Recommended Posts

Currently 4 out of a possible pool of approx 17 Mesa Red cars are currently available for sale 

Shame none have a sunroof 🤨

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Charliecloud said:

Don't rub it in 😀

Not sure how many of the 17 are still about, I know one red was written off a couple of years ago, pretty sure the rat said he could trace only 7 of them 🤷🏼‍♂️....good luck with your search 👍🏻🤞🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think very few original owners of any colour added a sun roof.  Or moon roof as Lexus call it. 

Whilst I would choose one, I would buy a car with one rather than without one if there we two to choose from, but do I ever use the sun roof in my daily driver? No. Do I notice my ISF doesn't have a sunroof? No.

Personal choice but a few months driving an ISF without a sunroof is more fun than looking for one with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I know we all want different things with our cars such as a sunroof but I will never buy another car with one. Here is my tale of woe regarding my experience.

I ran a VW Phaeton as a University Taxi and for my long distance business travels. It had a very nice sunroof that I did use occasionally. 

Sometime ago (last year) we had had some very heavy rain. Unbeknown to me the channels/water outlets got blocked up with fine debris. What happened was that this water just collected in the framework, I live on a hill so when I took the car out and braked at the bottom of the hill I experienced a heavy cold shower all over me and the central console which held a lot of important electrics getting soaked and fried. The car just died on me, I have a very amusing tale of selling it on e-bay after only being on for about 10 minutes to some Eastern European guys. 

I guess I should have checked the blocked outlets but lets be honest do many of us actually do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with others sentiment here, you are likely looking for a unicorn if you want a red one with a sunroof.

Even if one does turn up what if it is a bit of a dog?

Which such a rare car I would narrow it down to year (depending on price and how much lsd/suspension changes mean to you) and a couple of colours and start making offers as you want one in good connition above anything else.

You could only be so picky when buyin new imho

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Now I know we all want different things with our cars such as a sunroof but I will never buy another car with one. Here is my tale of woe regarding my experience.

I ran a VW Phaeton as a University Taxi and for my long distance business travels. It had a very nice sunroof that I did use occasionally. 

Sometime ago (last year) we had had some very heavy rain. Unbeknown to me the channels/water outlets got blocked up with fine debris. What happened was that this water just collected in the framework, I live on a hill so when I took the car out and braked at the bottom of the hill I experienced a heavy cold shower all over me and the central console which held a lot of important electrics getting soaked and fried. The car just died on me, I have a very amusing tale of selling it on e-bay after only being on for about 10 minutes to some Eastern European guys. 

I guess I should have checked the blocked outlets but lets be honest do many of us actually do this?

Out of interest, did it take you long to work out the source of the downpour? 
if it was me, the first thing that would come across to me was a prank of some sort lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C.B said:

I agree with others sentiment here, you are likely looking for a unicorn if you want a red one with a sunroof.

Even if one does turn up what if it is a bit of a dog?

Which such a rare car I would narrow it down to year (depending on price and how much lsd/suspension changes mean to you) and a couple of colours and start making offers as you want one in good connition above anything else.

You could only be so picky when buyin new imho

I obviously have that unicorn 😂😂......64k and owned it for last 5yrs.......wasn’t actually looking for a car of any kind when I came across mine on a weekend away with the wife. Tbh I’d wait for the car u want (not sure how many red ones had sunroofs) it definitely wasn’t something I was bothered by either, wasn’t a deal maker at all, for me the only colour I was interested in was red, has always been my favourite colour and had it not been red I Probably wouldn’t have even given it a second look. I’m not dissing anyone’s colour in any way just pointing out my views, the colour is the most you see and there are certain colours I wouldn’t give a second thought to BUT those colours are the colours the owner obviously likes........for me if it’s an F u want, put them in colour order and keep looking, buying a colour u don’t like/least favourite won’t make u like the car anymore, probably completely the opposite.

good luck looking for your unicorn BUT they do exist (possibly just one) 😉.......then u will be looking for eternity 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cactus said:

Out of interest, did it take you long to work out the source of the downpour? 
if it was me, the first thing that would come across to me was a prank of some sort lol.

