Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Run over pothole - result is a flat tyre!

Vlady

Hi all, never thought it would happen to me but with so many potholes around Glasgow this was just a matter of time.

Basically, run over pothole, heard a very unpleasant noise when it happen (when your suspension hits the bump) and thought straight away - it will be a damaged alloy wheel, burst tyre or even damaged suspension! For 4 seconds all was quite which gave me hope but 3 seconds later the tyre pressure monitor came on and I though - this is it, that was MY pothole! Checked the tyre which was losing pressure which seemed like from the side cut (it was already dark outside and ****** with rain), so parked safely and put on a spare wheel. Came home, washed the flat tyre, took it home and I can't find the cut or the place where it burst, which tells me may be it is just a seal between the wheel and the tyre. I will get a compressor out and try to inflate it and see what happens.

The worry I have is damage I do not see i.e possibility of the bulge in tyre in a near future, damaged alloy wheel or even a suspension! 

I took a few photos of the pothole, as good as I could considering the time and the weather, in case i need these. 

Did that happen to you? What should I do? Who do I complain about it and will it get me anywhere? I think I would have more chances if the tyre was visually damaged but it's not, however, I am afraid of the internals of the tyre, the wheel and suspension.

Also going away tomorrow for 10 days holidays is not helping as I can't even takes the photos of the pothole during day light!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Vlad

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Hi all, never thought it would happen to me but with so many potholes around Glasgow this was just a matter of time.

Basically, run over pothole, heard a very unpleasant noise when it happen (when your suspension hits the bump) and thought straight away - it will be a damaged alloy wheel, burst tyre or even damaged suspension! For 4 seconds all was quite which gave me hope but 3 seconds later the tyre pressure monitor came on and I though - this is it, that was MY pothole! Checked the tyre which was losing pressure which seemed like from the side cut (it was already dark outside and ****** with rain), so parked safely and put on a spare wheel. Came home, washed the flat tyre, took it home and I can't find the cut or the place where it burst, which tells me may be it is just a seal between the wheel and the tyre. I will get a compressor out and try to inflate it and see what happens.

The worry I have is damage I do not see i.e possibility of the bulge in tyre in a near future, damaged alloy wheel or even a suspension! 

I took a few photos of the pothole, as good as I could considering the time and the weather, in case i need these. 

Did that happen to you? What should I do? Who do I complain about it and will it get me anywhere? I think I would have more chances if the tyre was visually damaged but it's not, however, I am afraid of the internals of the tyre, the wheel and suspension.

Also going away tomorrow for 10 days holidays is not helping as I can't even takes the photos of the pothole during day light!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Vlad

I would lodge my complaint to your local council ASAP, explain that your going away but will come back to the issue on your return.  Can you get a friend to take some photos?  With the amount councils are paying out you'd think it would be cheaper to repair the holes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I would lodge my complaint to your local council ASAP, explain that your going away but will come back to the issue on your return.  Can you get a friend to take some photos?  With the amount councils are paying out you'd think it would be cheaper to repair the holes!

Thanks Phil for an advice. I just pumped the tyre and there is a cut, not massive but it is on a side of the tyre so not repairable, took a few photos anyway. Will get in touch with council ASAP!

Do I call them or just go to Council online and fill the form? Does anyone knows?

Thanks Phil again.

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Thanks Phil for an advice. I just pumped the tyre and there is a cut, not massive but it is on a side of the tyre so not repairable, took a few photos anyway. Will get in touch with council ASAP!

Do I call them or just go to Council online and fill the form? Does anyone knows?

Thanks Phil again.

I've not done it (yet) but if there's an online form that may be best I would think. Just don't let them get away with it!

I have been through this after a pothole literally burst a front shock absorber.
On line I found that a contractor was responsible for all road repairs, and claims in Herefordshire with multiple on line claims forms. My claim for over £600 was going nowhere fast. Every obstacle  that could be put in my way to put me off the claim was done.
 I rang the local council, and told them I was taking the council  to the small claims court. The council came back, and said the contractor was the party to claim against. I then wrote to the council stating the council was responsible for the roads, and they could not in law pass on there liability to a third party, and that if my claim was not settled in 14 days I would go down the court route.
Seven days later I had a check for payment in full from the contractor.
Moral if you know you are right keep pushing. It's not the value of the claim, but the principle that's at stake.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Britprius thanks for a reply. Did you fix the car first and then got money back from council? I mean, do I go ahead and take it to garage, get it checked and fixed and then try to get compensation from the council? Cheers!

