Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That's the trouble with being a Lexus owner.....

My 2006 RX350 went into Lexus Cambridge yesterday for its annual (essential care) service and MOT. At 13 years old and 100400 miles I suppose some problems were to be expected - and so there were:

* new rear wiper

* brake fluid topped up a tiny touch with advice to replace in next few months

* some surface rust on inside face of front discs

MOT passed with flying colours

That's the trouble with owning a Lexus; imho they are truly reliable and built like tanks. In my times of owning an SC430, a GS450H SE-L and now a RX350, the annual service and MOT has always been the main event. 

That's the trouble with owning a Lexus,  not enough time to catch up on these forums as too busy driving the Lexus not, as per BMW etc, complaining about the latest thing to go wrong!

Same time, same place next year😎 Hope all is well with everybody

Cheers all!

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

One of the reasons why I bought an RX was because Lexus has a very good reputation for reliability but things do sometimes become defective and of course things wear out just as they do on any car.  I have not yet fully established where the vulnerabilities are with the RX but it is clear that air suspension where fitted can be a problem in time and I would imagine the suspension components generally on such a heavy car could be an item requiring replacement in due course. Underside rust prevention also seems to be worth doing before it becomes a major problem.

I do have a 2001 E39 BMW 530iSE which I bought in 2006 or 2007 (from memory).  It has now some 100K miles on the clock.  As a member of a BMW forum I became aware of the short comings with the model which largely center round the cooling system.  So I proactively fitted a new water pump, thermostat, radiator and expansion tank. The auto transmission fluid was changed at about 70K miles.  I changed the "hedgehog" (Final Stage resistor, a common problem) and control arms and drop links which do suffer early wear.  The car let me down once when a convoluted rubber air pipe split and caused an engine warning light to come on. A drop of superglue and some insulating tape helped me complete a 200 mile plus journey before replacing the pipe.   Headlamp adjusters now need replacing because the Hella ones become brittle and break over time but replacement adjusters are available and will be fitted although it's an intricate job but saves buying complete new headlamps.   Other replacements have really been service items plus the need to replace some sections of slightly rusted brake pipe.  The car has all the really worthwhile features of the RX and the central display even has a TV mode  which can be upgraded to work with current transmission format if wanted.  The leather interior is very good. There are no rattles, the car handles drives and brakes very well and there is a full sized spare wheel.  If it was not for a back problem I would be more than happy to just have this car.  I am sure that even if I had had my services done by BMW these would have been less than Lexus would have charged to service an RX.  Incidentally, I am breaking another 2001 E39  for the sports parts which have largely been transferred over to my standard E39 by choice and I am very impressed by the build quality. 

It seems to me that those that knock BMW either have not owned one or don't know how to properly maintain them. 

• Like 1

Most cars are reliable and don't have any real issues most problems are caused by the driver and lack of correct maintenance .every car I bought years ago I would have gone right through it after buying and given it a full service and replaced anything that needed doing .the only reason people buy newer cars these days is because they are so electronic heavy and cost a fortune to repair .ideally you would have bought an older toyota diesel that would see you good for 200k miles with routine servicing etc .but the enviroment and technology March on .im unsure whether electric technology will be the new time bomb in the future for the planet because of disposal and the industries only motive is profit and stuff the planet .but if we really look at the real environmental issue is humans over population and the need to feed the beast us .we are the virus killing the planet but I'm sure the planet will kick back with a new deadly bacterial strain we can't cure or we will be nuked to death by idiots in power .but look on the bright side your driving a nice lexus 😘

• Like 1

Was that a major or minor essential care service? If you have a search on the Lexus UK website you will find the service schedules for both. The major essential service schedule includes a brake fluid change... Some dealers are able to produce an alternative schedule on the day which saves them this expense......

22 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

It seems to me that those that knock BMW either have not owned one or don't know how to properly maintain them. 

Not looking for an argument simply comparing and contrasting my own ownership experiences. Own now and have owned previously BMW cars, and apart from an old skool E30 325i have not bothered with servicing myself as prefer spending time driving the Lexus. If only everything on the road was as reliable as a Lexus.......🙂

5 hours ago, Passerby said:

Was that a major or minor essential care service? If you have a search on the Lexus UK website you will find the service schedules for both. The major essential service schedule includes a brake fluid change... Some dealers are able to produce an alternative schedule on the day which saves them this expense......

Was minor. They suggested I invest £100+ for a fluid change on the day but decided against as not really vfm....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links