Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Big problem coming home 2 am no lights on dash, no lights on car apart from rear very dim. Battery recently replaced, showing all ok. Plugged scanner in took an age to show anything.

When it did said crank sensor. I will try again when light. Question is where is it located. Car will not start since turned off. And no lights when turned on?

Best thing to do is check the voltage of the Battery when the engine is running if its not around 14v then I would be almost certain your alternator has failed thus your Battery is being depleted.

I had a failed alternator on my is250 and when it happened everything on the car shutdown [Steering, Brakes, Engine Misfiring] so I am not sure you can trust the diagnostic error code at this point.

I was thinking alternator as soon as I read the description. As the alternator fails the only power all the ECU's are getting is whatever the Battery has left to give. Slowly one by one ECU will start reporting issues. Heavy power items like power steering etc will not work. Seems like in America it's a very common issue with the IS and many have changed their alternators. But people do say that there are usually signs before it fails like Battery light illuminating. Did you not have any signs before hand? It's rather scary to think of all this failing on the motorway or on dark country road. 

Wondering if it's worth replacing the alternator as a preventative precaution?

Has anyone else had their alternators fail like this?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links