Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

WiFi Connection/Firmware Update

7 times of of 10, my UX automatically connects to my phone's WiFi hotspot. I have to enter the password the other 3 times.... 

Any ideas why this is?

Hoping an update will sort this out but the last update is still showing as 1st April 2019. 4 months before I got the car. Do you think we'll get an update soon?

Update link

https//securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads

• 6 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I know this topic is a bit old now but heres hoping someone can help. I have the same problem with my Lexus UX250h. I connect to the hotspot on my Iphone x, it works fine, then next time i am in the car, I have to enter the password again. The network associated with my Iphone appears on the "preferred network" list and i have "remember network" switched on. lexus simply tell me it is my phone - which it clearly is not because I connect the same phone to my Volvo with no problem, any ideas??

On 8/14/2020 at 11:29 AM, RAYW said:

I know this topic is a bit old now but heres hoping someone can help. I have the same problem with my Lexus UX250h. I connect to the hotspot on my iphone x, it works fine, then next time i am in the car, I have to enter the password again. The network associated with my iphone appears on the "preferred network" list and i have "remember network" switched on. lexus simply tell me it is my phone - which it clearly is not because I connect the same phone to my Volvo with no problem, any ideas??

Mention to Lexus that it happens with all phones Android and IOS so it cant be just yours

12 hours ago, spacenase said:

I've found that using a wi-fi dongle with a SIM card provides a more reliable connection. You just need a USB socket to power it.

On my RX I use a wifi router with a SIM. To avoid keeping it always switched ON I found the solution to operate without  Battery so it goes ON only when I start car, but of course you can also keep it always on letting Battery charge/discharge.

I have had another reply from Lexus customer care, this is the relavent section:

"I appreciate the issue you are experiencing is a frustrating matter. The issue related to the personal hotspot from apple smartphones has been raised earlier this year with their iOS updates which has caused users passwords to not be captured. I understand you have tried and tested other systems/devices which work well with your smartphone, we are unable to comment on how they work in comparison.

I can reassure you Lexus are doing their utmost to improve the systems and software to ensure compatibility can met with the various smartphones that are available, in some instances there will be changes in a smartphone operating system which may alter performance and affect performances which is out of our control."

This implies the problem lies with apple, but others on here, most recently Blue-Agila, are clear that Android phones are affected too.

I appreciate the solution involving a dongle, but this requires another piece of kit, and a different sim card = more expense. The system is supposed to work with a mobile phone, it does not. is there anyone else experiencing this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have the same problem on my ES with an Iphone 10. Actually it now never connects (since the last IOS "update"), I always have to enter the password - which completely defeats the object because the practical outcome is I can't download journeys sent to the car without a complete rigmarole.

• 2 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

just to update in case anyone has found a solution, neither my Iphone X nor my parners Iphone 12, both on the latest ios 14, will stay connected. the car simply will not remember the passcode. Lexus main dealer was not able to resolve the issue. next week we are having a complimentary upgrade to apple Carplay. will let you know if that works

21 minutes ago, RAYW said:

just to update in case anyone has found a solution, neither my iphone X nor my parners iphone 12, both on the latest ios 14, will stay connected. the car simply will not remember the passcode. Lexus main dealer was not able to resolve the issue. next week we are having a complimentary upgrade to Apple Carplay. will let you know if that works

To be clear, are you trying to connect your vehicle to your iPhone's wifi hotspot, or connecting your Iphone to the vehicle's wifi hotspot?

I am trying to connect the car to my Iphone hotspot. Once connected it works fine, but will not reconnect once the car, or the phone have been turned off.

IMO wifi hotspot is a poor option as you need to explicitly enable the option every time you want to connect your vehicle on your phone, otherwise it will be trying to connect to wifi networks rather than serving out its own wifi network.

Why don't you use Bluetooth hotspot? You don't need to explicitly enable it every time, once the vehicle has been connected the first time, uses less power on your phone and I've never had an issue with my wife's UX connecting to her XS or my 12.

48 minutes ago, RAYW said:

Thanks - the phone connects by bluetooth for handsfree calls etc, but this does not enable the car to access the internet, am I missing something, is there a different bluetooth connection I need to make?

No I don't think you need to do anything else. I've wifi turned off on the UX (it may prefer that if enabled), and on the Iphone under hotspot I have 'allow others to join' enabled. The UX is set to automatically connect to Lexus.

When the vehicle is powered on, I get a hotspot symbol appear on my phone, telling me something is connected, and the vehicle can download settings, get traffic updates etc.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

No I don't think you need to do anything else. I've wifi turned off on the UX (it may prefer that if enabled), and on the iPhone under hotspot I have 'allow others to join' enabled. The UX is set to automatically connect to Lexus.

When the vehicle is powered on, I get a hotspot symbol appear on my phone, telling me something is connected, and the vehicle can download settings, get traffic updates etc.

thanks i will give that a try

No Joy.

My phone is connected by Bluetooth for phonecalls and music, but I cannot see how to connect it for comms.

using wifi i thought i had made the passcode stick, but the next day it was forgotten again.

Yo have to activate data access from your phone via Bluetooth enabling in phone settings BT tethering. 

Settings > connections > Router wifi and tethering> BT tethering.  (in android phone)

On Lexus side, enable data via BT in  menu too.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to the Dealer about the lack of automatic WiFi connectivity to my iPhone's hotspot on my UX and the mechanic tried every Lexus they had in the service bay and none would connect automatically. Apparently it is a Lexus problem and they are hoping an update will be produced soon. 

• Like 1