Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can I fit 215/55/17's ?

Brendan3006

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the CT200h and to this Forum.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with a query about tyre size on my 2015 CT, please.  It currently has 215/45/17 Yokohamas, which are quite harsh and noisy on rough surfaces.

I have considered changing to 16" wheels to help resolve the issue but my local tyre shop say I could fit 215/55/17's to try and address the problem.  Does anyone know if this can be done without the tyres catching the arches etc?

Your advice will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Might have insurance issues too, could be classed as a modification as it isn’t an oem wheel/tyre size combination.
The Yokohama tyres are indeed noisy! Other tyres are a bit quieter but the ride won’t change much unless you go with a bigger sidewall. 

If you go to the size suggested your speedo will under read massively, you would be doing nearly 77mph at an indicated 70mph. The difference in rolling circumference is 6.9%. The recommended max is 2.5%

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies.

The link to the tyre size calculator is very useful. A differential of 7 at 70MPH is too much alright and taken with the possible insurance issues it rules out this option.

If I were to fit 215/50/17's the differential is a more acceptable 3.4 MPH and this might be more or less offset by the manufacturer setting the speedo to under read a little anyway. It's either this or change the rims to 16" altogether.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Having considered all the options I have eventually changed my tyres from the original 225/45/17 to 225/50/17's (Good Year Efficient Grip). My local tyre shop were very helpful and fitted these to try out while giving me the option of changing them back again within a day or two if they was any problem or if I wasn't happy.

The new sized tyres transformed the car completely and now it feels and drives more quietly. It is vastly more comfortable on the road, and feels like a luxury vehicle should. The tyres also look much better while filling the wheel arch more and the car sits slightly higher. I can't understand why Lexus persist with fitting the lower profile tyres.

I checked with my Insurers and they have no problem with the change. Also, I checked the speedo against my Sat Nav and an independent App on my Phone and both confirm the car's speedo is now accurate i.e. I have lost the manufactures built in leeway but I can live with that.

Thanks for the previous advice.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Brendan,

did you notice any drop in performance or reduction in fuel consumption?

As you have increased the tyres circumference I wondered if you noticed any difference. This is something I would like to do once my tyres require changing.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg,

I haven't noticed any change in performance at all. It may be a coincidence but the long-term average fuel consumption improved slightly from 5.4 to 5.3 since I

changed to the 225/50/17's. The main change has been the vast improvement in the comfort and road noise levels.

I'm only sorry I didn't change them sooner.

Regards

Brendan

• 11 months later...
On 9/20/2020 at 11:20 AM, Brendan3006 said:

Hi Guys,

Having considered all the options I have eventually changed my tyres from the original 225/45/17 to 225/50/17's (Good Year Efficient Grip). My local tyre shop were very helpful and fitted these to try out while giving me the option of changing them back again within a day or two if they was any problem or if I wasn't happy.

The new sized tyres transformed the car completely and now it feels and drives more quietly. It is vastly more comfortable on the road, and feels like a luxury vehicle should. The tyres also look much better while filling the wheel arch more and the car sits slightly higher. I can't understand why Lexus persist with fitting the lower profile tyres.

I checked with my Insurers and they have no problem with the change. Also, I checked the speedo against my Sat Nav and an independent App on my Phone and both confirm the car's speedo is now accurate i.e. I have lost the manufactures built in leeway but I can live with that.

Hi Brendan, really useful. You say you changed your original tyres which were 225/45/17, did you mean 215/45/17 as that is what is on my car. Please clarify 

• Like 2

Lexus tell us that
215/45-17
205/55-16
195/65-15
is correct for 2016 models.
If the 17" are found too harsh 16" will be softer and 15" will be "granny" soft.
All come with the price you have to buy new wheels.
For us 17" are the right thing, but in the forum here many have told that Michelin CC+ give a more comfortable ride.
On smooth pavement most tyres are OK and the CT is relatively quiet.

We are happy.

• 3 months later...
On 9/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, Brendan3006 said:

Hi Guys,

Hi Brendan, fresh Lexus CT owner here from Finland. I just got a '16 model which only came with winter tires (one of the reasons I got a pretty good deal on it!), which means I should be looking for summer tires before the snow is gone. Luckily, I stumbled upon 17"x7" rims and used 225/50/17 tires which I could get for basically free.

My question is are you running the stock(?) 7" wide rims with your 225/50/17 tires? I'm a little concerned about the bulge of 225 wide tires on a 7" rim. Could you maybe share a picture? Thanks!