Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why can't we have?

Stompe

the enform app has been in America for many years now ,there are normally

a set of buttons in the roof lining aswell i think 1 button is an sos location function

and another is often programmed for a garage door / gates opener

3 hours ago, Yorky Pud said:

I've had these kind of apps for other manufactures of vehicles I've owned and find them a bit pointless. Apple carplay and Android auto are the only things I want.

It depends on what the app is capable of and how reliable it is. 

The app on my nissan Leaf was hopelessly unreliable and basically stopped working completely about 6 months before I got rid of the car. When it did work it had some useful features (turn heating on, check charge level, start/stop charging). 

The app for the Tesla is outstanding - control heater and heated seats, vent windows, close windows, unlock/lock, open frunk, trunk, charge port, etc. Shows the car's location (down to the specific parking spot), gives notifications when charging stopped or complete (to avoid being charged idle fees), etc, etc. Also allows repairs to be booked in through the app. 

Carplay and Android auto are merely car manufacturers waving a white flag - admitting that they can't do infotainment for $&i£ and giving up. Where a car is fitted with a good infotainment system that is responsive, clear and easy to use (Lexus - all of these things your infotainment is not) then what's the point of AA or carplay? What does it do that a properly sorted infotainment system doesn't?

• Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, i-s said:

Carplay and Android auto are merely car manufacturers waving a white flag - admitting that they can't do infotainment for $&i£ and giving up. Where a car is fitted with a good infotainment system that is responsive, clear and easy to use (Lexus - all of these things your infotainment is not) then what's the point of AA or carplay? What does it do that a properly sorted infotainment system doesn't?

Cost? Why should a manufacturer go and spend millions on the development and maintenance of satnav and other connected apps when they can now have one out of the box, with better functionality, which most people know and like?

It's a bit like expecting a car manufacturer to develop its own tyres... 

That's true, although Android Automotive, as used on the Polestar 2, is a better option in that case. Which is kind of what I mean... would you bother with or want Android auto if the vehicle had Android Automotive on-board?

On 1/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, DanD said:

Cost? Why should a manufacturer go and spend millions on the development and maintenance of satnav and other connected apps when they can now have one out of the box, with better functionality, which most people know and like?

It's a bit like expecting a car manufacturer to develop its own tyres... 

Same reason other Manufacturers do,We pay over the odds for our cars compared to other Countries ...........Im sure Lexus/Toyota can afford it.

I am not sure this is still the case... Is it?
One thing is sure, cars sold in the UK are far better equipped than they are on the continent.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have a Mercedes at the moment and the Mercedes me app is very good.one of the things I like is it has a tracker which means if your car is pinched the police can track it.a lot cheaper than having a tracker fitted ( if you wanted one ). if you car share that can be useful as well.the other things don't really bother me apart from  alarm and collision warning.( i.e. in car parks).

the one thing I thought lexus would have caught up with and is sadly missing on the CT is internet access for searches and traffic updates.also for 'what 3 words' which is a very useful tool for navigation.