Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent.

Stompe

Just to let you know, Nationwide theives are targeting Hybrid catalytic converters. Unfortunately mine was stolen. My Lexus dealer has informed me that the stock availability on Prius catalytic convertors has no ETA. My dealer has been able to get a Lexus one in for me. There is a device to protect the convertors currently but for limited Toyota vehicles and not for the Lexus ct200h. For anyone not seen the article, follow the link https://mol.im/a/7800625. Be careful where you park your vehicles!

• Sad 1

Thanks for posting Steve but if you search the forums you'll see that it's been covered dozens of times and is old news - one post on the RX forum is up to about 6 pages.

Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. As you've already seen from those videos you linked to, it takes less than two minutes for the scrotes to get under, get the cat off and get away.

A call to the police would take longer than that - and that's even if anyone thinks to report it!

One or two people may look out of their windows to see what the noise is but what do they see? A guy in overalls under a car, so the assumption is that it's a genuine mechanic doing a quick callout repair.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Yorky Pud said:

Very sorry to hear you've had your Cat stolen. Can I ask where your vehicle was at the time of the theft?

Thanks for your concern. It was parked in a shopping centre car park in Ilford, Essex. 

My nearest neighbor had his cat stolen from his Mitsubishi pickup on his driveway, and I live in the very rural Herefordshire so this problem is not just confined to towns. Being a landscape gardener he has built a large speed hump cross shaped in his drive and now parks straddling it. The vehicles ground clearance is now about 2", and is fitted with a very loud tilt alarm separate to the OEM alarm.

John.  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it happened to you. I’d assumed the CT was a less likely target given the limited ground clearance but I guess some thieves might have trolley jacks to get around this. I believe smart water has been created now that can take the high temperature, might deter thieves or at least stand a chance of identifying them if it happens. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stompe said:

It was parked in a shopping centre car park in Ilford, Essex. 

So if your car is not in a locked garage it isn't safe. And I also falsely thought the CT would be safer due to the low ground clearance

I've had a metal piece fitted by a local independent that serves a lot of the Prius taxis in London, it cost me £70.

Not sure how sturdy or resilient it may be against an angle grinder but my hope is that the added time it would take to cut an appropriate hole through it might dissuade any thieves.0362aabdffea421cf767e61f2a359513.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, DrShockr said:

I've had a metal piece fitted by a local independent that serves a lot of the Prius taxis in London, it cost me £70.

Not sure how sturdy or resilient it may be against an angle grinder but my hope is that the added time it would take to cut an appropriate hole through it might dissuade any thieves.0362aabdffea421cf767e61f2a359513.jpg

Very neat job, and for what it's worth aluminium is terrible to cut with an angle grinder as it tends to stick to and clog the grinding wheel.

John.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DrShockr said:

One way of making it harder for them just a pity Lexus haven't bought out a cat lock yet!

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 6:19 PM, Britprius said:

Very neat job, and for what it's worth aluminium is terrible to cut with an angle grinder as it tends to stick to and clog the grinding wheel.

John.

Not only does it clog the grinding wheel but if they go on to use the grinding wheel on steel it can explode.... Never use a grinding wheel or stone on on aluminium and then on steel....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I live in south London and own a Lexus CT 200h. I’d like to have a plate fitted over the catalytic converter like the one in the picture. 
would you be able to share the garage address please?

many thanks 

Sapatinhos 

Hi there is a plate, available on eBay to fit over the cat, which should stop the low lifes from stealing it, it costs £40 plus £12 postage, which is a bit expensive, but a lot less than a new cat, I have emailed the makers, to check it will fit my late 2018 CT200H as they just say it's for the LexusCT200 I await their reply, 

Hi Stormchaser.

Thank you very much for your reply, I had hoped they might be, i will go ahead and order one, probably ask the independent garage that I used, knew well , and trusted before I purchased my new Lexus to fit it for me, their hourly rate is much less than the main dealer.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...