Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This LS430 took a big hit . . . . . .

Just saw this on eBay - never seen such a badly damaged LS430

Looks like it was looked after pre-accident

Even has a full tank of fuel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Lexus-LS430-UL-LPG-Damaged-Salvage-Spares-Repairs/283708386976?hash=item420e566ea0:g:CFAAAOSwW2hd8pLh

• Like 1

Blimey, looks like it’s been banger racing!

I would imagine a rear end shunt that then pushed the car forward into one or more in front, unfortunately the insurance company won’t take into account all the money spent on it and will pay the book price.

Certainly not a viable repair but good for parts especially if the LPG was stripped of it and sold separately.

The car interior will not be the same as the pics on the ad as they were taken before  the damage was done and the airbags will have gone off everywhere with the impact damage,

There may be damage to the transmission and braking abs and vsc as the wheels are badly gouged and obviously been impacted during rotation.

26 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

The car interior will not be the same as the pics on the ad as they were taken before  the damage was done and the airbags will have gone off everywhere with the impact damage,

There may be damage to the transmission and braking abs and vsc as the wheels are badly gouged and obviously been impacted during rotation.

Phil, this is a members car, he posted a few days ago about his mishap and no airbags were deployed.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thiniking that I should have bought this just for the exhaust and then sold the rest.

Interestingly, it sold on eBay for almost the same amount £787 that Seat offered me as a trade in on my 2001 LS430 which has 2 months still left on MOT and no damage!

I couldn;t find Andy's original post but do remember reading it at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread. And it’s true the interior pics were taken after the accident. The airbags didn’t deploy, it wasn’t a hard smash - just lots of them. 

EDIT: Sorry the interior pics were taken before the accident! But only because I couldn’t be arsed cleaning a smashed car. There was no damage to the interior at all. 

Other then the tracking being off the car drove just fine afterwards. ABS was fine. No CEL, trans shifted just fine. Only light on was the flashing AFS Off light. It flashes if you disconnect your headlights (or violently remove them as in this case). 

The guy who bought it is putting the engine into his off road buggy. I’m actually heading back soon to collect the exhaust, LPG kit and a few other little things. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, steve2006 said:

especially if the LPG was stripped of it and sold separately.

Would you really take used aftermarket LPG system out of the damaged car?! I mean I know that people running cars on LPG are frugal and sometimes borderline suicidal (not pointing at anyone in particular here), but salvaging used LPG system from crashed car seems like step too far...🤕 

45 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Would you really take used aftermarket LPG system out of the damaged car?! I mean I know that people running cars on LPG are frugal and sometimes borderline suicidal (not pointing at anyone in particular here), but salvaging used LPG system from crashed car seems like step too far...🤕 

Come on Linas, where's your sense of adventure?

Well... I guess if you put it that way... still I think few cans of stove gas on fire and duck tape will be more cost efficient way to burn yourself 😂

I am not saying LPG cannot be done right, but this really sounds like asking for trouble. Not that I care... just saying.

Seriously though, at no point will I put anything in this car that is going to make it unsafe. All the main bits of the LPG system, the tank, the injectors, ECU, the reducer were not impacted by the crash (and again, the crash looks a lot worse than it was). All these components are going to be inspected by a professional and if there's any sign of damage, it's going in the bin. I should add that LPG tanks (although mine didn't even get hit) are incredibly strong and can take ridiculous punishment before one fails (not that I'd use one if it had damage). 

Only if these components are in perfect working order will they be re-used. All the wiring, plumbing and other consumables will be replaced with new kit. 

This is a high-quality system that cost 2k and is only a few months old so yes I don't exactly want to fork out that much money again if I don't have to. But again, I'm only going to be re-using this system if it is certified as safe (which I'm sure it will be). If anything is a miss, it's getting replaced. I'm not that stupid that I'd put the lives of myself and passengers in danger just to save a bit at the pumps. 

• Like 1

That is right attitude... I hope you understand that I am trolling a little bit, but at the same time not all people going to be as careful and systematically checking components as you described.

further, you have indicated that most of the fitments would get thrown away - which then makes more sense. And I do agree that if there is ever risk with LPG, it is almost never to do with the tank, more likely some leaking hose. 

my comment as well was limited to specifically what I have quoted i.e. "it would be good to buy it and strip out LPG"... certainly that sounds like last idea I would ever have i.e. buying unknown crashed car with LPG and stripping presumably everything.... or worse buying used LPG system stripped from the car which was crashed.

In your case that does not apply, because you know the car and you know what is fitted, when it was fitted and how the car was crashed.

• Like 1