Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spring meet in 2020

Hi everyone! 

So.... last time I planned a meet was the Derbyshire tour when my son ended up being born 3 months early the day before the event so I couldn't attend! Equal measures of joy and sadness that day 😁😢

Anyway, its about time I did another one so planning to do something in March or April next year. 

We seem to have members in a huge split of locations across the UK but talking to a few of my mates in the states who regularly do 12 and 14 hour drives to get to one day events then we should all be able to manage a nice central (midlandsish) UK location. 

Taking some feedback from the Derbyshire event it seems that lots of people got lost before they'd even left Derby so perhaps I was a little ambitious with my plans. 

With that in mind I'm thinking of doing a single central location for the meet and we can then arrange northbound and southbound group drives on the way to and from the event for our various members. 

Thinking of a nice cafe, restaurant, hotel or stately home with ample allocated parking and decent food as the central location with some good A roads to and from for us all. 

So, just a show of hands at this stage, who's in?!? 

There is the Caffine and cars place (I may have got the name wrong) near Silverstone would that be central enough? A few people I know have been there and really rate the place.

It's called Caffine and Machine and they now charge ÂŁ5 and ÂŁ10 for parking, which hasn't gone down well according to a few people I know.

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

There is the Caffine and cars place (I may have got the name wrong) near Silverstone would that be central enough? A few people I know have been there and really rate the place.

It's called Caffine and Machine and they now charge ÂŁ5 and ÂŁ10 for parking, which hasn't gone down well according to a few people I know.

Why would you pay ÂŁ10 to park to drink there coffee, and eat there food for which you pay? I am not tight, but nor do I like being taken for a mug.

John. 

12 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Why would you pay ÂŁ10 to park to drink there coffee, and eat there food for which you pay? I am not tight, but nor do I like being taken for a mug.

John. 

Indeed quite a few people have posted some unkind comments about it, when it was free it was okay. Another venue me thinks.

Not sure if anyone else agrees but I've been to a few car meets at the Cosford Aviation Museum apart from being a mind blowing place to visit there are some very good hotels in the area. We stayed in a converted monastery once.

8 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I wouldn't ever entertain C&M at a weekend. Quite nice during the week however

I’d guess most people wouldn’t be able to make a weekday due to work commitments..

If anyone is interested in RAF Cosford they do hold car gatherings there below is a photo of us when we held one of the worlds largest Subaru SVX owners meeting all six of us. Mine is the silver one.

If we did it on a Saturday or Sunday I'd drive up and stay at the Madeley Court Hotel, the food is excellent and if you want to splash out you can sleep in a four poster in the ancient part of the place.  Like I say the museum is something else if you like anything to do with aviation.

vcm_s_kf_repr_884x588.jpg

This was back in 2010

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

I’d guess most people wouldn’t be able to make a weekday due to work commitments..

Sorry - wasn’t suggesting a meet, just general comment on C&M

55 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

If anyone is interested in RAF Cosford they do hold car gatherings there below is a photo of us when we held one of the worlds largest Subaru SVX owners meeting all six of us. Mine is the silver one.

If we did it on a Saturday or Sunday I'd drive up and stay at the Madeley Court Hotel, the food is excellent and if you want to splash out you can sleep in a four poster in the ancient part of the place.  Like I say the museum is something else if you like anything to do with aviation.

vcm_s_kf_repr_884x588.jpg

This was back in 2010

I believe they do 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Indeed quite a few people have posted some unkind comments about it, when it was free it was okay. Another venue me thinks.

Not sure if anyone else agrees but I've been to a few car meets at the Cosford Aviation Museum apart from being a mind blowing place to visit there are some very good hotels in the area. We stayed in a converted monastery once.

So, I'll preface this by saying that Caffeine and Machine is awesome but it's often so overcrowded that it loses any sense of intimacy and you are just one of a massive crowd. I'm looking fir a different feel what we are the showpiece. Leave it with me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richard Kenny said:

Up for that - depending on dates and timing.

I was at caffeine and machine about 2 months ago, they did charge you 5....but you then got that back in coffee as far as I can remember......

Good stuff, the more the merrier. 

23 minutes ago, NothernDan said:

Always open to the original members my good man. Although you have to park at the back 😜

What if I told you I had customised the Merc - would that make a difference? 🤣

I've got a new air freshener - now that's customised!!!!