Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent.

Stompe

• 2 weeks later...

Yes sure

i had it done at my Lexus garage in Lincoln and it cost me £250
they told me it’s the best there is out there.For that I got the catloc,the catloc fitted with shear bolts that took 1hr and a video of the installation😁

also it’s registered and security etched and a couple of stickers for the windows 

BF21CFE7-AB2F-47F3-A97B-6A4312FD3963.jpeg

Hi,

I'm also thinking of getting the Lexus cat lock fitted are there any drawbacks you found since the installation such as vibrations, rattles increase in sound coming through the floor it would help to know before biting the bullet and getting it installed.

12 hours ago, Colvic25 said:

Hi,

I'm also thinking of getting the Lexus cat lock fitted are there any drawbacks you found since the installation such as vibrations, rattles increase in sound coming through the floor it would help to know before biting the bullet and getting it installed.

No nothing,not that I’ve noticed.and we’ve done plenty of driving since it’s been on👍

Had exactly the same fitted to my CT by Lexus Cambridge. Made no difference to the performance or hadling of the car. Would not know it was there apart from the stickers on the windows. I have changed the CT for a UX so can't say how affective the Catloc will be in the long term.

Thanks Charlie for that info very reasuoreing and will defiantly have one fitted can I ask do you remember what it cost you for Lexus to supply and fit, I know you can pick the lock mechanism up for around £205:00 & believe its pretty straight forward to install for a garage that is 👍

• 1 month later...

sorry to keep going on about this but it's the only thing that's preventing me from buying a CT200h .. the dreaded cat thefts.

Has anyone who has a catlock fitted suffered this misfortune?

I see that Stompe, who it would seem lives near me, had his stolen from Ilford. Everything ok since the catlock fitted?

Do breakdown services rescue you, or is a theft not classed as a breakdown?

It's so annoying that these low life thieves are putting me off buying the car I want.

However, I don't want to be continuously worried that the cat has been stolen every time I go somewhere!

image.jpeg.243852780b221f3fa01b79beb1f53a50.jpeg

Hi Schroder I hope you don't mind me saying but you really should put this into prospective, in my area of South Wales the CT against all other Hybrid cars are rare that's one of the attractions for me buying my CT so the chances your car will be targeted above all others I would say are low,

I can fully understand your concerns which I have had and yes i've had the Catloc installed which rightly or wrongly gives me some peace of mind, I know it will make it a lot harder for thieves to steel but its the same as anything if they want it they will take it that's life I guess,

However I do feel the Loc is a good deterrent & if they know of an easier target I'm sure they would target that instead of spending time removing both Loc & Cat on yours, I would say always be mindful on where you park the car no dark side streets or quiet car parks but that would apply to all cars,

Go for it Schroder its a lovely car I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Like 1

Hi Colvic25, thanks for your reply.

no I don't mind you saying and you are probably right! Forums are great but you tend to hear the negative things rather than the positive. There is no way to tell what percentage of owners experience this misfortune and whether the fitting of a catlock makes any difference.

15 hours ago, schroder said:

sorry to keep going on about this but it's the only thing that's preventing me from buying a CT200h .. the dreaded cat thefts.

Has anyone who has a catlock fitted suffered this misfortune?

I see that Stompe, who it would seem lives near me, had his stolen from Ilford. Everything ok since the catlock fitted?

Do breakdown services rescue you, or is a theft not classed as a breakdown?

It's so annoying that these low life thieves are putting me off buying the car I want.

However, I don't want to be continuously worried that the cat has been stolen every time I go somewhere!

image.jpeg.243852780b221f3fa01b79beb1f53a50.jpeg

Hi David

I was recovered by Lexus Roadside Assistance, it happened in The Exchange in Ilford and the driver that recovered me said that he had done several of these recoveries  that week.  The Catloc was fitted by my Lexus Dealer and they informed me that on the Prius there was a three month backlog for new catalytic exhausts.  RX had no date for deliver of these so I was lucky to get mine done within a few days.  It has made me more aware of where I park the vehicle now even with the Catloc and stickers on the windows but it is still in the back of my mind.  I just hope the scum that do it can read English!  After all said and done I would not get rid of the car because of this.  My insurance company was not interested when I told them I had the Dealer Catloc fitted with the database registration.  I was thinking of a dashcam but I was told they will just smash the window and grab the dashcam.  Good luck in you decision, personally it is not just Lexus/Toyotas it is other makes too.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 10:16 AM, Stompe said:

Hi David

I was recovered by Lexus Roadside Assistance, it happened in The Exchange in Ilford and the driver that recovered me said that he had done several of these recoveries  that week.  The Catloc was fitted by my Lexus Dealer and they informed me that on the Prius there was a three month backlog for new catalytic exhausts.  RX had no date for deliver of these so I was lucky to get mine done within a few days.  It has made me more aware of where I park the vehicle now even with the Catloc and stickers on the windows but it is still in the back of my mind.  I just hope the scum that do it can read English!  After all said and done I would not get rid of the car because of this.  My insurance company was not interested when I told them I had the Dealer Catloc fitted with the database registration.  I was thinking of a dashcam but I was told they will just smash the window and grab the dashcam.  Good luck in you decision, personally it is not just Lexus/Toyotas it is other makes too.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve,

Ours is booked in at Lexus on Friday for a fitting, they reckon it could delay the theft by up to 30mins which sounds like a decent deterrent.

