Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Inner tyre wear

Hi,

I'm going to look at a 2015 Rx450h FSport tomorrow. The car has done 40k miles. I have checked mot history and the most recent one had an advisory for "both rear tyres uneven wear on inner edge". 

Has anyone come across this before? Could it be wheel alignment is out or a more serious suspension issue?

Thanks

1 hour ago, scudney said:

Could be car needs tracking done,once it has new tyres fitted to prevent a reoccurance 

Definitely sounds like a tracking issue. 

My recently departed series 3 had absolutely even wear across the rears after 27000 miles. 

Any sign of accident repairs? 

An advisory on the MOT on the car I bought at circa 37K miles mentioned there was 'wedging' on the rear tyres and I noticed there were small cracks developing in the sidewalls of the Dunlops too. Somebody else also reported on the wedging but otherwise wear was quite uniform. I replaced the Dunlops with Michelin Cross Climates which have greatly improved the ride but it is too early to know how they will wear.  (My car has air suspension which could also have a bearing).  I took the opportunity of having a full alignment check anyway and would certainly recommend this if contemplating buying a car with uneven tyre wear with the understanding any remedial work required would be undertaken as a condition of purchase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

An advisory on the MOT on the car I bought at circa 37K miles mentioned there was 'wedging' on the rear tyres and I noticed there were small cracks developing in the sidewalls of the Dunlops too. Somebody else also reported on the wedging but otherwise wear was quite uniform. I replaced the Dunlops with Michelin Cross Climates which have greatly improved the ride but it is too early to know how they will wear.  (My car has air suspension which could also have a bearing).  I took the opportunity of having a full alignment check anyway and would certainly recommend this if contemplating buying a car with uneven tyre wear with the understanding any remedial work required would be undertaken as a condition of purchase.

Dunlops are renowned for the wedging, my old RX450h had the same issue. 

• Like 2

i imagine the tyres have feathered on the edge due to tracking and have been stopped to the back .if it's a dealer car ask for the tracking to be checked and ask for the print out . When you test drive make sure the car doesn't pull slightly left or right on a flat road because of roads camber to the kerb drive in the centre of the road to be sures. Good quality tracking with set you back about 100-150 pounds .dont use kwik fit it takes time to set a car up properly .

I was surprised to find that a full 4 wheel alignment check as standard on full service on my RC (it's listed on the service check sheet, any required adjustments would be additional charge), on my 2016 RC final service it was noted that the inner edges of the rear tyres were showing wear. This was normal for my model, according to the service manager.

Does the RX also benefit from a full 4 wheel alignment check at service time?

They will only ever look for abnormal wear or steering pull issue .remember these are money making group own franchised garages .and they will not move your car to another ramp to do a 4 wheel alignment unless your paying extra for it and remember the mech would have only been on a days in house training course and won't really remember how to sdjust everything properly .i would always recommend going on say piston heads forum and ask who they use and you will get a lot of good advice on who to use and who to avoid .lexus service equals only oil and filter change a look over and maybe air filter / pollen filter and brake fluid change .how many dealers have a glass viewing wall of there workshop so you can watch them ?? 

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I was surprised to find that a full 4 wheel alignment check as standard on full service on my RC (it's listed on the service check sheet, any required adjustments would be additional charge), on my 2016 RC final service it was noted that the inner edges of the rear tyres were showing wear. This was normal for my model, according to the service manager.

Does the RX also benefit from a full 4 wheel alignment check at service time?

1 hour ago, Lager shandy said:

They will only ever look for abnormal wear or steering pull issue .remember these are money making group own franchised garages .and they will not move your car to another ramp to do a 4 wheel alignment unless your paying extra for it and remember the mech would have only been on a days in house training course and won't really remember how to sdjust everything properly .i would always recommend going on say piston heads forum and ask who they use and you will get a lot of good advice on who to use and who to avoid .lexus service equals only oil and filter change a look over and maybe air filter / pollen filter and brake fluid change .how many dealers have a glass viewing wall of there workshop so you can watch them ?? 

Yes, full 4 wheel alignment check should be done at service time. 

And as with my dealer, they send  video of the vehicle and its alignment test paperwork taped to the front bumper lip whilst the car is in the air. 

Inner tyre wear isn't a known issue on the RX so most likely its an alignment issue, or a vehicle that spends a lot of time in towns going over the humps where the inner side of the tyres scrub

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lager shandy said:

Not in my experience with Lexus Swindon, who have as Rayaan has said above do the check each service. I was speaking with their geometry tech only two weeks ago. All he does is geo checks/adjustments..

I just wasn't sure if the checks were done on the RX as on my RC.

Thanks for the replies. Went to view the car to be told that when the salesman took the car for petrol it was pulling to the left. The workshop checked the alignment but think it is a sticking caliper instead. General condition of the car was not great either so a wasted journey. The search continues!

A good car is worth the wait.  This might take quite a time, particularly if you are limiting yourself by colour, trim, mileage and price etc.  Lexus being more exclusive than other marques, even premium ones, it's likely that you may have to travel further to get what you really want.  Happy hunting!

• Like 1