Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying 'Sportiest' IS

12 hours ago, doog442 said:

The B58 engine in the 340i is a peach (good enough for the Supra) so I would absolutely encourage you to try one if thats what you're looking for ie performance for price. 

The BMW blown straight 6 really is one of the best combustion power plant ever made.

I've seen them been dyno to 600whp with upgraded internals. Its the pinnacle of the combustion engine without going into Supercar territory, which partly why I moved over to EVs. Once you have seen/owned the best there is its time to move on and try something different.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, noby76 said:

another rare compact sporty hybrid saloon to consider is the Infiniti Q50h. apparently hits 60 just shy under 5 secs

Infiniti are pulling out of Europe though, so soon these cars will have no official manufacture support. Though most Nissan garages should still be able to work on them.

@B80 If you haven't driven a 340i don't write it off until you have. In terms of performance it really does make the IS300H look like a 1.0 Fiesta, and that's without even taking into account the awful power delivery of the IS300H in comparison.

Yes the IS300H is like a mountain when it compares to reliability but sometimes in life you just need to take a bit of risk!!

The 340i isn't just fast, its properly quick.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:59 PM, B80 said:

@doog442 which black is the Lexus in your profile pic?  good looking car.

Its a stock pic but was the same as mine - Celestial Black. Looks brilliant when clean and in the sunshine, keeping it clean was another matter:wink3:

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

.In terms of performance it really does make the IS300H look like a 1.0 Fiesta,

but are you seriously comparing a 375bhp BMW to a 220bhp IS300h for straight line performance? ☺️ had Lexus drop in the GS450h's engine into the IS and boost Battery power up a bit for a total of 375bhp then it can be somewhat fair to compare 340i to an IS hybrid. 

4 hours ago, noby76 said:

but are you seriously comparing a 375bhp BMW to a 220bhp IS300h for straight line performance? ☺️ had Lexus drop in the GS450h's engine into the IS and boost battery power up a bit for a total of 375bhp then it can be somewhat fair to compare 340i to an IS hybrid. 

The 340i is actually putting out far more than 375bhp at the crank, they are almost certainly 375whp given how easily they can out run every other car in the small saloon class. Where as the IS300H will be barely 200whp.

The OP is considering both, for similar money you are getting close to double the power, that before the poor driverbility of a Toyota Prius drivetrain versus one that's good enough for a M3. On a twisty B road the 340i will be out of sight within a few corners, BMW knows how to make small fast saloons better than anyone else, its their bread and butter.

OP asked about performance saloons/hot hatches, on that front the 340i is a better car than the IS300H by a country mile in every department expect for reliability and fuel consumption.

My F Sport claimed its first Bavarian scalp yesterday. Sitting at some traffic lights, a 3 Series pulled up next to me and started doing that slowly edging forward thing. The lights went green, I floored the loud pedal and left it for dead. No need for Sport mode or anything. I'd love to tell you which variant of 3 Series it was, but I didn't get to see its boot lid.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links