Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lifting rear end on ramps

I've got the following pictured metal ramps that you drive on to. I've used it for oil changes in the past where i've driven the car on to the ramp. But now I need to change my exhaust mufflers and I'm wondering if it's safe to reverse the car onto these ramps. I get a bit paranoid about lift the car and put on axle stands to be honest. I can lift it on the pinch spot but just can't find suitable area for the axle stands flat surface to sit. And if I lift on side up and put and axle stand, then when it comes to lifting the other side, i feel like it wobbles so much that it might fall off the other side. Any tips?

spacer.png

I'll admit I'm happier under ramps than axle stands. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to reverse on so long as you've got the clearance and someone watching. Driving the car onto ramps is always the most nerve wracking bit though! With my 9-5 Aero I had to use extenders because the car was low and that wasn't fun.

I have what appear to be identical ramps, and I used them without problems to make, and fit a stainless rear exhaust system to my GS450H. That would be far heavier at the rear due to the hybrid Battery than your IS250. I did have to use some lengths of timber at the bottom of the ramps to give clearance for the rear of the car as it was driven back onto, and off the ramps.
The important thing is to make sure the area you are working on is both flat, and will support the ramps without them sinking.

John.

• Thanks 1

I have very similar ramps. My drive has a rather slippery surface (printed concrete) and ramps tended to slip, so I got a couple of lengths of military webbing. These go from the bottom rung of the ramps and extend back to the wheels which are on the deck (when the wheels at the end you are raising are more or less in contact with the ramps) hence the deck wheels hold the ramps in position as the raised end rides on to the ramps. I use these ramps for several cars and with most of them I have to put short planks of wood in front of the actual ramp. The wood goes under the webbing and serves as a pre-ramp to make sure the bits of the car in front of the wheels clear the first part of the ramp.

You do need a drive at least twice as long as the car to use this technique!

Use the ramps - safer than the stands. I changed my exhaust from the middle to the back (including the boxes) when i made it for my last IS with no issue. Obviously would be better on garage ramps but who has these in their drive.

Make sure for added safety to chock the front wheels. 

Thank you all. I did end up using the ramp. Had just above enough clearance to reverse on to the ramps. It is a bit strange driving up the ramp. But much better than axle stand as I felt much more at ease working under the car and got plenty of clearance for removing exhaust rear section easily 

17 minutes ago, james250 said:

Thank you all. I did end up using the ramp. Had just above enough clearance to reverse on to the ramps. It is a bit strange driving up the ramp. But much better than axle stand as I felt much more at ease working under the car and got plenty of clearance for removing exhaust rear section easily 

I had a bad experience many years ago with similar ramps made by Halfords. Basically one collapsed and that was with the weight of a Morris 1300.

I would always use axle stans as well after that experience. 

• Like 1

due to the tyre width, I invested in some new ramps... like these below .... really light, but really solid and plenty of width for the modern tyres.  Very reassuring when working underneath either our Rx450h or ID200d.

I figured the cost was justified for the reassurance it gives me ... especially working on the IS rear diff and that awful fuel filter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZAGI9E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_3yuhxbZD5SGCQ

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

I had a bad experience many years ago with similar ramps made by Halfords. Basically one collapsed and that was with the weight of a Morris 1300.

I would always use axle stans as well after that experience. 

I guess that could happen. I was thinking as it ages and little bits of rust here and there can weaken it. I guess once the car is on the ramp it would give more piece of mind if something else was added. Not sure if a axle stand will slot in somewhere with that height. Worth checking I guess