Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic converter theft and loss faith in humanity

black-on-black

Well it seems my wife's Rx400h has been a victim of catalytic converter theft. Nothing new right? But I've been very disappointed in people. Such as the Police and people that were in flats at time of incident.

Apparently someone witnessed crime yet they didn't call the Police or call the Police or do anything for that matter. I found this out from third party and have them my phone number no call. Also don't get me started about distribution of letter appealing for help from neighbours to at least help try and track down the thieves. N. Police haven't really updated me on progress. So I've most definitely lost my faith in humanity. And also looks like the RX hybrid will be sold as we really don't want to deal with another theft and even if we were fit Cat lock it's not a guarantee it would be a sufficient deterrent.

I'm sorry it's happened to you but, really, what do you expect people to do?

The scrotes who do this have got it down to a fine art and can have the whole thing done in less than two minutes from start to finish, so they've gone before a call to the police can even be completed, and that's even if people know what's happening and know to call the police.

Most people will hear a noise and may look out of the window to see what's going on, only to see a guy in overalls under a car, so the natural and normal assumption is that it's a mechanic doing legitimate work.

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm sorry it's happened to you but, really, what do you expect people to do?

The scrotes who do this have got it down to a fine art and can have the whole thing done in less than two minutes from start to finish, so they've gone before a call to the police can even be completed, and that's even if people know what's happening and know to call the police.

Most people will hear a noise and may look out of the window to see what's going on, only to see a guy in overalls under a car, so the natural and normal assumption is that it's a mechanic doing legitimate work.

I expect them to at least try and inform me of anything they saw. After all if it was a different kind of theft and happend to them they wouldn't be happy about it right? But we tried to prevent it or seek justice it would at least make things right. But end of day Police budget cuts are really to blame here. 

@Herbie @black-on-black we have seen a spate of thefts around our local area too, and have had a few customers come in recently. Unfortunately, with a poor police response this problem is not going away. Fortunately Lexus have just released a Cat Lock which we are currently offering at 10% discount off the RRP and free shipping to Club members using code lovelexus

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-ii-2004-2008/lexus-rx-2004-2008-exterior-interior/lexus-rx-phase-2-catalytic-converter-lock/

Catlock.png

That's good news Lee and great to hear that something's being done at last.

What about other models though, given that this one is only for series 2 models?

I've never even seen the underside of my (or anyone else's) RX450h and there seems to be a surprising lack of photos on the Internet, so I'm not even sure if we have an accessible, and therefore suseptable, cat underneath or if the cats are in the engine bay like some other models.

Robert I am sorry to hear about the theft from your car. However do not blame the make or model of car this is a problem for all makes. Obviously here on LOC you will only rely hear about thefts from Lexus cars, but this is a problem for all vehicles fitted with catalytic converters.
There is no fundamental difference between the cats from any manufacturer changing to another make will not make you immune from this problem, and you will loose more money changing cars than having cat stolen five times.
About the only ways you can stop this 100% is to buy an old car not fitted with a cat, or buy an electric vehicle.

John.