• Like 1

i had one fitted by a lexus dealership and i paid £123 inc .vat fitted.might be worth your while trying for a discount. as for lexus roadside assistance ( the AA ) i used to work for them and yes it's covered because the car cannot be driven without it ( because of the noise). it's the same as if your tyres are slashed or any other form of vandalism preventing it from being driven.i know the CT has a spacesaver but if you don't feel safe drivng it then they won't refuse.

Is the cat located in a particularly vulnerable position on the CT or are other cars similarly affected? I had always assumed that the cat is located as close to the manifold as possible where the gasses are hottest.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the part fitted as recommended by Dr S, I asked the garage this question, he showed me underneath the car the cat is extremely exposed in the stock format. I was going to originally go down the main dealer route but was put off by the lead time + the ground clearance with the catloc. The supply and fit was £70, the plate looks thin and flimsy but I can assure you is not. Also I asked about rattling they introduce a small bend at the end of the plate and I can having driven over a few rough roads, on a few fast roads and over a few speed bumps faster then I should I can't hear any rattling. Pictures before and after:

DSC_0022.JPG

Screenshot_20201114-171351.png

• Like 3

IIRC it was 6 bolts, the way he fitted it he took the bolts off slid the plate in between and reattached the bolts, yes your correct i.e. theoretically the would be thief could just walk around with an impact wrench but then they would need to jack up the car, undo the bolts which are probably over torqued then cut it out. I've spoken to a few garages and most of the time they just have the cutter - at the end of the day if they really want to take it they will, you could try purchasing lock nuts to replace the ones already fitted however again its not impossible to get around. One of the garages I've spoken to I know the owner personally and his feedback was he's not had a car return once the plate was fitted... read into that what you will 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -Rich- said:

Anything that slows them down or deters them completely is better than nothing. But like you say, if they really want it they'll have it!

I had the Lexus one fitted like JPG above, fitted with shear bolts and a couple of window stickers as a deterrent.

Service Tech assured me that even with all the required workshop kit it would take in excess of 30mins to butcher off.

As the rewards are only in the £100/£200 range at the dodgy tat yards it is only really viable if one quickly jacks the car up while the other chops the pipe off both sides of the cat with a reciprocating saw. The whole deadly dead is usually completed in 2-3 mins, they will not bother now if a catloc is fitted, takes too long and increases the chances of getting caught.

IMG-20201106-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

Completely agree, tbh I was torn between the main dealer catloc and the alternative aftermarket i ended up with, for me ultimately it came down to convenience - there are no fit while you wait appointments at Lexus till December where I live, the alternative was dropping the car off during a work day and collecting it later, which given my working hours would be impractical without leaving the car there overnight. There have been a spate of thefts in my local area (2 of my neighbours + based on debris at the side of the road I'm assuming another car in the area) so didn't want to wait. My hope is the extra effort to cut it out would be enough to deter the would be thieves, as I mentioned in my previous post based on the garage owners experience it would appear most thieves are only carrying cutting tools.

There was a thread by someone over on the toyota forum who had his cat stolen even after fitting a catloc (though i cant recall if it were a main dealer fitted part or aftermarket) - just something to be aware of, there are a number of publicly shared videos of thieves cutting out the cat in broad daylight and appear to be in no rush to get the job done. From my perspective I wanted to do something to protect my property from theft even if it's just a deterrent.

Lastly while the ct200h has an alarm loud enough to wake the dead i suspect though not sure if it has a tilt sensor, Lexus Twickenham actually suggested getting a tilt sensor fitted as an extra with the catloc when i asked them about catloc prices for an extra £60 i think. Personally i would just go down the aftermarket route with a wireless £10 from amazon which at least has its own Battery and super simple to install - still mulling this just dont like the thought of an extra fob in my pocket.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Poundy said:

I had the Lexus one fitted like JPG above, fitted with shear bolts and a couple of window stickers as a deterrent.

Service Tech assured me that even with all the required workshop kit it would take in excess of 30mins to butcher off.

As the rewards are only in the £100/£200 range at the dodgy tat yards it is only really viable if one quickly jacks the car up while the other chops the pipe off both sides of the cat with a reciprocating saw. The whole deadly dead is usually completed in 2-3 mins, they will not bother now if a catloc is fitted, takes too long and increases the chances of getting caught.

IMG-20201106-WA0001.jpg

Poundy do you have ground clearence issues with the catloc? this was one of the factors in my decision to go aftermarket the cars low enough the door scrapes on pavements & some driveways, i didnt want to have anything installed which would be lower than any other component on the undercarriage.