Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Getting my first ISF this week, anything I should insist on from the dealer?

Hi, I'm getting my first ever Lexus this week. My brother has a 2014 IS300H and he is delighted with it. I'm getting a 2008 ISF with 46,000 miles on the clock from a Lexus dealer in Dublin. It's been owned by the elderly sister of the dealer since new so has always been serviced there. I am paying a good price for it so I expect it to be as perfect as one can be. I haven't bought a car from a dealer in years so I am wondering what to expect. Is there anything I should make sure they do for me or things that should be sorted that they might neglect if I don't say anything? I'm just wary of the fact that it's a 2008 car and they might take shortcuts to get it off the forecourt.

Basically, how do I ensure that I get a tip top car from them and get all the service that would be expected from a car bought from a Lexus dealer?

Thanks.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

5d91672946f993f8ddd2bc28d67f19ee.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. It comes with a 6 month warranty. Seems to be the same as offered on a similarly aged RX. Are there any spots prone to rust or is it just to check the bodywork for damage?

Make sure its had the water pump done and see if they will update the satnav maps, but if they dont I got a DVD online for £30 so dont pay their prices!

Enjoy the new motor, 18 months into ownership and i adore it!

• Like 1

Hi. You would hope that being owned by the dealers family it's well looked after but as they say the onus is you as the buyer. The only rust I have ever seen on an ISF is on the inner edge of the rear wheel arch where the inner and outer wings are welded together. Oh and check the rear brake lines where they go after the flexi from the brake caliper. It goes from there all the way to the front bulkhead in one go and is expensive to replace. Any sign of corrosion get them to replace at their cost as it's a 4 figure bill. (Had to have mine done and my ISF is 2009).

But most of all enjoy ride. It's awesome.

• Like 1

I have not seen a single ISF that has had rust at any age, so really just check for cosmetics, they really are pretty bullit proof so not a lot to check, water pump as mentioned but this should have been done, if they are willing to put it up on a ramp it would be worth checking the brake lines (the hard lines that run the length of the car) these can suffer with corrosion and are pretty costly to replace, check for any knocking or whining through the steering, there are starting to be a few issues on high millage cars with the steering racks, this hopefully should mot apply to such a low milage car.

she looks a beaut btw!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irish ISF said:

It's been owned by the elderly sister of the dealer since new so has always been serviced there.

Check its actually been serviced as Lexus dealers quite often tell porkies when it comes to servicing.  In other words ask to look at the service records physically with your own eyes.

As for the elderly sister.....haha...if they're so up front with that I'm sure they wouldn't mind disclosing her details so you can discuss her diligent ownership..:whistling:

My last 'look' at an F involved a previous owner who (according to Lexus)  so loved and cherished the car he couldn't be arsed with servicing the damned thing. 

Best of luck

• Like 2

From the photo you've uploaded, I would be asking them to swap the front wheels round as the alloys are corner specific and they look to be on the incorrect sides. Of course ensure they also consider the tyres in case they're directional.

Other than that, can't add anything else that hasn't already been covered!

• Like 2

Check its actually been serviced as Lexus dealers quite often tell porkies when it comes to servicing.  In other words ask to look at the service records physically with your own eyes.
As for the elderly sister.....haha...if they're so up front with that I'm sure they wouldn't mind disclosing her details so you can discuss her diligent ownership..:whistling:
My last 'look' at an F involved a previous owner who (according to Lexus)  so loved and cherished the car he couldn't be arsed with servicing the damned thing. 

Best of luck

I've seen the records already. They are all there for every year the car has been owned. The car has only had one previous owner. It wasn't just the sales man I was dealing with who told me it was the sister who owned it, but also one of the junior salesmen who was sent out with me on the test drive. He seemed like a total car nut having owned Supras, RX8s and the like. We had a good chat, he didn't seem like a liar. So unless he was briefed on quite an elaborate lie them I'm willing to take them at their word.

Now obviously they could be faked, but if I was a Lexus dealer and the only owner of a car like that for 11 years then I'm pretty sure I'd take advantage of the free servicing and look after it.

Make sure its had the water pump done and see if they will update the satnav maps, but if they dont I got a DVD online for £30 so dont pay their prices!
Enjoy the new motor, 18 months into ownership and i adore it!
Will do. How often does the water pump need to be done on them?

10 hours ago, Irish ISF said:

I've seen the records already. They are all there for every year the car has been owned. The car has only had one previous owner. It wasn't just the sales man I was dealing with who told me it was the sister who owned it, but also one of the junior salesmen who was sent out with me on the test drive. He seemed like a total car nut having owned Supras, RX8s and the like. We had a good chat, he didn't seem like a liar. So unless he was briefed on quite an elaborate lie them I'm willing to take them at their word.

Now obviously they could be faked, but if I was a Lexus dealer and the only owner of a car like that for 11 years then I'm pretty sure I'd take advantage of the free servicing and look after it.

Truth or not, I have heard all the stories under the sun! I make the decision on purchasing a car based upon paperwork and condition, but I personally have never trusted a

dealer and would certainly not let words influence my decision on purchasing a vehicle!

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

I always assumed that you would get at least a 12 month warranty with all cars sold by Lexus Main dealers? 

