Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Installing Bluetooth on IS250

Civicata

Hi Everyone. I’ve been for a while looking for a Bluetooth connection solution in order to make calls and listen to music from my phone more conveniently.

I tried usb transmitters but the audio quality was really bad so I’m just wondering whether the item on the below link is a recommended or has been had by anyone 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202823596960

my car is IS250 2009 

• 4 months later...

If your car doesn't have BT then have a good look at Grom Audio.

https://gromaudio.co.uk/toyota-lexus-bluetooth-integration-kit.html (guessed at your model)

I've used the AUX kit and most recently the BT kit. Doddle to fit and I don't know why I messed around with alternatives for as long as I did.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Hi Meedo. How have you got on with introducing Bluetooth to play music? 

Rich. The Grom BT3 unit. Im assuming you had to get a Y splitter cable to plug into the CD socket at the back of the radio unit?

I had a GROM unit on my MK1 IS and now on my MK2 GS. Input your model details and they supply the correct cables with the unit. On my GS you access BT audio with another press of the CD button.

• Like 1

Yes the BT3 is very similar to the GTA car kit thats seen on YouTube videos. I bought the Yatour system and will be trying it out soon one free Saturday. Removal of the radio/nav unit on the 2nd gen IS required patience because the trim around the radio unit is so easily damaged. 

• 2 weeks later...

How are you finding the Grom Vline Billnick? Did you self install? Where did you place the box of tricks? I'm contemplating getting either that or the Vaistech. I tried the yatour but it must have been a faulty unit. What I did notice was that in the back of my headunit the socket where the plug goes into is vacant. I have nav and ML and was surprised to find that. Bugger of a headunit to remove, too many block connections on the back.

When it works....it's brilliant and really brings the car into the modern day.

Unfortunately I have personally had some issues with reliability and ended up with a brand new replacement unit issued by GROM.

I did self install yes, was very easy if you take your time. Always best to remove something completely than try and squeeze behind it and all that. Mine is located in the glovebox secured on top of the plastic shelf they put in there with some velcro. I would advise against hiding it away as you will no doubt need access to reset it.

I mainly use it for apple CarPlay which is excellent and really glad I have it working in my 2008 car. Else I think I would be forced to spend money on a newer car 😉

• Thanks 1

Which sockets did you use in the back of the headunit? Does your car have nav and ML? I ask because as I stated I have an unused socket in the back of mine which is the middle one of the bottom row of plugs. That's where I've seen on utube one of the plugs go aswell as a blue one.

Ill have to be honest with you, I can't remember for sure.......I have Nav and ML yes.

It would make sense for one port to be empty as that is where an optional CD changer would go, which is what my car recognizes the VLINE to be....

I followed the GROM instructions to a T, and it worked first time.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've installed an universal Bluetooth adaptor  in my armrest to play music from ( don't think it works for calls though) 

Here is the adaptor 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223550132778

( Was also considering this, but haven't found a good location for it to be out of sight yet accessible to pick up calls. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSUWCZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JwRkFbM5Z09SN )

Also got a ground isolator 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333306908036

And an L shape usb to protect the usb wire from the adaptor from breaking 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292074804774

I've also got an app for android (MacroDroid) on which I've set up a trigger for when my phone connects to the Bluetooth adapter my data connection comes on and Spotify launches.

Worked well so far, the sound is clear and it connects quick, but found that the bass doesn't really come through. 

All this cost me just over £13 btw, so it's cheap and cheerful. 

• Like 1

Hi Zoricib. Good of you to post what you've done to play music via Bluetooth. I didn't think of using such adapters basically coz I didn't know they existed lol. So I ask when you get into your car which button on your headunit do you press to play the music via Bluetooth and how do you know the Bluetooth connection is made? 

Hey Vlad, I just keep it on aux (I have the ML sat nav for reference). Once connected it just plays a sound through the speakers of the car which just says "connected" and "disconnected" once you disconnect it if the stereo is still on. If you just shut the engine off it just disconnects as it has no power. By the way you won't be able to change tracks via the steering/radio controls, just adjust the volume. It works just an aux connection would in terms of what you can do via the car's controls. I use google assistant once in the car to change tracks on spotify. Not ideal, but compared with the price of the grom I'd say it's worth it. 

Thanks m8. At the mo I'm using the aux input to my Samsung s10 lite. Had to buy a Samsung lead to adapt to 3.5mm socket. I'll get the gizmo you've got but I plan to get the Vaistech next year because the default screen on the car is the nav screen. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Thanks m8. At the mo I'm using the aux input to my Samsung s10 lite. Had to buy a Samsung lead to adapt to 3.5mm socket. I'll get the gizmo you've got but I plan to get the Vaistech next year because the default screen on the car is the nav screen. 

what does the Vaistech do? is it just Bluetooth or does it do carplay?

I think it does car play but its a version of the Grom vline but better and more reliable and not at a rip off price of the grom. Over £100 cheaper. Look them up.