Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying my first lexus IS 300

Ehi

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy my first ever lexus after driving one over the weekend and was completely blown away.

I went to a local dealer, who told me its a family franchise and would be totally separate and independent of all other dealers in the UK. 

I am looking to finance or bank loan either a 2016 or 2017 IS 300 or 250 petrol/Hybrid (Which is outside warranty), the sales person, gave me a comprehensive quote, which he said was better than what a bank could offer me, as at any point in time of my finance if the car developed a fault, I could always opt out and return the car or opt out of the finance

I noticed the lexus dealers are far more expensive than what I see on autotraders and other car dealers within the UK

My major concern is reliability as all cars at one point do break down and I commute 2hours (roundtrip) to work everyday and 5hours roundtrip to see my daughter 3 times a month

Please advise

1. What do I look out for ? 

2. Is it better to go for the more expensive dealer option (who offers me 12months) rather than autotrader (offering 3 months)

3. or is there a way to get an extended warranty ? (based on 2 above)

4. Is there anything I might be missing ?

many thanks

E

Firstly is the dealer warranty a Lexus warranty. That is what you need, it is first class and can be extended for a reasonable cost. Check it out 

Bank loans can be really cheap at the moment, so check that out. 

IS300h are extremely reliable. Water pump weeping is a common Toyota issue. 

I had one changed on my GS300h under Warranty, but was told otherwise it is a £300 job. 

I have owned both IS300h and GS300h and with the miles you are doing I would try both. If anything my 2015 GS300h was more economical than my 2014 IS300h F sport. 

Both are good reliable cars and unlikely to give problems even at starship mileage. 

Check the bodywork carefully. Lexus approved cars should be tip top, but the dealers try and get away with slapdash preparation, out of 4 cars purchased in 3 years from 2 different Maindealers 3 of them have required cosmetic body repairs. 

Don't forget 31st December is end of the quarter and that is the time to play hardball for a great deal. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2019 at 12:05 PM, Ehi said:

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy my first ever lexus after driving one over the weekend and was completely blown away.

I went to a local dealer, who told me its a family franchise and would be totally separate and independent of all other dealers in the UK. 

I am looking to finance or bank loan either a 2016 or 2017 IS 300 or 250 petrol/Hybrid (Which is outside warranty), the sales person, gave me a comprehensive quote, which he said was better than what a bank could offer me, as at any point in time of my finance if the car developed a fault, I could always opt out and return the car or opt out of the finance

I noticed the lexus dealers are far more expensive than what I see on autotraders and other car dealers within the UK

My major concern is reliability as all cars at one point do break down and I commute 2hours (roundtrip) to work everyday and 5hours roundtrip to see my daughter 3 times a month

Please advise

1. What do I look out for ? 

2. Is it better to go for the more expensive dealer option (who offers me 12months) rather than autotrader (offering 3 months)

3. or is there a way to get an extended warranty ? (based on 2 above)

4. Is there anything I might be missing ?

many thanks

E

Hi There,

Firstly, I would personally recommend the IS300h, my parents drive this model and they get 50mpg+ mostly (dips to 48/49 with heated seats on etc)

My mother drives from Glasgow to Edinburgh (& back everyday) and this is about 100 miles a day, car is 2014 Premier model and it has never had a single issue. It has a service every 10,000 miles and only gets the brake pads or wheel alignment for.

We got our cars from Lexus Glasgow and they are fantastic through and through! Service from them is A+ and Lydia there is most helpful.

If you are buying non pre approved then make sure to get the hybrid Battery checked. 

With regards to warranty my family has never taken out a warranty on any of the past 3 Lexus cars they have bought so I would say you should be safe, but go for dealer for piece of mind if you want?

I have some video's on several Lexus cars if you want a more detailed look at them?

I hope I helped?

Feel free to ask any questions?

Thomas x

PS Merry Christmas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot for your advise, quite helpful

Thomas I love your videos. Very impressive. I visited your youtube page and noticed you have done a number of luxury car reviews

Whats your comparisions on lexus vs the luxury segments ??? please share

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links