Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone ever replaced a Serpentine Belt Tensioner?

As usual, plenty available from Rockauto, various makes at various prices. They do a Gates one for £29.  They deliver very quickly!  Not much available here sadly, although worth contacting Lexus Spares Direct?

Thanks Alan and Phil......I followed your trail and bought one at rockauto 5 days delivery so I am told, not that its an emergency.

Tbh It is nice to have something to fix on the car I have been.....well worried it was saving up a big job for me, it is strange not having to do much work on a car except clean it. 

46 minutes ago, skyway said:

Thanks Alan and Phil......I followed your trail and bought one at rockauto 5 days delivery so I am told, not that its an emergency.

Tbh It is nice to have something to fix on the car I have been.....well worried it was saving up a big job for me, it is strange not having to do much work on a car except clean it. 

Do you know what the final cost will be?  When I bought my suspension I chose FedEx and paid the VAT up front. Apparently if it's post, ie Parcelforce, they usually slap another charge on although it shouldn't be much for a cheap part.

If I had a press I might of done that... i always think about buying one... but i always seem to convince myself that that is the last bearing I will need to do so no point

I think if had pressed one before I would be more confident doing so.... need that cherry burst

41 minutes ago, skyway said:

If I had a press I might of done that... i always think about buying one... but i always seem to convince myself that that is the last bearing I will need to do so no point

I think if had pressed one before I would be more confident doing so.... need that cherry burst

You don’t need a press just a couple of pieces of wood to support the pulley and a socket and hammer, the bearing comes out and goes back very easily.

• Like 2

Yes exchange just the bearing should be fine. But remember that the central bolt is lefthand thread. Hence it comes  out turned the not normal way. Clockwise.......
I did not know and took it as a challenge to get the seemingly "seized" bolt out.

It came out with the aluminium thread stripped away . Really embarassing.  
Bought a new one. But beware there too. 

The one I got for my 1995 needed some filing to fit. Had an extra "lip" compared to the old and did not fit
I did not investigate that further when I got it working well with a file.  

If you want to be sure you are not stressing the bearing with blows when inserting it into the pulley place the bearing into the freezer overnight and use a heatgun on the pulley for a few minutes at mid setting ,the bearing will then slip in with a slight tapping from a wooden mallet.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 1:23 PM, ambermarine said:

If you want to be sure you are not stressing the bearing with blows when inserting it into the pulley place the bearing into the freezer overnight and use a heatgun on the pulley for a few minutes at mid setting ,the bearing will then slip in with a slight tapping from a wooden mallet.

Very good advice Phil, if you can’t get the bearing fully in use a suitable sized socket as a drift but make sure it only contacts the outer bearing case.

The old carpenter instructing his apprentice joke “When I nod my head hit it”

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links