Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I’ve had my GS300h Luxury for 3 months now and love it. It’s taken a while to understand all the features and functions but basically I’m there. EXCEPT, while driving along the car occasionally emits a double beep without any other indication (no flashing light, message or anything). It happens on motorways, main roads, side roads, anywhere! I thought it may be associated with road signs, road markings, certain speeds, proximity to objects, but no, nothing correlates. Anyone have an idea what the beeping is?

Double beep is the speed camera warning, approx 0.5 mile from the camera. It only warns of fixed cameras. There is no documentation regarding this function. Only now in my 2019 model is there a mention in the owner's handbook

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Double beep is the speed camera warning, approx 0.5 mile from the camera. It only warns of fixed cameras. There is no documentation regarding this function. Only now in my 2019 model is there a mention in the owner's handbook

Thanks Peter.I experienced this in my GS when I got it 6 years ago and could not fathom it out  I just tolerated the beeping.

It was not in my Handbook either, so how did you find out the solution ?

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Peter.I experienced this in my GS when I got it 6 years ago and could not fathom it out  I just tolerated the beeping.

It was not in my Handbook either, so how did you find out the solution ?

Just correlated the beeps with passing cameras initially but got it confirmed by my dealer 

• Like 1

It's mapping data stored on the Sat nav. So may be out of date, depending on you mapping version.

On my 2019 model I can add locations on the fly, as I see them. Not sure if this is then just stored locally or shared via the Lexus server.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On a slightly different note, do you guys ever see incorrect speed signs on the display? My 2017 GS300h luxury (only had for a couple of weeks now) sometimes displays an 80 when on the motorway. And I noticed a 60 on a 50 A-road the other day.

Just wondering if I should update my sat nav system (not that I have a clue about how to go about that - I won't be paying full dealer price, that's for sure)

The later GS cars do have road sign recognition and they will interpret anything that looks like a speed limit sign, including those on the back of lorries. I think the highest figure I've seen is about 120, I assume it doesn't distinguish between mph and kmh. Unfortunately updating your Sat Nav won't help because it is based on what the camera around the rear view mirror picks up.

47 minutes ago, spacenase said:

The later GS cars do have road sign recognition and they will interpret anything that looks like a speed limit sign, including those on the back of lorries. I think the highest figure I've seen is about 120, I assume it doesn't distinguish between mph and kmh. Unfortunately updating your Sat Nav won't help because it is based on what the camera around the rear view mirror picks up.

I stand corrected on this one. I know my 2015  GS Luxury didn’t have road sign recognition although it had blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic assist and premium navigation. 

My current RX450h sometimes comes up with spurious speeds, I've seen 120 at times. My satnav doesn't show speed limits, fortunately my tomtom is there as a backup. 

41 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I stand corrected on this one. I know my 2015  GS Luxury didn’t have road sign recognition although it had blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic assist and premium navigation. 

My current RX450h sometimes comes up with spurious speeds, I've seen 120 at times. My satnav doesn't show speed limits, fortunately my tomtom is there as a backup. 

Hah, wonder if this will work on self-driving cars!

Will have to have some '2' and '200' speed limit signs made up to really irritate people! 😉 

• 3 months later...