Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I started a job in a house this week for what looks like a fairly  wealthy family 

On the other side of the house is a blue 02 reg ls430.

4 flat tyres ,suspension low and covered in moss.

I mentioned it to the lady and its her old car and they just dont use it.

I did an mot check and it looks like it ran out in 2017. On around 65k miles.  Good mot history too.

Ive not so subtly mentioned im a jap car nut and ill be interested. 

Am i being a bit daft not wanting a once nice car left to rot

• Like 1

The suspension is likely to go down being left so long and if you can see a decent outcome go for it, sounds like you wouldn't have to pay much.  Did they say why they stopped using it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chasdad said:

I did an mot check and it looks like it ran out in 2017. On around 65k miles.  Good mot history too.

Ive not so subtly mentioned im a jap car nut and ill be interested. 

I'd be wary of a car that's been sat that long. Will likely need a fair bit of work to get it back on the road and if the engine has corrosion on the cylinder walls or the valves due to lack of use that could get pretty expensive.

Can you do most of the work yourself? Do you have the time? What will you do when it's finished? If you intend to sell it, is it likely to be financially viable? Even with a new Battery you might have to disable/deactivate the immobiliser somehow.

I'm trying to buy a 1996 LS400 that's been sitting for 3 years, so the brakes will need overhauling (due to a fluid loss), along with a new timing belt and water pump and full service. There are several other issues, but even doing the work myself, which luckily I have the time and inclination to do, I reckon I won't have much change out of £2,000. I intend to keep the car for a while, but still don't want to pay much more than it's scrap value of £100. In it's favour, the mileage is only 80,000 with just two owners, both of whom are known to me.

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Then there's rust, infestation, rats or mice chewing through electrics.  Wouldn't touch it with the proverbial

It's only been two years, it's hardly an old barn find!

16 hours ago, Chasdad said:

No. Offer them a few quid if you have a way to move it and take things from there. If things don't work out part it out. Don't listen to the naysayers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

It's only been two years, it's hardly an old barn find!

Flat tyres, covered in moss, I think it would have been better if it had been a Barn find. Seized Calipers, possible internal engine damage (I had an MR2 garaged for six years and during that time it developed a Head gasket corrosion problem) and then would you have to change the Cam belt? - big expense. New tryres etc etc.   Good luck to anyone who wants the challenge when you can get a MOT'd one for maybe £2k upward.

41 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Flat tyres, covered in moss, I think it would have been better if it had been a Barn find. Seized Calipers, possible internal engine damage (I had an MR2 garaged for six years and during that time it developed a Head gasket corrosion problem) and then would you have to change the Cam belt? - big expense. New tryres etc etc.   Good luck to anyone who wants the challenge when you can get a MOT'd one for maybe £2k upward.

Remember we're talking here about the possibility of getting it for peanuts. I'd risk it.

If its not for peanuts i wont risk it. Got my toyota crown replacement on its way home from japan. So the mrs wont have me spending anymore
Let us know what they say! If you broke it for parts you could make some dough!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ajchetcuti said:

Agreed here. My car was sat for 6 years and it's had zero ill effects. It's in great condition!

One data point is not a good basis on which to make decisions. As others have said there are a lot of potential problems. In the same way that some people can smoke and drink whiskey all their lives and live to 90 without any apparent health issues, what you really need to do is look at the aggregate of 100,000 people doing the same thing.

Of course if it's cheap enough and you're willing to spend the time checking it out then sure why not, I just wouldn't risk a significant chunk of change on such a thing.

One data point is not a good basis on which to make decisions. As others have said there are a lot of potential problems. In the same way that some people can smoke and drink whiskey all their lives and live to 90 without any apparent health issues, what you really need to do is look at the aggregate of 100,000 people doing the same thing.
Of course if it's cheap enough and you're willing to spend the time checking it out then sure why not, I just wouldn't risk a significant chunk of change on such a thing.
Just sharing my personal experience and opinion [emoji6][emoji4].

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

And now for something completely different!

I know a lot of people on the forum have Mercedes past experience and for good reason some Cars can be money pits which have leaned us toward Lexus.. 

If I had had the space and time, I certainly would have taken a punt on this vehicle.  Of course it maybe that it has no engine, or that title may be disputed but someone i.m.o will have got a bargain I suspect.  As a second Car - yes please

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293381314077?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

32 minutes ago, jonthetourist said:

I had one of those as my only car for 5 years before I switched to my first LS430 (now on my second). Great fun if you take the revs past 4k, very calm otherwise, and practical with a hard top for winter. 

Is your current 430 the one you bought from Stellar John?

If yes, can we have an update please?

9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Is your current 430 the one you bought from Stellar John?

If yes, can we have an update please?

So far so good. Took it into Lexus Cheltenham for its annual service (intermediate) who gave it a clean bill of health. However I had asked them to fix the alignment on the headlights as part of it. They did the dipped beam, but not main. When I called them to point it out, they said main beam can't be adjusted. So I sent them some detail from the US forum on how to do it, and took it back in.

Despite the unbroken Lexus service history it's going in to Osaka next year - they are just so much smarter on these cars.

The paintwork was in good nick, but felt a bit matte. 15 years of London air, I guess. Eventually I got a clay mitt onto it and it is transformed. Much quicker job than I expected too.

Jon

PS Just realised most people won't know the back story. After 4 years with my Irish 430, I decided I couldn't see myself driving anything else, so this year bought the best one I could find, for huge money. One owner, 42k miles, full Lexus service history. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links