber boots for the guide pins on to the mounting bracket, every time i try it just bends them out of shape.. I've been trying to hammer them on with a 21mm spark plug socket to avoid damaging the rubber

Help appreciated! Many Thanks!

8 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

I think you have answered your own question. Always replace like for like, especially when dealing with brakes.

Just ordered a set of pins with boots to see if that cures it

No idea how to install the boots to the bracket though :/

The boots have metal collars which can be tricky to install into the caliper mounting. The only way really is to use a 21mm socket to hammer them in - you just need to be careful to guide them in to keep them straight - they distort if they go even slightly crooked.

And re the pins - I'm sure that Lexus didn't use different design slide pins just for fun - I don't know what their reason was but you can be sure it matters. As do the bushing collars on the top pins.

53 minutes ago, johnatg said:

The boots have metal collars which can be tricky to install into the caliper mounting. The only way really is to use a 21mm socket to hammer them in - you just need to be careful to guide them in to keep them straight - they distort if they go even slightly crooked.

And re the pins - I'm sure that Lexus didn't use different design slide pins just for fun - I don't know what their reason was but you can be sure it matters. As do the bushing collars on the top pins.

I've tried using a 21mm socket but with no joy, i wonder how a G-Clamp would do for the job

I have new pins ordered, am i correct in thinking that the longer pin goes to the bottom?

Thank you

You might do better with a short 21mm socket rather than a plug socket and use a light hammer. Grease the metal of the collar first. Guide the collar in with your fingers as you knock it in. Don't try and do this with the caliper mount on the car - do it on a bench. You don't need to replace the washers for the mounting bolts - at least, I never did (although the workshop manual tells you to). I had my IS250 for 7½ years and replaced the boots a couple of times like this.

The pin with the rubber bushing in the groove goes at the top. I think the other plain pin is longer and goes at the bottom

43 minutes ago, johnatg said:

You might do better with a short 21mm socket rather than a plug socket and use a light hammer. Grease the metal of the collar first. Guide the collar in with your fingers as you knock it in. Don't try and do this with the caliper mount on the car - do it on a bench. You don't need to replace the washers for the mounting bolts - at least, I never did (although the workshop manual tells you to). I had my IS250 for 7½ years and replaced the boots a couple of times like this.

The pin with the rubber bushing in the groove goes at the top. I think the other plain pin is longer and goes at the bottom

Thank you very much for your help

The top pin has a rubber bush around the end of the pin - the bottom one doesn't - i am pretty sure it was placed on the pin to stop rattling ... saying that, your caliper should not be loose if the bolts have been put back on tight?

Make sure you are using the correct grease - a lot of recommendations to be had here but i use the Toyota red rubber grease from Lexus at £8 per tube (or it was when i bought it last) and make sure to grease the pins at least once a year, again, differences of opinions, i do mine every 6 months and never had a seized caliper 

Get a cotton bud into the pin recess when changing the grease to make sure all the bad stuff is out before adding the new.

1 hour ago, is200 Newbie said:

The top pin has a rubber bush around the end of the pin - the bottom one doesn't - i am pretty sure it was placed on the pin to stop rattling ... saying that, your caliper should not be loose if the bolts have been put back on tight?

Make sure you are using the correct grease - a lot of recommendations to be had here but i use the Toyota red rubber grease from Lexus at £8 per tube (or it was when i bought it last) and make sure to grease the pins at least once a year, again, differences of opinions, i do mine every 6 months and never had a seized caliper 

Get a cotton bud into the pin recess when changing the grease to make sure all the bad stuff is out before adding the new.

I have ordered a set of pins for the rattling side, hopefully this weekend it will be sorted!

I currently have the 2 shorter pins in without the rubber bush and my caliper is just knocking about as i go over rough ground even though everything is all tight. 

My rubber boots for the guide pins that fit into the mounting bracket are not fitted properly so i would need to sort that out also

I recently serviced my front calipers and changed the pins and rubber boots with a set I bought twelve months ago from rock auto.

ive double checked I had the correct set for my year...... but still had to file the metal cuffs slightly to make them sit and seal correctly.

I tried everything before to get them in...but no way.

9 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

I recently serviced my front calipers and changed the pins and rubber boots with a set I bought twelve months ago from rock auto.

ive double checked I had the correct set for my year...... but still had to file the metal cuffs slightly to make them sit and seal correctly.

I tried everything before to get them in...but no way.

Going to attempt this in the morning, at least you are all sorted now!