Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I have a very strange issue with my airbag light on my 2008 is250, it started to come on and off a little while ago, then I noticed that after I filled the car up with petrol the light would go out for a while, then come on again at around the half a tank mark. So I decided to see if it would go out if I just opened and closed the petrol cap without putting any petrol in the car, and sure enough the light went out. I can only assume it is some sort of pressure issue. I have no idea really, has anyone else had this problem? Any help, advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance, and A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

I agree this is a strange fault. I think the best course of action would be to get the ECU's checked for fault codes either existing or pending as this should give some guidance as to where the problem lies.

John.

Sometimes human nature likes to associate things together for simplicity or piece of mind, the two occurrences you are linking may be totally unconnected and this may impair your fault finding logic, especially as the two system you are mentioning are as similarly connected as the fog lights and the windscreen wipers!

So as above, the OBD codes need to be viewed and as you say it was an 'Airbag' fault then it should be stored in the memory even if light is no longer showing.

If you do read codes and it comes back as B1861 then there was this recall and TSB in the us which narrowed the problem down to the passenger knee airbag connector playing up! 

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/914303-intermittent-airbag-light.html#&gid=1&pid=1

• 2 months later...

Finally got my faulty air bag light sorted out, one of the wires to the knee airbag was shorting out causing the light to come on and off, got that sorted and my screen has now gone blank, see my new post! 

9 hours ago, Texas said:

Glad you got it sorted and I hope that post of mine helped!

Hi Texas, yes, thank you, I mentioned your comment to the auto electrician, and he tracked it to the drivers side knee bag, hopefully no more annoying light coming on. Thanks again 

‘Drivers side’ you say, well that will make sense as that TSB was for the US market and their ‘Passenger side’ is of course our ‘Drivers Side’ 😀