Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 - Rumbling sound when turning left at 70mph and above??

Hello

Mine is a 2003 LS430 with 190k on the clock. 

So when I was returning home from long motorway trip, suddenly the car starts making a rumbling sound every time I turn right at around 70mph and above. But it's great in a straight line and when turning left. 

Around 4 months ago I had both the front brakes and disks replaced and the front left (or was it the right) wheel bearing replaced. 

In addition, the steering wheel shakes/vibrates when I brake at 70+mph.

What do members think is wrong with it? 

Many thanks 

15 hours ago, lex - eleven said:

I think if the noise is when you turn right it's your left hand bearing. My older 430 did this when turning left and was fine when I replaced the right hand one

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Perhaps it is a bearing. But how likely is it that after replacing one side the other places up a month or two later. 

Also doesn't a bearing noise occur even when driving straight. Mine only does it when turning. 

Thanks 

Well I suppose I was lucky that I only had to replace one side. It's probably one of those jobs where it's advisable to do both sides but I figured " if it ain't broke don't fix it" I could only hear my bearing when turning, not in a straight line.

1 hour ago, Abid221 said:

Perhaps it is a bearing. But how likely is it that after replacing one side the other places up a month or two later. 

Also doesn't a bearing noise occur even when driving straight. Mine only does it when turning. 

Thanks 

One of the main telltale signs of a bearing on its way out is a rumble on turning, and the LS430 is prone to it after so many miles.  We were discussing this a few weeks ago.  The bearings are very expensive from a main dealer, but there are loads on eBay for a ridiculous £70 a pair new, I'd certainly risk it.

34 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

One of the main telltale signs of a bearing on its way out is a rumble on turning, and the LS430 is prone to it after so many miles.  We were discussing this a few weeks ago.  The bearings are very expensive from a main dealer, but there are loads on eBay for a ridiculous £70 a pair new, I'd certainly risk it.

Many thanks for that. 

I'll be looking in to this. 

1 hour ago, lex - eleven said:

I bought my bearing from a firm called sjrautoparts on eBay in September 2017. The price then was £54.89. You can probably find others on there even cheaper. Easy enough to fit as well.

I've managed to source an original one off a low mile LS for £30 delivered. I think that's a good price. 

In early May I bought two of these from eBay, German made, and they solved my problems with a car that had been stored for 5 years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-For-Lexus-LS430-LS-430-2000-2006-Front-New-Hub-Wheel-Bearing-With-ABS-Sensor/282998928611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Open this link in a new window.

Before buying new bearings though just check your wheel nuts are tight. I had a similar problem that was caused by the nuts not being tightened correctly. 

John N

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John N said:

In early May I bought two of these from Ebay, German made, and they solved my problems with a car that had been stored for 5 years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-For-Lexus-LS430-LS-430-2000-2006-Front-New-Hub-Wheel-Bearing-With-ABS-Sensor/282998928611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Open this link in a new window.

Before buying new bearings though just check your wheel nuts are tight. I had a similar problem that was caused by the nuts not being tightened correctly. 

John N

That's fantastic. Many many thanks for this. 

So the rumble might be the bearing but guys any idea as to why the steering wheel shakes when I brake at around 70mph+

Also I've got uneven wear on the drivers side tyre. Might be a clue to something I have no idea of. 

As I've changed my disks and pads recently, somebody told me that it might be lower ball joints or the inner steering rack rod ends. 

Any ideas? 

44 minutes ago, Abid221 said:

So do you recon the steering wheel shakes due to bad tracking? 

I think most people that have owned an LS400 or 430 have experienced the steering wheel shaking when braking at some point.  Several things can cause it.  Possibly the most common is a warped/worn disc.  If you had cheap ones fitted they can warp very quickly.  Rust between the back of the disc and hub can also cause it, as can a worn/cracked rubber bush or other steering/suspension part.  I'd certainly be checking the brake discs as my first job. You'd be surprised at how many mechanics replace the discs without cleaning the hub surface with a wire brush.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links