Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You did dis-connect at least one Battery terminal for the Altenator change?

I have just done some googling and it seems as though it is possible to dis-connect/dis-lodge the plug for the starter motor when handling the harness that attaches to the alternator! I have never had to get involved with this so don't know first hand and I'm not sure how this would account for you other electrical niggles ( earthing perhaps) but may account for the non-start problem!

I'm still reading up on this.....

53 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

All fuses been checked, can not see any visible  damage do not recall shorting out. Code reader will not communicate with the car so looks very bleak.

Fuses can look alright when they really aren't. Pulling each one and using a multimeter to check for continuity across the fuse is the only way to be sure.

I've read that their are two variants of alternator for the IS250 and that they both look identical but are not intercompatible. Apparently the only way to know you have the correct alternator is to compare old part number with new. Did you check you old alternator part number?

Yes alternator is correct one. Car is now running i got an auto technician, come out sunday. Main fuse board near Battery had gone. He made a temp repair but now Vsr and tranction

is on. But at least i can use the car now. Everything works lights air con heated seats radio etc.

You did dis-connect at least one Battery terminal for the Alternator change?”

So I reckon there was a Major short at some point and the Main fusible link done it’s job but still leaves (somehow!) important circuits functioning ie external lights. Must have been a split second live to earth event during the alt change and this goes to show the importance of disconnecting the Battery earth prior to any electrical circuit disturbance. The connection to the alt is permanently connected to positive of the Battery even with ign off!

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of info on YouToob! Looks quite doable at home ie you do not have to disturb AC system and contrarily to some do not have to disturb cooling system either, looks like biggest pita part is the rear bracket fixing. Oh and Do Not forget to dis-connect Battery!

paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links