Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Hybrid System Warning

Hiya - so after not using the car for a couple of weeks, last night turned it on and got check hybrid system warning message. 
 This is on rx450h 2011 with 115,000 miles if that makes any difference. 

The car drives but engine only mode, hybrid system does not engage. I’ve read as a first course of action worth a shot is to disconnect the negative terminal for 10 minutes or read the code with tech stream which I do not have. I’m tempted to try the Battery terminal disconnect would anyone say that’s a bad idea? If not where is the Battery in the 450?

Under the boot floor on the left side. Got to be worth a try as a first step that costs nothing.

I sincerely hope it's not the aircon debacle come back to bite you on the bum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpower said:

The car drives but engine only mode, hybrid system does not engage

Hybrid system must be ready, or the car wouldn't start, it's the hybrid electric motor that spins the engine to start it.

How long are you driving before saying the hybrid system doesn't engage (by which I understand you to mean the car won't go into EV mode)?

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Hybrid system must be ready, or the car wouldn't start, it's the hybrid electric motor that spins the engine to start it.

How long are you driving before saying the hybrid system doesn't engage (by which I understand you to mean the car won't go into EV mode)?

Correct it won't go into EV mode.  It actually showed up while I was still parked so came on before I even started driving.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Under the boot floor on the left side. Got to be worth a try as a first step that costs nothing.

I sincerely hope it's not the aircon debacle come back to bite you on the bum.

Oh gosh not worth thinking about, and I had moved on with my life too 😀  Thanks will try the Battery when I get a minute today.

Time flew by yesterday - but today took off the negative left for at least 30 mins, then placed back on.  Went out for a 30 min drive and no messages or errors and all the other electronics are all working (was scared it might cause some other issue) -- not going to celebrate just yet but so far so good. 🤞

• Like 3