I had no idea, the car had been stood unused during the rain, of course these cars are built like a tank so no noise or indication of the large volume of water held within the sunroof frame was obvious but braking at the end of my road just brought it all forward. To make matters worse VW decided to situate the ECU under the passenger carpet so not only did the central tunnel electrics go it damaged the ECU too.

My fault, so I would advise anyone with a sunroof to properly rod them through with a thin wire with a bit of protection on the end otherwise you could damage the pipework.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mesa red does look nice and I was sorry it was not available for the 3rd Gen RX (although reintroduced - or very similar red on 4th Gen) Interested to learn how well red stands up to ageing on Lexus cars as red compares badly for fading on many other brands of car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

The Mesa red does look nice and I was sorry it was not available for the 3rd Gen RX (although reintroduced - or very similar red on 4th Gen) Interested to learn how well red stands up to ageing on Lexus cars as red compares badly for fading on many other brands of car.

The red as the white is pearlescent, it’s a three stage paint process with a silver fleck within the paint, at worst it’ll shed lacquer like other metallic paints but it won’t fade like a solid red paint will......I think the red in the brochure didn’t do the car or finish justice, the colour in the flesh is something else, I know I’m bias BUT despite the colour in the flesh it was and is my favourite colour, not just Lexus but on other car manufacturers too. Lexus Woodford have only seen one red one and that was mine on a recall earlier this year. 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the info.  Mesa Red becomes my first choice for next Lexus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one for sale on the Lexus pre-approved website at Lexus Sidcup. No pictures yet and not sure about sunroof. Is that included in your 4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Thank you for the info.  Mesa Red becomes my first choice for next Lexus.

This is about as good as it get in photography terms, the sun, the angles have to be just right and even then it’s extremely hard to capture the finish.

F0B25710-BED6-4BB4-B5E7-BA69BC448B3A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dave400SE said:

There's one for sale on the Lexus pre-approved website at Lexus Sidcup. No pictures yet and not sure about sunroof. Is that included in your 4?

Indeed it is. It's the car that was sold by BCA at the end of November.  SK10 ZXU and was in a sorry state. Interesting that a main dealer now has it. I am planing on viewing it, as it's only 30mins up the road from where I live. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good representation of how nice Mesa Red looks in the metal. It's a great colour like Womble say's.  You do need to see it, to really appreciate how nice it looks when clean and polished 

IMG_2390.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charliecloud said:

Indeed it is. It's the car that was sold by BCA at the end of November.  SK10 ZXU and was in a sorry state. Interesting that a main dealer now has it. I am planing on viewing it, as it's only 30mins up the road from where I live. 

I would imagine ANY issues will have been dealt with, I’m sure the price will reflect that too.......the fact that the Japanese reckon in the next 5yrs only 50 UK ISF’s will be worthy of a price rise 🤔......mileage and owners will be a factor......if the mileage is right and owners too then this would be worthy of an investment from a dealers prospective. Good luck with the view n keep us informed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charliecloud said:

This is a good representation of how nice Mesa Red looks in the metal. It's a great colour like Womble say's.  You do need to see it, to really appreciate how nice it looks when clean and polished 

IMG_2390.jpeg

This is after 300 miles on a motorway in this weather.......but does make u appreciate cleaning it! 😂😂

1EB80745-4F6A-46B4-81CE-E75A4802593D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been and had a look at the Sidcup car. It is indeed SK10 ZXU from the BCA sale

Booked an appointment and was promised a test drive. Sadly that didn't happen as the car had a total flat nsf tyre.

Not a well cared for car and needs some paint and interior work to bring it back. The rear seat has massive cuts in it.

Lexus Sidcup say they will sort it, but I suspect they want a sale first. 

No sunroof 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of an interior specialist (near me) who will/can panel match the leather, the paint work can be done too, again by someone who can paint stage pearlescent paint, again I know of someone.......engine, gearbox and the drive are the important factors, If the car is cheap enough than anything is possible. 👍🏻.......I don’t understand why they would wait for a sale before carrying out the work, makes no sense to me as most will want to see the work prior to purchase and most wouldn’t entertain repairs of this magnitude as they will always remember the first time they saw it 🤔.......I personally wouldn’t dismiss and would prefer to source the repairs myself obviously subject to purchase price. 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it's been withdrawn or been sold as it's now not showing on the Lexus approved used car listing or on the dealers website 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.