Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse Polarity 2012 Lexus IS 250

Iven09

So my factory Battery was going bad and went to Advanced Auto to get a new Battery and like an idiot I put the Battery in just as the factory Battery was in without checking the post.  When I went to hook the cables back up there was a high pitched electric motor sound that definitely did not sound normal.  I removed the cables and that’s when I realized the post on the new Battery were not the same and need to be in front instead of the back.  Now the problem....  I’ve went through all 3 fuse boxes and taken care of all blown fuses and got the car to start again, but now it seems to be in “limp” mode with the check engine light on and “Trac Off” coming on in the instrument panel screen with no throttle response at all on the gas pedal.  Any suggestions on what could be causing this along with a fix?

Thanks in Advance!

There are lots of posts ( for some reason!!!) on the US owners site ClubLexus where owners have lets say 'inadvertently' connected up the Battery the wrong way round! The reason I think you have done this is because you have the wrong Battery for a start! The terminals should be at the back of the engine bay with the + positive on the Left side. If you have the +positive at the front left of the Battery then it's not the correct one!

As for the damage caused by the reverse connection event then you are not the first and it has happen to someone on this forum with an ISF ( technically almost the same electrical configuration regarding the fix) just trying to find it now.......

There are lots of posts ( for some reason!!!) on the US owners site ClubLexus where owners have lets say 'inadvertently' connected up the Battery the wrong way round! The reason I think you have done this is because you have the wrong Battery for a start! The terminals should be at the back of the engine bay with the + positive on the Left side. If you have the +positive at the front left of the Battery then it's not the correct one!

As for the damage caused by the reverse connection event then you are not the first and it has happen to someone on this forum with an ISF ( technically almost the same electrical configuration regarding the fix) just trying to find it now.......

very informative thread on which Battery you perhaps should have got, as it seems 'Advanced Auto' have given you the wrong one!

Just found the thread (ISF) that had reverse polarity problem and a fusible link part No is quoted but not sure if it is actually same part for the IS.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned the fusible link is extremely susceptible to damage when the Battery terminals have been reversed.

If you would like a brand new genuine Lexus replacement they are £109.03 on our website here. Postage is £5.99 to UK Mainland and it could be with you in two working days if ordered before 4pm Monday - Friday.

It comes as an assembly incorporated into the fuse block so it's a fairly simple process to replace it.