Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

lotions and potions

Zuke

Hi Chaps ,

Sooooooo many products out there to choose from for leather cleaning an treatments, vinyl and plastics , dash cleaners and such like.

One guy on youtube recommends cleaning with a magic eraser , another says don't !! 

One demonstration, again on youtube recommends WOOLITE to clean leather.

Having said all that , I believe modern leather has a coating that is almost a vinyl , so making it a waste of time and money actually treating leather with such as Autoglym Leather Balm etc ....

So, what do you chaps reckon ?? 

Cheers in Advance !! 

PS. got the wheels powder coated the other day ...looks great !! 

Edited by Zuke
spelling
  • Like 1

Yep all modern leather is PU coated (except very high end specials) and doesn't benefit from the use of conditioners. In fact conditioners can create the very problem they are supposed to prevent. The conditioner just sits on the surface of the (coating) leather and attracts grit and grime. This then get 'massaged' into the folds and creases of the leather, wearing away the coating and causing cracks. These then attract more dirt and turn dark/black.

I had my Merc retrimmed with a naked nappa leather. The seats felt wonderfully soft and smelt great but they were horrendously difficult to keep clean. Never again.. 

Proprietary cleaners are generally ok but simple luke-warm water with a little wool detergent works equally well.

That all said I use the Lexus executive leather cleaning kit on my RC. 

Just looked on eBay for DODO JUICE ,
£21 for 500ml cleaner and 250ml sealant ....... but in on of the otherwise glowing reviews there was this
  • Having successfully used Autoglyn leather cleaner and leather balm for over 10 years I thought I'd give this product a try. After testing on an inconspicuous area on my 5 years old Lexus RX450 I gave the drivers seat, which was not particularly dirty, a clean according to instructions. You can imagine my horror when it removed a lot of the the dye from the cream leather. The seat now looks patchy losing the car considerable value. Be wary!

Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New

58 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Yep all modern leather is PU coated (except very high end specials) and doesn't benefit from the use of conditioners. In fact conditioners can create the very problem they are supposed to prevent. The conditioner just sits on the surface of the (coating) leather and attracts grit and grime. This then get 'massaged' into the folds and creases of the leather, wearing away the coating and causing cracks. These then attract more dirt and turn dark/black.

I had my Merc retrimmed with a naked nappa leather. The seats felt wonderfully soft and smelt great but they were horrendously difficult to keep clean. Never again.. 

Proprietary cleaners are generally ok but simple luke-warm water with a little wool detergent works equally well.

That all said I use the Lexus executive leather cleaning kit on my RC. 

Thanks for the reply !!

Could you, or would you, recommend a good protector ?? 

Just now, Zuke said:

Thanks for the reply !!

Could you, or would you, recommend a good protector ?? 

The best protector is, IMHO, prevention... 

To clarify, regular gentle cleaning will prevent deterioration and accelerated wear.

• Like 1

Heard dr leather wipes are also v good for Lexus leather seats, doesn’t leave the slippery feel after use that other cleaners can leave. Just a one step cleaning wipe. Google for more info. Plenty of info online.

• Like 1