10 hours ago, Britprius said:

I have been through this after a pothole literally burst a front shock absorber.
On line I found that a contractor was responsible for all road repairs, and claims in Herefordshire with multiple on line claims forms. My claim for over £600 was going nowhere fast. Every obstacle  that could be put in my way to put me off the claim was done.
 I rang the local council, and told them I was taking the council  to the small claims court. The council came back, and said the contractor was the party to claim against. I then wrote to the council stating the council was responsible for the roads, and they could not in law pass on there liability to a third party, and that if my claim was not settled in 14 days I would go down the court route.
Seven days later I had a check for payment in full from the contractor.
Moral if you know you are right keep pushing. It's not the value of the claim, but the principle that's at stake.

John

Goodness, used to be a lot easier. Years ago ('95?) I had a brand new Citroen AX and damaged a wheel, tyre and front suspension. Took a couple of photos, got a written quote from the main dealer and a cheque from the council arrived in short order!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vlady said:

@Britprius thanks for a reply. Did you fix the car first and then got money back from council? I mean, do I go ahead and take it to garage, get it checked and fixed and then try to get compensation from the council? Cheers!

I had the car fixed the car, and sent a copy of the invoice to both the contractor, and the council. Being disabled I could not be without the car for weeks until the claim was settled.
 I am not saying all councils or areas will be the same, but if you believe you are being given the run around do not be afraid to start pushing.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my tyre changed today and wheel alignment done (it is needed to be done apparently), so the accident with the pothole cost me £221! 

I heard nothing from council yet but blaming that on festive period.

11 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Got my tyre changed today and wheel alignment done (it is needed to be done apparently), so the accident with the pothole cost me £221! 

I heard nothing from council yet but blaming that on festive period.

Keep at them, don't let them win.  I was driving through Kent yesterday in a van, near Tenterden, the worst potholed roads I've ever known, so dangerous as everyone weaves around them.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Keep at them, don't let them win.  I was driving through Kent yesterday in a van, near Tenterden, the worst potholed roads I've ever known, so dangerous as everyone weaves around them.  

Phil I will, I keep all the records (receipts) in case I need them. Someone told me it can take up to 1 year to get a refund from council!

It's not just about money, it is principal for me, we pay taxes and roads are ******* and being repaired as bad, no preparation just patches over potholes - shocking!

Funny thins is - the pothole I run over was fixed 2 days later! 🙂

• Like 3

It would be worth checking on FixMyStreet or similar ,  to see if anyone else reported this pothole before your incident. The council will claim that it had just occurred and they cannot be held responsible for it as they didn't know. If someone else has reported it on a public forum that argument will fail. The fact that it was fixed 2 days later suggests that it had already been reported as councils take weeks and months to react to  potholes reports. We should all report potholes and the like on public forums as it puts a public marker down as to when the pothole was reported. and stops them wriggling out of their responsibilities

Good luck and don't give up.

Graham

• Like 3

aaaahhhh           if only cars could run OVER potholes rather than just plop into them eh !

the other issue with potholes is that even if you don't see any damage at all to wheel or tyre it's quite likely it's put the wheel alignment out and will cause overall uneven tyre wear or worse whatever and cost you to have the alignment checked and sorted at £30 a time for the fronts alone ........  soon adds up with no one to blame seemingly :whip:

Malc

5 hours ago, Malc said:

aaaahhhh           if only cars could run OVER potholes rather than just plop into them eh !

the other issue with potholes is that even if you don't see any damage at all to wheel or tyre it's quite likely it's put the wheel alignment out and will cause overall uneven tyre wear or worse whatever and cost you to have the alignment checked and sorted at £30 a time for the fronts alone ........  soon adds up with no one to blame seemingly :whip:

Malc

Malc I had a full wheel alignment done as well, just to make sure it is fine as 1.5 months ago I put 4 new tyres on and at that time I also did wheel alignment! 

• 2 months later...

Couple of days ago I got a letter from Glasgow council regards my burst tyre running over pothole saying they will not reimburse it! F..ing bastards! But I will get in touch with them again!

