Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice sought - break, repair, sell?

Rob M

Hi All,

I was run into by someone, and their insurance has initially paid out to me, and I currently still have my car. The next step is for them to arrange to pay for the salvage, and then take my car away.

The state of it is it was swiped across the front right corner, and slightly hit on the mirror. No air bags went off, and it looks like cosmetic damage to me. The car drives 100% as before, no issues at all aside from a lightly grazed corner.

I'm in two minds about this, as the salvage value seems very low. I realise the car is a Cat D (or whatever the new system is these days). On the one hand, I'm enjoying driving an LS, which if I was offered one at the salvage price quoted, I'd take hands down, as wafting around in a cheap LS seems like a bargain.

But on the other hand, I'm still paying insurance at the previous value (it will have gone down in value now), and still getting stung by DVLA every month. Alongside this, my comprehensive insurance included business travel.

This might be a good time to move onto a different car; I could just take the salvage offered (please, don't ask for hard figures, as this isn't some camouflaged for sale ad), but am genuinely surprised how low it is. I don't mind breaking it, as I have plenty of space at home, but have never broken a car, and could do with some advice about how best to go down this path, what the considerations might be, etc. I guess my view is if I sold a few bits off it and then it became a paperweight, what would it cost to then ship off the shell? I might not even break even, in which case, it might be better to just let the salvage guys take it.

Any general advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

If the mileage is reasonable and if you know the car well and you've looked after it then get it repaired if it's cosmetic damage.  You can sometimes end up with a few quid in your pocket!  Where in Surrey are you?

I am going through this exercise at the moment. If my car is written off I will buy it back "keep the salvage". I can repair the car for a fraction of the salvage value, and although it will have a category "N" status this will have little impact on it's value given I can show pictures of the damage, and repair if I were to sell the car. I also know the car well, and all the work I have put into it.

As far as parting the car out is concerned this could be profitable in the long term, but you have to ask yourself how many diminishing number Is430's are there still on the roads that will need your parts being the reliable vehicles that they are. Wheels, and tyres may go quickly as may the front seats if in good order, but engine transmission, lights, and body panels may hang around for years.

John.

25 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I am going through this exercise at the moment. If my car is written off I will buy it back "keep the salvage". I can repair the car for a fraction of the salvage value, and although it will have a category "N" status this will have little impact on it's value given I can show pictures of the damage, and repair if I were to sell the car. I also know the car well, and all the work I have put into it.

As far as parting the car out is concerned this could be profitable in the long term, but you have to ask yourself how many diminishing number Is430's are there still on the roads that will need your parts being the reliable vehicles that they are. Wheels, and tyres may go quickly as may the front seats if in good order, but engine transmission, lights, and body panels may hang around for years.

John.

And it really wouldn't put me off buying a car if it was "categorised" as long as I had decent info regarding the original damage.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links