Yes, If the vehicle is Lexus 'Approved'.

Dealers can retail 'non Lexus approved' - usually if a vehicle does not qualify for warranty i.e age or mileage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

I always assumed that you would get at least a 12 month warranty with all cars sold by Lexus Main dealers? 

Indeed.

Is it a Lexus Dealer, or a Dealer to deals on Lexus?

There is a difference ...

10 hours ago, Irish ISF said:

Will do. How often does the water pump need to be done on them?

There was a water pump problem with a few 08 cars, mostly in the US. Not all cars were affected and if it's not failed ( leaked ) by now I would guess it's fine. If the car has been main dealer maintained, they should have all the records of work done. 

Indeed.
Is it a Lexus Dealer, or a Dealer to deals on Lexus?
There is a difference ...
It is a Lexus main dealer. The car is 12 years old on January 1st so that's why I assume it's not "Lexus approved".

• Like 1

Yes, If the vehicle is Lexus 'Approved'.
Dealers can retail 'non Lexus approved' - usually if a vehicle does not qualify for warranty i.e age or mileage.
Indeed. I don't trust car salesmen either but it does seem like as genuine a car as I am likely to find.

• Like 1

Had my 2008 isf for 3 and a half years, do all my own work to it, roll it up car ramps every couple of months to clean underneath and only rust I've come across is surface rust to the fuel tank strap, rear subframe just to the edges, diff casing, bolt heads, some small steel brackets for wiring hiding under bumpers. There is no rust anywhere on the body, floor or arches.

Now at 127600 miles.

The water pump problem is similar to the valley plate problem, Lexus sealant that they used was crap or wrong type. Steering issue, steering would feel locked in position when a turn was executed but unlocked with normal turning force applied with your arms. If that makes sense. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, ollie isf said:

From the photo you've uploaded, I would be asking them to swap the front wheels round as the alloys are corner specific and they look to be on the incorrect sides. Of course ensure they also consider the tyres in case they're directional.

Other than that, can't add anything else that hasn't already been covered!

Good spot on the wheels. It's not a great photo but I think your right.

When I had my wheels refurbed they they put the fronts back on the wrong corner. The look on the guys face when I pointed out he need to swap the tyres and wheels around. 🤣

Good spot on the wheels. It's not a great photo but I think your right.
When I had my wheels refurbed they they put the fronts back on the wrong corner. The look on the guys face when I pointed out he need to swap the tyres and wheels around. [emoji1787]
Good spot indeed. I will be saying it to them. They actually got the wheels refurbished on the car a few weeks back so obviously he did the same thing.

Insist on 12 month warranty.....age is irrelevant especially considering the car’s history......check for ticking on start up especially from cold, ISF’s (some) had problems with manifolds cracking, bought mine like it and fell for the “they all sound like that on start up”.....they don’t!....mine is having GSF manifolds fitted next Wednesday,.....as for dealer relation......I bought a Subaru Outback for the wife and was dealer principal wife’s car, had to have head gasket replaced at a cost of over £800 and Subaru wanted nearly £2k to do, I’m the worst person where main dealers are concerned, don’t trust them one iota tbh........make sure the 60k service has been done INCLUDING plugs, labour cost is huge on these as back 2 are hard to access......I’m pretty sure Lexus are 12month warranty MINIMUM or they are not permitted to sell off their forecourt. Good luck you will enjoy her immensely 

• Like 2

Collected it today. What a machine! It's quite intimidating. Didn't help that I mashed the throttle merging on to the motorway as I left the garage and got the tail sliding in traffic. Never felt that happen in a straight line at 60mph before! That scared and quietened me for a while...[emoji1751] Car seems really tight. No rattles and the handling seems spot on. The power is immense!

Re: 12 month warranty. I called another Lexus dealer who had a 2008 rx450h on the forecourt. I asked him how long the warranty was and he said only 6 months also. I probably should have insisted on it anyway though but I didn't so hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the arse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish ISF said:

Collected it today. What a machine! It's quite intimidating. Didn't help that I mashed the throttle merging on to the motorway as I left the garage and got the tail sliding in traffic. Never felt that happen in a straight line at 60mph before! That scared and quietened me for a while...emoji1751.png Car seems really tight. No rattles and the handling seems spot on. The power is immense!

Re: 12 month warranty. I called another Lexus dealer who had a 2008 rx450h on the forecourt. I asked him how long the warranty was and he said only 6 months also. I probably should have insisted on it anyway though but I didn't so hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the arse.

I’m sure the car will be nothing short of excellent, I didn’t extend my warranty and 5 years on it’s only been servicing costs, I was more angry that they sold it to me with the cracked manifold BUT have since learnt that they are all independent franchise and no longer “Lexus”......Lexus would have insisted the manifolds replaced prior to sale hence the dealer saying “they all sound like that”.......when they could of said “we think the manifolds are cracked, bring it back in two months for a warranty claim”.........other than that the car has been 100% faultless and is still a pleasure to drive, take it easy until you’ve a clear road and definitely stay out of manual and sport mode together as this will really bite u in the arse 😉.......enjoy it and don’t abuse her and she will give u plenty of thrills in return, you’ve purchased an investment if u look after her.

all the best and keep it straight 😉😂😂

• Like 2