Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yesterday the central locking, the moving steering column, the door locks switch in the armrest and alarm system all u/s 

However despite the above she started OK and went on a 25 mile drive with 3 stops which meant parking the car and manually locking the doors which included going to each door to switch the door lock button.

Went to go out with her today inserted ignition key and it was as though the Battery wasn't connected at all, not even a flicker of life anywhere  on the car.

Got the jump leads out and at first nothing then I saw a small spark on the negative terminal as we made sure there was contact and everything came back to normal, everything was working, I had checked all the terminals to make sure there was a decent contact for them on the Battery so its a mystery. Any ideas??

Even a solid connection can fail to pass current if there's dirt on the contact surfaces, so take off the Battery clamps and clean the inside with a metal scouring pad (not Brillo) or some steel wool, and also the Battery posts too, so that the mating surfaces are bright.

17 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Even a solid connection can fail to pass current if there's dirt on the contact surfaces, so take off the battery clamps and clean the inside with a metal scouring pad (not Brillo) or some steel wool, and also the battery posts too, so that the mating surfaces are bright.

Cheers has been done now. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

My 98 has just done exactly the same thing.

used it Monday and all fine.

turned it off and steering wheel didn’t retract and central locking wouldn’t work.

used it couple of hours later and it started and drove as normal.

now totally dead nothing except red security light flashing on dash.

waiting for a new Battery to be delivered and keeping fingers crossed.

• Sad 1