Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

Yes you can. There's a button marked 'HUD' on the dash to the right of the steering wheel - press it and it cycles between on, off, mph and kph.

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

Yes you can. There's a button marked 'HUD' on the dash to the right of the steering wheel - press it and it cycles between on, off, mph and kph.

Strangely enough, I can in my 17 year old Merc, but cannot in my 9 year old Lexus GS450h !

• 2 weeks later...

Tried turning the hud off and on but it did not toggle between kpm to mph managed to find the instruction in the manual and that gave exactly the same instruction. Took it to a Lexus dealer, one guy tried exactly the same as I had and could not get it to change then another sales rep came out and went into settings then units and managed to change it from there. Interestingly enough it not only changed the heads up but converted the odometer into KLM’s!

That's interesting - and odd. My car is a 2014 GS300h and it works as described in the handbook - from (normally showing) display showing mph, press HUD - changes to kph - press HUD - off - press HUD - on showing mph etc.

Interesting, there was an update in 2016 maybe it was changed then? The fact that both the sales reps that tried to change it started with the procedure you described ( and described in my hand book) it was after that had failed they tried the other method. Does anyone have a 2016+ model out there that could verify this or have I bought a Lexus one off weirdo!!

My HUD works but  only If I go into settings and units rather than toggle the hud button, strangely enough when I asked the sales rep in Leeds,(where I bought the car from) about changing the hud he demonstrated it by going into settings rather than toggling the switch. Still would like to know if this was changed on 2016 models together with the other updates. The sales reps ( mentioned in previous post) from Lexus Twickenham did not seem to think there was anything wrong with it.

There are two types of HUD system - type A and type B. The one I've described above is type B, which I assumed is fitted to all UK and possibly US cars (ie those using mph). Type A I assumed is fitted to pretty much all others using kph and can only be set to kph or off. It may well be possible to switch Type A in settings to mph (only)

Is it possible that your car was first delivered or destined for Irish Republic or, less likely, Cyprus? Or even Japan?  Does it have a european type VIN? Is there anywhere else using kph and right hand drive? (I'm discounting Oz and NZ)

Or did they just change the system at some point? Anyone with a more recent GS here?

A quote from Lexus re the two types of HUD “ Technical advise that the type B HUD might be fitted to a vehicle for another market which does not have a multi-media screen or has a multi media screen where the units cannot be changed”. Mine must be type A where the mph/klm can only be changed through settings, seems to be a bit of a step back considering this was registered 2017!