Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam for IS300h

HMS

Hi folks,

I bought a new IS300h couple of months ago and at the time of purchase declined to buy either a dash cam and GAP insurance; I thought these things will cost a fortune if taken from the dealership.

Any recommendation for what is the best (and possibly of a reasonable price) dash cam that I can buy and fit in myself? Any idea of GAP provider will be a bonus!:)

Look forward to some suggestions in the forum.

Thanks!

This guy has reviewed about 50 or 60 dash cams (as well as lots of other tech stuff) so I think he knows what he's on about. Out of those reviews, this is the cam that he chose to use in his own car, so if it's good enough for him....

If you don't want the rear-facing cam then I'm sure you should be able to get just the front one on its own.

I should say that I use a Viofo A119S which is very similar, but I'd already bought and fitted mine before seeing his review so decided to stick with it.

I have had Viofo A119 (Volvo V70), A119Sv2 (Nissan Leaf) and now have A129 Duo in both cars (GS450h, Model 3). 

I think unless you're prepared to spend the price of a BlackVue DR900S (£500) then the A129 Duo is a clear and obvious choice for quality vs price. Make sure you get Circular Polarisers for both front and rear (same fitting, but although they are expensive get the official one. Third-party ones are useless). 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for the ideas- Is it reasonably easy to fit the unit by yourself or is it recommended to get it professionally fitted (hardwiring front and rear camera, hiding any dangling cable etc). Are there kit available for DIY fittings?

you can normally buy a hard wiring kit with most dash cam's, its extra of course, you may also have to pay extra for the SD card and polarisers, so make sure you take this into account  when comparing different dash cam prices. If you have basic electrical tools / experience you can fit it your self,   I had the Thinkware U1000 fitted professionally, yes it was £580 inc (£120 fitting ) total not cheep, but the 4K front and 2K rear images are amazingly clear and i my opinion you need a good clear image if anything happens otherwise what's the point in having one also to me parking mode was important. this of course in not to say a cheep on will not give you a good image.