Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 300 navigation

Hi all

Having issues with my sat nav, I have removed all the cuby holes in the boot and found the Dvd player it's getting warm and sounds like something is happening but I'm get the "insert dvd or your dvd is dirty" I can't even get the dvd out now... 

I have removed it to see if it is rusty and so on and now I can't get any mapps on the screen on the dash (why did I remove it) 

My question is can you get a second hand player or can I get a newer one? Are they interchangeable?

Mine is rx300 - 53plate withe the Em01a player 13020 version. There seem to be lots of versions with the same sockets/locations.. 

Cheers for any help

Dan

Why bother?

The Lexus nav is clunky, counter-intuitive, slow, and because it's DVD-based you can't add your own POIs. Much better to use Waze or Google Maps on your phone, or even a stand-alone nav like a TomTom or Garmin.

Well went out in the beast today and now the sat nav works... But decided to stop working on the way home, my only guess is that It thinks I should remember my way.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Houghy said:

Well went out in the beast today and now the sat nav works... But decided to stop working on the way home, my only guess is that It thinks I should remember my way.... 

Could it be the unit needs a 'clean' or a newer DVD?

Sounds just like what was happening in my '02 GS when the unit was failing. I assume the units are the same or very similar? My nav wasn't working when I bought it off Ron but cleaning the disc seemed to help. In the end I think it was the ejecting and re-inserting of the disc that did more. Then it would occasionally work, freeze, not recognise the disc etc. I didn't use a lens cleaner but there's no harm in trying, they're only a few quid. Recently had a go with one on the IS CD player.

In the end I picked a unit up from eBay advertised as spares or repair because the seller didn't know if it worked. It did :smile:

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 10:39 AM, PCM said:

Has anyone here tried cleaning the boot SatNav DVD?  

My SatNav was not working well (freezing etc) when I got my RX300 last month. I tried removing the DVD, it looked fine, put it back in and the SatNav stopped working altogether with 'unable to read disc' message.

I'd read on other forums that the drive motor can go on the Nav unit. So I removed the unit and opened it up hoping a simple clean of dust might cure, but maybe check the motor... but it looked pristine, despite having historical water ingress sloshing around in the boot, more than that, there was no way I had the expertise to strip this down to the drive motor which I could not even see.. so I put it back together, put it back in the car and hooked it up... still not working, took it out again and had it stored in the dry warm house for a week while I considered my options, looking at used units on eBay etc.

But I knew that 'Herbie' was spot on...as in, why bother with it at all. I asked myself... if it were working... would I still use my stand alone Garmin anyway... the answer was of course yes. So I thought, to hell with it, but I might as well re-install the Nav unit just in case... so put it back, hooked it up, gave the map DVD a good wipe with a lens cloth, popped it in, and hey presto.... it's been working fine ever since... how long for I know not, nor care anymore.

• Like 2