They say they check roads 12 times a year and when it was last checked the road was fine so Glasgow Council is not at fault, the letter says last time the road was checked on 22 of November and I hit that pothole on 18th of December, so they were not aware of that pothole but somehow on 20th of December the pothole was properly fixed that tells me they knew about it and planned to fix it, am I right to think that? Something doesn't up!

Any advice? As I am rubbish in writing complain letters but in this case I think I am right! Thanks

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Got email from Glasgow Council, at least they confirmed that they received my complain! Another 20 days of waiting,I don't mind as long as I have a positive outcome out of it!

Screenshot-20200519-174348-Email.jpg

I had same issue with my former 2014 GS300h, a  pothole hidden by water as it was raining. Unluckily GS had 225/40 r19 tyres and  this low height it's easy to have damages.

Then, next car I bought is a RX with /55 tyres. 

13 hours ago, Zotto said:

I had same issue with my former 2014 GS300h, a  pothole hidden by water as it was raining. Unluckily GS had 225/40 r19 tyres and  this low height it's easy to have damages.

Then, next car I bought is a RX with /55 tyres. 

Luigi that was a big deep pothole, you actually could see steel wires inside asphalt! It was also rainy evening, I honestly thought that I damaged the wheel and may be a suspension arm and I wasn't going fast either, maybe 20-25tops mph!

I have 18inch wheeks Luigi on my Lexus with 45 tyres, may be next car to be an SUV! 🙂

On 3/22/2020 at 7:22 PM, Vlady said:

Couple of days ago I got a letter from Glasgow council regards my burst tyre running over pothole saying they will not reimburse it! F..ing bastards! But I will get in touch with them again!

They say they check roads 12 times a year and when it was last checked the road was fine so Glasgow Council is not at fault, the letter says last time the road was checked on 22 of November and I hit that pothole on 18th of December, so they were not aware of that pothole but somehow on 20th of December the pothole was properly fixed that tells me they knew about it and planned to fix it, am I right to think that? Something doesn't up!

Any advice? As I am rubbish in writing complain letters but in this case I think I am right! Thanks

The fact that the council claim to have an inspection regime in place is no defence. Let’s put the shoe on the other foot.

You are driving along and you see a police car behind you (OK rare I know) requesting you pull over. You pull over and the officer checks your tyres and finds 2 are below the legal limit and one has a dangerous bulge in the inner sidewall. 

Can you imagine the response if you then turned around and said “My tyres are checked 12 times a year, the last inspection was 28 days ago and the next is due in 4 days so it’s not my fault this has happened inbetween”

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The fact that the council claim to have an inspection regime in place is no defence. Let’s put the shoe on the other foot.

You are driving along and you see a police car behind you (OK rare I know) requesting you pull over. You pull over and the officer checks your tyres and finds 2 are below the legal limit and one has a dangerous bulge in the inner sidewall. 

Can you imagine the response if you then turned around and said “My tyres are checked 12 times a year, the last inspection was 28 days ago and the next is due in 4 days so it’s not my fault this has happened inbetween”

Steve, this is a great point, I will keep this in mind and use it as an example if I have to! 🙂

Knowing Council they might come up with all sorts of reasons so they don't reimburse me money. I will keep appealing again and again and again!

I doubt they will even show me a report when the road was checked last time, I also asked them for a pothole repair schedule to see how quickly they react once they know there is a pothole on the road, doubt I get that as well!

Thanks!

The only way to obtain a refund, at least here where I live, is stopping nearby and calling local police to have confirmation of damages, and make some photos too.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zotto said:

The only way to obtain a refund, at least here where I live, is stopping nearby and calling local police to have confirmation of damages, and make some photos too.

I have plenty photos Luigi but never thought to go to police, plus I was on my way to pick up my daughter from nursery and it also was last evening before we went on holidays for a couple of weeks, luckily i had enough time to take a few pictures. Also, Police department we had not far from us is shutdown! 😞

Well, I will let you guys know how it goes, I am still hoping for a happy ending.:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vlady said:

Steve, this is a great point, I will keep this in mind and use it as an example if I have to! 🙂

Knowing Council they might come up with all sorts of reasons so they don't reimburse me money. I will keep appealing again and again and again!

I doubt they will even show me a report when the road was checked last time, I also asked them for a pothole repair schedule to see how quickly they react once they know there is a pothole on the road, doubt I get that as well!

Thanks!

Just request under the Freedom of Information SARS  Act

• Thanks 1