Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Beam Headlight Bulbs. HELP!

I need to replace a Low Beam Headlight Bulb. I think it might be best to buy two so that they both match? Never had to do this before as never had a car this old. 12 years old and 74K miles, wonderful car! I'm a bit green (a lot green actually) about the techs so could someone please help me to choose the right bulbs? The handbook states D4S Discharge Bulb 35W Headlight (Low Beam). I've found some on amazon but the prices vary a lot and there are choices of e.g 4300K and 6000K etc. Prices for the following are £20 ish for a pack of 2 and £37 for pack of 1. Eurocarparts don't appear to have stock in local branch (Stockport) and Halfords don't appear to have what I need. What would you replace with and where from? Car is GS300 year 2007. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TVKHF35/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AZH2GF8Z5J95G&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016DDZDSG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3S1O3V0Q4FDD0&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0068M10PI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Also found some on eBay example below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-Xenon-Headlight-Bulb-4300k-White-D4S-Fits-Lexus-GS-IS-LS-RX-RTD4SDB43x1US/162856881425?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus|Model%3AGS|Cars+Year%3A2007&hash=item25eb06cd11:g:UagAAOSwDkpaX3Y6

I'm sure someone on here recommended these so I've gone with these on my GS:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-D4S-Genuine-LUNEX-XENON-BULB-6000K-compatible-with-XenEco-42402-Xenarc-66440/291780531328

I've found the light output does deteriorate after about 12months so I've replaced them a few times now. Still WAY cheaper than what the main dealer wanted.

Next time around may try a different brand though.

• Thanks 1

This morning I went to the car to check if the bulb was still not working and low and behold it WAS working. I drove the car for about 5 minutes with the low beam on, got out of the car to check, still working. Drove home, another 5 minutes, got out of the car, STOPPED working. Switched on/off a few times and the faulty one was lit but dim but within say 1 minute it was bright again. Any ideas what the problem might be, i.e. bulb, earth connection, fuse faulty/loose, switch?

27 minutes ago, JeffL said:

This morning I went to the car to check if the bulb was still not working and low and behold it WAS working. I drove the car for about 5 minutes with the low beam on, got out of the car to check, still working. Drove home, another 5 minutes, got out of the car, STOPPED working. Switched on/off a few times and the faulty one was lit but dim but within say 1 minute it was bright again. Any ideas what the problem might be, i.e. bulb, earth connection, fuse faulty/loose, switch?

Jeff this is typical HID bulb failure. Swapping bulbs from side to side would confirm this. 
As far as replacements are concerned I use the cheap bulbs for sale on eBay as do a number of other LOC members. I have found no difference in light output or longevity to the Osram bulbs priced at up to £87 each. Beware there are many fake Osram labled bulbs on the market.
The color choice is given in degrees Kelvin the OEM color being 4300K. Many prefer the whiter light with a blue tint given off by 5000K or 6000K bulbs going any higher than this produces a very blue light.

John.

• Thanks 1

John thanks for your reply. I will go and swap the bulbs over after lunch. But in the meantime, I've just remembered that when I had the bonnet and the front wings resprayed in mid September they said they would have to remove the indicator lights on the wings and also loosen (I think they said?) the headlights so as to get a better paint finish. I'm just wondering if there might be a connection fault due to the lights being disturbed in September as I've no idea how long the headlight has not been working. OR with the symptoms I described do you still think it more likely to be a faulty bulb? Thanks.

3 hours ago, JeffL said:

John thanks for your reply. I will go and swap the bulbs over after lunch. But in the meantime, I've just remembered that when I had the bonnet and the front wings resprayed in mid September they said they would have to remove the indicator lights on the wings and also loosen (I think they said?) the headlights so as to get a better paint finish. I'm just wondering if there might be a connection fault due to the lights being disturbed in September as I've no idea how long the headlight has not been working. OR with the symptoms I described do you still think it more likely to be a faulty bulb? Thanks.

Sorry I have not been back sooner. I still think it is the bulb. The time that the headlamp uses the most current is the moment it is turned on. This is the time a fault is likely to show up for bad connections. The fact that the bulb goes out after it has warmed up then relights after it has cooled is indicative of a failed bulb.

John.

• Thanks 1