Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone replaced steering rack bushes?

I get just a little bit of a rattle through the steering wheel over small bumps and I'm wondering whether it could be the rack bushes.  I don't ever remember reading anything about this so has anyone had experience of it?  The bushes are available, although not cheap, and they look easy enough.  Unless there are any other theory's out there.

I replaced mine - bought them from paul frost complete with carriers - easy min job to replace by garage

My front end became very crashy over bumps and the movement could be felt through the steering.

All was good after the change. I was told one way to check them is put car on full lock and press the rubber bush with your finger - if it feels soft then replace.

I have another vibration now which is felt through the steering when in drive (goes away in N and P) I'm replacing my transmission mount next week.

My car has done 145k

25 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I think I saw a u- tube video about this issue on a US car guy blog it might be written up on the owners club in the US as they tend to do big mileage.

I did watch that and it does look easy.

18 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I replaced mine - bought them from paul frost complete with carriers - easy min job to replace by garage

My front end became very crashy over bumps and the movement could be felt through the steering.

All was good after the change. I was told one way to check them is put car on full lock and press the rubber bush with your finger - if it feels soft then replace.

I have another vibration now which is felt through the steering when in drive (goes away in N and P) I'm replacing my transmission mount next week.

My car has done 145k

Thanks Mark.  As I've done the suspension, links and d bushes I think I'll order these as well.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I get just a little bit of a rattle through the steering wheel over small bumps and I'm wondering whether it could be the rack bushes.  I don't ever remember reading anything about this so has anyone had experience of it?  The bushes are available, although not cheap, and they look easy enough.  Unless there are any other theory's out there.

Hi Phil, mine got picked up on my last mot. They were not a failure, or even an advisory, but the tester commented to me that in the future they will require replacing. The car was also being serviced at Paul Frost’s and he supplies refurbed bushes so I had the done straight away. I had not even noticed any problem, but afterwards it did make a noticeable difference and I was pleased I had changed them. Can’t remember how much I paid because I had other work done but they were reasonable , Paul buys them in bulk.

cheers, Roger

12 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Phil, mine got picked up on my last mot. They were not a failure, or even an advisory, but the tester commented to me that in the future they will require replacing. The car was also being serviced at Paul Frost’s and he supplies refurbed bushes so I had the done straight away. I had not even noticed any problem, but afterwards it did make a noticeable difference and I was pleased I had changed them. Can’t remember how much I paid because I had other work done but they were reasonable , Paul buys them in bulk.

cheers, Roger

The odd thing is that I emailed Paul Frost at lexussparesdirect and he replied to say he doesn't have any and has never been asked for them!  There are just a couple of sellers on eBay at about £70 for new ones so I may order them if I can't source them elsewhere.