Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 Cracked Dash

My Dad has a 2004 RX300 - the dash has developed a crack in the passenger side. I seem to recall that in the US, Lexus replaced the dashes in older cars relatively recently as this was considered a quality defect.

Does anyone know if this is the case in the UK or if there are any methods of repairing the crack?

Always worth seeking replacement from Lexus or some goodwill towards replacement.                                                                                                                      The crack is likely to be due to shrinkage of the material under the external covering.  Once exposed to sunlight the process increases.  I know there was a firm who filled and made good or alternatively you could buy the materials an do the job yourself.  (It could have been in a Magazine such as Practical Motorist.)  You might be able to research this but it would only be worth doing if the rest of the dash shows no signs of cracking.  Another option would be a second hand dash bought after careful examination.

15 hours ago, jevestobs said:

My Dad has a 2004 RX300 - the dash has developed a crack in the passenger side. I seem to recall that in the US, Lexus replaced the dashes in older cars relatively recently as this was considered a quality defect.

Does anyone know if this is the case in the UK or if there are any methods of repairing the crack?

A 16 year old car with a full Lexus Service History might stand a good chance!

Mine has done the same. I would be interested to find out if anyone gets a successful warranty claim so I can try with my local dealer! My local dealer consists of a bunch of a$$ hats with multiple brands so don't want to try without someone having some level of success so I have something to throw at them!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Good morning, there are many cases of cracking dashboards relating to the RX range, my 400h has a horrible crack just below the passenger air bag. I've given up trying to find a good one from a vehicle being broken, as they all seem to be cracked. Did you make any headway pursuing Lexus for some sort of concession? Colin

• Like 1

I'm considering filling and spraying my dash as I want to change the horrible grey to black anyway, spray the wood effect silver to match the dash then replace the steering wheel and gear knob and completely lift the interior!

Welcome Ian.
Did you buy privately or from a Dealer? If the latter what Warranty came with the RX ?
Private sale! I bought it for £1k 3 years ago!! Low miles and ridiculously clean!! Right place, right time!!ffe8eddf0af1025a229c4394b801af7c.jpg

11 minutes ago, inchley313 said:

Private sale! I bought it for £1k 3 years ago!! Low miles and ridiculously clean!! Right place, right time!!ffe8eddf0af1025a229c4394b801af7c.jpg

Thanks Ian. I was hoping that we could ask a Dealer to pay, but no suck luck.

Glad you picked up a bargain though.

• Like 1