Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Summer v Winter Tyre

Have always enjoyed this (in my opinion) underrated channel, quite an informative video. Been in the winter/ all season tyre fan group for sometime since doing a driving course many years ago, but I like the controlled environment utilised in this video for a more valid test and a bit of an eye opener. Enjoy 🙂

• Like 1

Ran Bridgestone blizzaks on my ISF for the 3 winters I had the car. 
For the past 15 yrs or so have always changed to winters on my car. The ability to stop better in the bad weather is worth the cost alone.

Still have the wheels and tyres and am undecided whether to change on the GSF, As I have a defender and the kids cars and my wife’s car all have their winter boots on. So if the weather takes a turn for the worst i have other options.

• Like 1

It's depends where one lives. I'm in the south so summer tyres for now is ok as there isn't much snow in the winter. If I were to move to the Midlands or Derbyshire in a years time then I would be looking to get all season. 

If in Scotland for sure I would probably run winter all year around unless I have another set of wheels for summer. 

Very good info video. 

• Like 1

Very interesting video.

Not an F I know but we ran our IS300h on Conti Winter Contact tyres last year and, on the one or two days it snowed, they worked a treat. We could drive up steep slip roads to get off snow clogged main routes and drive out of iced up car parks quite easily. One of my colleagues got stuck in his Merc and had to trudge in deep snow to a hotel overnight.

We also live in the South and I still feel that dedicated winter tyres are a good precaution. We have got a set of Michelin Alpin tyres for our new NX this year which should stand us in good stead.  

As for the LC, well, I could spin the wheels on the salt/grit on the roads last week on the summer Turanzas so I will just leave it in the garage if it snows. ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 007M said:

It's depends where one lives.

I agree, I'm down south too. I ran the GSF with summer tyres over last Xmas period, whilst the road wasn't too problematic other than a few untouched back roads, my main issue was getting out of my damn road! I'm potentially getting a run around hatchback and will stick all weathers on it for the few days us southeners get of 'winter' weather 😛

I agree it's very much down to where you live, I'm not far from the South Coast and despite having a set of winter wheels and tyres for my daily I haven't put them on for the last three winters. 

I avoid taking my 'best' car out if it gets really bad.

I have goodyear ultragrip 9's on my 1996 Volvo 940 automatic for the last 3 winters and they are worth every penny of the £49 each.

Fantastic being able to move like a 4x4 up hills and even stop and pull away. The Michelin energy summer tyres were useless on even the slightest incline on my rear wheel drive 940 auto.

I had them fitted this week! I have them mounted to a set of 940 alloys that I bought for £40. Still loads of tread. Not great on pure ice on a hill as need studded for that. for everyday driving superb.

James.

Confirms my own findings really. I've been running Michelin Cross Climates so the last few years and they make a huge difference on greasy wet winter mornings, not just in the very occasional snow we get in these parts.

Luckily I can walk to work so our F will be staying at home if the weather gets bad.
I do agree with Winters though and have been thinking of getting some  for the RX. I just need to work out the logistics of it, a second set of alloys would be ideal  🤔

I did on my XC90. Fair enough they wear a bit quicker but the grip was always there and as I've never felt the urge to do a lap of the Nurburgring they suited just fine. Nokian WR3 SUV if I recall.

33 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

No J turns in the snowy car parks? 🤣🤣

😂 it would have to be on the drive. There is no way I would make it out of our road in the snow! 

38 minutes ago, Twellsie said:

my Pirelli SottoZero 3's will be going on this weekend

Swapping onto the same rims? Where you going to get that done, and will they store your summers?

1 hour ago, Toothy said:

Swapping onto the same rims? Where you going to get that done, and will they store your summers?

no, I have PS4S's on my BBS wheels, SottoZeros on my standard wheels

• Like 1

I've been researching tyres as mine are about done. The tyres on my RX400h when I bought it are cheap Chinese budget tyres (Routeway Eco Blue RY22). I was surprised that the previous owner had put those on when, in the car's service history, it seemed that no expense was spared in servicing and repairs.

I'm considering the Michelin Cross Climates. My local independent tyre centre fits them for £136.74 x 4 = £546.96, but, I have found that KwikFit will fit them for £138.00 x 4 = £552 less 10% = 496.80. Plus a FREE Winter Safety Kit.

Seems a no-brainer to me. 

My wife merc estate has cross climates on.  We fitted this time last year, and have done around 15k miles on them. 
she works towards consett in Co. Durham, and it can get a bit hairy up there in the snow and she managed to get there no problems in the snow we had last year. during the monsoon like weather we had earlier in the month were confidence inspiring at motorway speeds on soaking wet surfaces.
the merc is a petrol hybrid with around 300hp, and clips along quite nicely. But doesn’t get driven hard, so can’t really comment on dry warm weather handling, but they handle the power and torque well in the wet.

Would I put them on again - definitely on the merc or her next car. Not sure on a higher performance car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links