Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low engine oil pressure

I recently changed oil and oil filter for my rx400h. 48hrs later in the morning when I start the car, I see the low engine oil pressure warning sign. I have checked the oil level and it's very okey. The warning light stays for a few seconds and goes off. Solution need 

David M

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Did you use a genuine Lexus oil filter?

In the olden days the good ones had a non return valve built in to prevent oil leaving the filter when the engine was switched off thus avoiding low oil pressure on start up. 

Excellent description of non return valve, thanks for clearing that up after 40 odd years......Happy Xmas to everyone

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 5:57 AM, Davida said:

I recently changed oil and oil filter for my rx400h. 48hrs later in the morning when I start the car, I see the low engine oil pressure warning sign. I have checked the oil level and it's very okey. The warning light stays for a few seconds and goes off. Solution need 

David M

What grade of oil did you use for the oil change? The specification for your year of vehicle is probably 5W30, but at this time of year 0W30 is probably a better choice being less viscose when cold allows for quicker circulation. In my 2007 GS450H I use 0W20 oil, and at the next change I am going to try 0W16 as this is supposed to give better ware protection and improved fuel consumption figures.

John.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, Silversalmon said:

Excellent description of non return valve, thanks for clearing that up after 40 odd years

The veins in your legs have non-return valves in to stop gravity pooling the blood in your feet. Each beat of the heart (and the calf muscles as you walk) moves blood further up the veins on its return to the heart and the non-return valves stop it dropping back down.

On 12/25/2019 at 5:57 AM, Davida said:

David M

Any update on progress?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 3:57 PM, Britprius said:

What grade of oil did you use for the oil change? The specification for your year of vehicle is probably 5W30, but at this time of year 0W30 is probably a better choice being less viscose when cold allows for quicker circulation. In my 2007 GS450H I use 0W20 oil, and at the next change I am going to try 0W16 as this is supposed to give better ware protection and improved fuel consumption figures.

John.

I used 5w30. Am in Nigeria and we do not experience same cold temperatures as you do. Sorry I have been away on duty.

Does the engine make a rattling noise for one or two seconds when first started from cold? This is quite common on Lexus/Toyota engines, and is caused by the oil in the cam timing devises draining back to the sump. This in turn leads to low oil pressure while the system refills. Although not ideal in general it does not cause any other problems the cure being to fit new cam gears "a big job".

John.